MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > About this Forum
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 28 November 2013, 18:36
dbinokc
Just call me: DB #118

Oklahoma
United States of America
Why is login required to view?

I wanted to share some links to my build thread with some friends and family, but have discovered they have to have accounts. I do not want to put people through that just so they can see what I have done.

Is there are reason for this?
Old Thu 28 November 2013, 20:37
lonestaral
Just call me: Al #114

Isarn
Thailand
Send a message via Skype™ to lonestaral
I have wondered about that as well.
It does not deter the spammers, 3 today so far.
Old Fri 29 November 2013, 01:20
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
If you did not require login thing how bad the spammers would be.
Old Fri 29 November 2013, 05:28
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Yes this is to help keep the spammers out. We always are fighting this and I keep thinking about upgrading the forum to later versions to help. But don't really want to make to many changes to how the forum runs at the moment.
Old Fri 29 November 2013, 05:59
racedirector
Just call me: Bruce #122

New South Wales
Australia
I would warn against going vBulletin 5, it is an absolute abomination and sending current customers away in droves. I was a vB 2, 3 & 4 user for more than 10 years that jumped ship to another platform altogether rather than go anywhere near V5. V4 was bad enough on its own.
Old Fri 29 November 2013, 08:17
dbinokc

Oklahoma
United States of America
I can understand not allowing posting without an account. I just wanted to allow viewing without needing to have an account.

Regardless, I can just post a video on youtube when things get far enough along for me to take the time to do that.
Old Fri 29 November 2013, 08:24
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Mike,

There must be an option that allows viewing with out requiring login.
Old Fri 29 November 2013, 13:47
jask
Just call me: John

Kamloops B.C.
Canada
Somebody needs to admin. this site and having another set of options (and problems ) that come with guest users vs login users adds to the workload.
You might consider posting progress images with notes on one of the photo hosting sites and directing people there to view your progress. You can also use this as an image link to reduce the load on this site as well as allow additional albums for those members here who are interested.
The registration and login on this site are no more difficult than most sites and do not require personal or financial info. The ability to allow admins to identify or block users helps all of us to better enjoy this site.
Old Sun 01 December 2013, 17:38
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Thumbs up Works well..

I totally understand why this forum is set up this way and support it.

If you want friends to view posts without them having to log in, send them the information 'out of band', is my 'easy workaround' suggestion, or let them sign up and you can vouch, in good faith to them from your own experience that they don't get spam because of MechMate forum registration.

Administering any non-static site is not a walk in the park. My hat is off to Gerald and in the last few years Mike for keeping us focused on the task (MechMate wishing, building, and support), and the bad tasks of keeping this herd of cats going down the road the right direction with minimal spam and political asides.

Now if I could just convince SWMBO that I NEED a MechMate
Old Thu 13 February 2014, 03:56
mgdalena90
Just call me: mgdalena90

Lubin
Poland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
Yes this is to help keep the spammers out.
But this is about allowing people SEE forum, not WRITE posts. Spammers won't hurt you by just watching.
Old Fri 14 February 2014, 14:43
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdalena90 View Post
But this is about allowing people SEE forum, not WRITE posts. Spammers won't hurt you by just watching.
Mike's forum, Mike's rules. Not a problem for most of us! And Mike doesn't have to justify his decisions to us.
Old Fri 14 February 2014, 15:21
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Amen Brother!!
Old Sun 01 January 2017, 10:13
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I have been working on spam control yet again on the forum. I am going to upgrade soon and am currently reviewing options - Vbulletin latest or xenforo or phpBB. Leaning towards xenforo I think.

Another thing I have done today is allow users who are not logged in to view and search the forum.

I am hoping to get some renewed interest in this great platform, go share the love on your social media platforms.
Old Sun 01 January 2017, 12:57
dbinokc

Oklahoma
United States of America
Glad to see you could make the change. The forums have seemed less active compared to when I first arrived. Hopefully making it easier for new people see what is going on will get things going again.
Old Sun 01 January 2017, 18:41
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I agree, It is just tough to stop all the spammers !!!
Old Wed 04 January 2017, 06:05
racedirector
Just call me: Bruce #122

New South Wales
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
Leaning towards xenforo I think.
Definitely an excellent choice, a breeze to admin and excellent product. Has great spam controls built in plus a ton of free plugins to help (and some no so expensive ones that are pretty damn good too!) The guys that wrote Xenforo used to be at vBulletin and took everything good about VB and made it 10 times better and choked out the bad bits

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read