MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 70. Control Systems
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 26 March 2010, 10:13
GaryS
Just call me: Gary

Johnson City, TN
United States of America
Green and yellow switches

Next to the E-stop switches on each axis, there are green and yellow push button switches. What are they for? Sorry for the rookie question, but I have never used a CNC machine this large or complex.
Old Fri 26 March 2010, 10:49
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Gary,

These buttons are Yellow for pause (Mach - Freehold) and Green for resume (Mach - Cycle Start). Idea is that if you are away from the computer looking at some thing and you need to pause the machine you can do it with out having to run back to the computer. They are good to have.

Every one was a newbie or rookie at one time.
Old Fri 26 March 2010, 11:23
GaryS

Johnson City, TN
United States of America
Are they in parallel or series? Where do they connect to the breakout board?
Old Fri 26 March 2010, 13:05
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Where do they connect to the breakout board?
Gary,
You must refer to your BOB Manufacturer manual as there is no standard port #.
Reading those basics manuals ( which most are available from their website ) remain your best long term knowledge & source !
Old Sat 27 March 2010, 06:58
GaryS

Johnson City, TN
United States of America
It seems to me that a joystick, Shuttlepro or other remote control device is almost a necessity to zero x,y and z at the start of a job. Why not use this remote control for e-stop, feedhold and resume and eliminate the other switches?
Old Sat 27 March 2010, 07:34
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Safty first Gary….. That’s why
Can’t rely on a remote controlled device, which can fail, get interference, batteries dies on ya….etc
NOTING beats a good safe E-stop switch…at a few locations
Old Sat 27 March 2010, 07:47
GaryS

Johnson City, TN
United States of America
I agree on the e-stop, but three feedhold and resume switches? Seems like overkill.
Old Sat 27 March 2010, 21:07
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Gary, the concoction is there for a historical reason. If you had spend enough reading time. In the begining, there wasn't any HID so this was the most primitive solution to achieve the goal.
If you can device a better solution, please do share with us.
Old Sun 28 March 2010, 06:33
GaryS

Johnson City, TN
United States of America
Obviously, I'm no expert on CNC design. I hope no one is offended by my "attitude". I spent most of my life as a design engineer in the HVAC industry. My training and nature has lead me to question all aspects of a design. Maybe my intoduction to this design will offer a new perspective. For what it's worth, here it is:

Emergency Stops: First, it's good that there are multiple switches. You need to be close to one wherever you are. One problem is that they are all on moving targets and in the same general area. I am thinking about a predator fish trying to pick out a meal from a quickly moving school of small fish. Is there a moment of confusion? What if you had one e-stop on the x-axis and a few more on the base table?

Zeroing x,y and z: Normally one would start at the front left side but it could be anywhere on the sheet. Where's the keyboard for jogging? It seems like a hand held portable device would be very desirable. Wireless would be even better. (This is not my idea. It came from this forum.) Since pause and restart are not emergency conditions, these functions would be on the remote control. This would eliminate a lot of wiring since the remote is wired directly into the USB port on the computer.
Old Sun 28 March 2010, 06:46
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
One great thing about the MechMate is you can adjust the machine to meet your needs. If you want to change those features then do it.

I have the Logitech Game controller on my Dyntorch Plasma table and it works great. I probably use it as much to do straight cuts on my table as I do running CNC cuts.
Old Sun 28 March 2010, 07:28
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Gary,
No worries, we are here to learn & hopefully better ourselves & the design.
As mentioned, the design is there for a reason, if you had learn the cause, you would probably get on to device a better solution.
There are a whole truck load of solutions, with their fair share of pros' & cons'. eg a safety line all around,or a laser/IR parameter sensor? Do share with us your unique solution to this.
Old Sun 28 March 2010, 17:01
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
I think I remember reading that the switches are there so a hired hand does not come in contact with the computer/controller. This way he just sits there changes out the board hits green button. See a potential hazard hit the yellow button fixes problem hits the green button. When the brown stuff hits the fan he pushes the big red one. With some of the work ethics of individuals these days it might be hard for them to do this with out texting someone or playing a game.

The wiring shouldnt be that much more. Its 1 length 7core wire and 1 length 2 core wire.

50 dollars in buttons = minimum wage
Cnc Operator = a professional salary

Last edited by Regnar; Sun 28 March 2010 at 17:05..
Old Sun 28 March 2010, 23:17
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Russell, your read that correctly. We sometimes go for a week without touching the keyboard - the minimum wage operator only works with those buttons on the machine.
Old Mon 29 March 2010, 04:37
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
I have rarely used the buttons on the machine but I know if I need them they are close by. Espically the E-Stop.

I don't use my air bags on my truck but I am sure happy that they are there.

I have a shuttle-pro and I use it all the time. I use the keyboard to log into my computer and to input a number when it needs to be done.
Old Mon 29 March 2010, 07:19
GaryS

Johnson City, TN
United States of America
As with most other posts on this forum, a good exchange of information. I will be building my machine for my own use only. I never considered the production environment.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read