MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > The Market Place
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 22 February 2014, 12:45
blurrycustoms
Just call me: Alex

TN
United States of America
Lightbulb Automatic Tool Change Spindle Made in the USA

Hello MechMate Forum:

We'd like to take a brief moment and humbly introduce our AVX automatic tool change spindles to the community.

Blurry Customs has poured 3 years of research and development time into the "Avenger" series of spindles culminating to date in our AVX3 spindle featuring:

AVX3
-3hp 18,000rpm Spindle motors
-ISO25 Tool taper
-Dual ABEC 9 Precision Angular Contact Bearings
-Operates on 100PSI shop pressure
-Simple control interface
-24vdc fan cooled
-.0004" max runout at taper
-Weighs just 17lbs
-Made in the USA
-1 year parts and labor warranty

Priced at $3,595.00

AVX3 will be featured on our new IMAVX line of desktop routers but is suitable for any machine type in this power range, a great fit for a MechMate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up43wZ4W_PE

We are starting an additional production run that will be shipping in late March. and would like to offer MechMate users the following deal in this production run:

Buy the AVX3 configured as above with 4 balanced ER25 toolholders, 4 forks, and a Hitachi NES-1 3HP VFD for only $4,000.00 + shipping.

If you are interested in this opportunity please send us an email at info@blurrycustoms.com and mention that you want the MechMate deal!

Thank you for the opportunity to share.
Old Sun 23 February 2014, 16:24
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
...that is a good deal!
I have enjoyed the products I have purchased in the past and your customer support has always been great.

Mechmaters - this is a good vendor for the MM community if your interested.

Regards,
Sean
Old Mon 24 February 2014, 00:04
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
US$4K is a lot of money...
Old Mon 24 February 2014, 05:42
Fox
Just call me: Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
It's all relative Ken, not that I spend that money every day, but have you looked at other manufacturers ATC's and their prices ?

Blurry seems like a small shop to me, I hope the product takes off for them ... and they may be able to drop the price a bit. I guess their pricing is now based on small production runs in the US.

Offtopic: I never have understood when the market is flooded with these cheap chinese spindles you can buy for under 500USD, no one is offering the ATC verions of them for the same attractive pricing (say 1000-1500K). I think there's a huge market for an ATC in that price range. But the Chinese versions are also going for 2000-4000 USD. It does not seem a ATC is THAT much more expensive to produce, so the higher prices must be based on demand, but maybe I am wrong ?

Last edited by Fox; Mon 24 February 2014 at 05:45..
Old Mon 24 February 2014, 17:06
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
I'd love to get in on this.
Time to start selling some major work, I guess.
Old Tue 25 February 2014, 05:09
alan254
Just call me: Al #95

mystic ct
United States of America
Can the tool changer be adapted to the 5hp Colombo I purchased from you a few years ago? It is still running fine.

Al
Old Tue 25 February 2014, 15:51
blurrycustoms

TN
United States of America
Hey all, thanks for the feedback so far. If we can get enough interest here, maybe we can work out a special group type buy on these and increase our batch quantity = lower pricing.

Al,

Unfortunately no, the new AVX already has a fully integrated 3hp motor in it already.
Old Tue 25 February 2014, 17:33
tnarch
Just call me: Tuan

Milwaukee WI
United States of America
Alex, that's nice to hear you'd consider a group discount. $4k is just slightly out of budget. What's the minimum order for you to consider a price break?
Old Wed 26 February 2014, 02:36
Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
yes, maybe if you can state an order number you need and the price drop you will be able to offer. A stack of qties and pricedrops would be even better. Then people could state: "I am interested at price XX". And if enough people do, it's a go, otherwise no.

Although an MM specific offer is nice, maybe you need to refer this to a central CNC zone thread, so numbers can increase more easily ( cause I doubt the clientele in the MM community all want an ATC..
Old Wed 26 February 2014, 11:24
alexhhisc

Bluffton SC
United States of America
I seen that ATC over a year ago. In my case ATC will increase productivity by 50%.
But I can not find anybody who used that product in the past. How many units did you sell in the past? How long the bearings will last?
Old Tue 04 March 2014, 06:39
blurrycustoms

TN
United States of America
Just so there is no confusion here:

The retail price on this spindle only is $3,595.00

ER25 Toolholders purchased individually are $150.00 each

Most of you would be able to source your own VFD's to drive this unit, so for the purposes of this proposal, let's leave that out.

A single larger, COMMITTED, production run will certainly impact pricing, but there is also the matter of support commitments that would impact pricing as well.

My desire would not be a hands off approach to supporting this spindle, obviously, but the expectation of support significantly handled by us, in addition to other users in a setting like this, could also have a serious impact on the pricing that we can offer.

I am open to getting other communities involved, so maybe a platform like Kickstarter might provide a better outreach strategy for this project? Personally, I think you MechMaters could get it done :-), but am open to suggestions. Of course we would need some evangelists to spread the word, not matter what format this comes in.

Thoughts?
Old Wed 05 March 2014, 06:40
blurrycustoms

TN
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhhisc View Post
I seen that ATC over a year ago. In my case ATC will increase productivity by 50%.
But I can not find anybody who used that product in the past. How many units did you sell in the past? How long the bearings will last?
We have 60+ units in the field. Our spindle bearings, just like all other high precision dual angular contact spindle bearings, willl have a life dependent on the environment they are subjected to. Typically this in the thousands of hours, but that is about as specific as I am allowed to be, given the wide variation on how spindles are treated, good or bad.

I can say, that good warm up and cool down procedures, and ramping lead in strategies will significantly lengthen the life of any spindle bearings.

Old Wed 05 March 2014, 11:12
Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
The old units or the new ones !? I only know one owner on the old ones, but unfortunately he has not run his yet, so no feedback from him :-D YouTube does not show any vids beside yours I believe !?
Old Wed 05 March 2014, 11:17
blurrycustoms

TN
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
The old units or the new ones !? I only know one owner on the old ones, but unfortunately he has not run his yet, so no feedback from him :-D YouTube does not show any vids beside yours I believe !?

60 units of the AVS model, just over 12 units of the new AVX. The primary difference in construction being the integrated motor, same bearings, drawbar assembly, etc.

This is from a customer in Canada who has had his for awhile now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGeR3Phw2OI

I like his actuated tool rack! :-)
Old Wed 05 March 2014, 17:44
blurrycustoms

TN
United States of America
Here is our proposal for this discounted group rate:

We are offering AVL3 with the following specifications:
-3hp 18,000rpm ISO25
-220VAC 3P Induction Motor 300Hz
-ISO 25 tool taper
-100psi required air pressure
-24vdc Electric-Fan cooled
-Weight: 16lbs
-1 year warranty

We need to get a commitment to a production run of 30+ units to get this group in at $2500 per piece. That's $2500 + shipping for the AVL3 spindle only for a group buy discounts with a minimum of a 30 unit production run. We can further discount appropriately if the commitment grows beyond 30 units. Once we have 30 units committed we can provide a detailed plan for production schedule as this would be specific to this group buy.

Note AVL vs AVX is only a lighter full aluminum frame, same otherwise.

Some have seen this already, but just in case:

http://youtu.be/6HwdviSxIY8

Part of the point of the group buy scenario is to get you all involved in spreading the word. We are trying to offer an extreme value for the dollar here in terms of functionality, and hope the pricing above can get enough people excited about this to make it happen.

We will also be setting up a support forum at atcspindle.com so that we can all help each other with getting every range of system setup with this functionality. We have a lot of experience with Mach, and have some units on some blue machines, and some yellow machines, etc, so all is possible, but we'd like to compile all of that in one place. So it is an open source of this setup information.

What do you all think? Is this something you can work with?

We can also get some really good pricing on ISO25 ER25 toolholders with the right quantity commitment. Retail they are running about $150 a piece.
Old Wed 05 March 2014, 20:16
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
I think the market for an ATC spindle is very limited. Even at $2500, that's 1/3 or more of the total cost of a lot of these machines. And even at that cost, with toolholders, collets and VFD's, and you'd still be closer to $3500-$4000.

A bigger issue to me is that your company has a reputation of not actually producing anything, as your webpage is full of renderings, and very few actual pictures. None of your customers seem to post any pictures either, as A Google Images search turns up nothing. You'd think there'd be some pics of machines you've been selling for over 5 years somewhere on the internet.

Now, this thread has shown that you do have some satisfied customers.
But I just don't see enough of a market for these to take off.

Having to pre-order probably outs people off as well. You'd probably sell a lot more if they were in stock ready to ship.

Good luck.
Old Thu 06 March 2014, 08:43
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Ger,

I think you are right, sales would be easier if they were 'off the shelf'. but as a 'small company' the cost of capital required to 'shelve' 30 units 'just in case' (spelled risk) probably eats up the 'sure sale' of pre-committed sales.

I see both sides of this. But if people want the deepest discounts, committing up front helps make sure the vendor can still make money for the reduced price.

It looks like a great system and if I had a MM running (and making $$) I think it would be a no-brainer. Just not the position I am in.
Old Thu 06 March 2014, 09:11
blurrycustoms

TN
United States of America
Jack,

If you are Nashville, we are neighbors! We are over in Hendersonville, and would be happy to have you by to come check out our small operation where we are producing real parts and machines! The shop is not much to look at right now, but we are making progress after the move!

Ger,

If I may humbly respond to your comments:

I hope we can be considered to have accomplished something if we are down to 1/3rd of the machine price vs the 3/3rd's of the machine price that a typical Italian unit might cost someone. I hope that's at least considered a small bit of progress.

We have taken note of comments in the past about renderings on our site, which is why if you took a peak at our new website today (still a work in progress), there is not a single rendering on it. Just real pics and vids of our core lines, IMAVX and AVX. www.blurrycustoms.com

You'll also note that we are indeed shipping AVX from inventory, for the time being, and if that is the primary concern, then we have that available at $3,595. :-)

Our goal in this case was exactly to offer something special in terms of pricing to this and similar communities, and the method of pre-orders seems to accomplish that in the most efficient fashion.

By the way, we are not looking to finance a production run with this scenario. We would anticipate a small deposit (10% or so) to ensure that we have true commitments on quantities, and then once production is complete, balances would be due at the time of the spindle's shipment.
Old Thu 06 March 2014, 09:35
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
I wasn't saying the price was too high. $2500 would be an exceptional price. If you could sell them off the shelf at that price or even $3000, You might sell a lot of them.
My point was that it's more than the average user would be willing to spend. As someone mentioned earlier, their limit would probably be $1000-$1500. I know this is not a feasible price point.
Old Thu 06 March 2014, 10:35
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Doing the math, it seems like the spindle @ 2500, plus the toolholders, forks and VFD, sourced seperately, would be bumping against your first offering of 4k, all inclusive. ..
Am I doing the math right?

Last edited by darren salyer; Thu 06 March 2014 at 10:45..
Old Thu 06 March 2014, 11:08
blurrycustoms

TN
United States of America
The first offering was a spindle, vfd, 4 toolholders/forks, for $4000.

For simplicity sake, my thought was to just offer the spindle in this group buy. If we want to set it up as a package deal with a VFD, 4 toolholders, 4 forks. We would be at $3250 per package in the group buy of 30 spindles.

So the group buy knocks off $750.
Old Fri 07 March 2014, 18:53
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Do you take trade-ins? lol

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read