MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 09 March 2015, 20:25
chefrc
Just call me: rick

Grande-Anse
Canada
Question ice cutting cnc

I am looking to build a cnc to cut ice
I need to have a 20 inches z axe clearence with a 10 inch cutting depth.
Rack pignon system
anyboby have a plan
Old Tue 10 March 2015, 16:23
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Look forward to seeing what you come up with! I know it can be done, but I haven't seen anyone do it YET on the MM list!
Old Tue 10 March 2015, 16:52
chefrc

Grande-Anse
Canada
still looking for a plan anaybody out there with one
Old Tue 10 March 2015, 19:36
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Suggestion: Take the base plans, and modify them to your needs. ... No one in this group has built one I can find, but people do modify the builds to their own needs. ... Just saying, don't expect builds of MM to be without some learning and doing, and often teaching others what you did (right or wrong, good or bad). IMHO, the sharing of our experiences makes us more than the whole of any individual.

Relax and enjoy the journey.
Old Tue 10 March 2015, 23:44
jask
Just call me: John

Kamloops B.C.
Canada
I am guessing from your name that this might be for culinary ice sculptures? if that is the case you might be better served by building a machine with the "Z" axis in a horizontal position and the ice block set on top of a rotary table.
Bonne chance!
Old Wed 11 March 2015, 01:41
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
CNC to cut ice.
Can you be more specific with your needs?
Old Wed 11 March 2015, 04:23
Fox
Just call me: Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
He does not have to worry about heatsinking his control box.. Maybe insulating it
Old Wed 11 March 2015, 04:30
chefrc

Grande-Anse
Canada
Well, the cost of actual cnc machine that does ice ranges from 60 k to 30 ks. At that cost , if i wait until i have the budget to buy it i might be retired. And for for me to prove the feasability at that cost is impossible. It a market that i have to develop once i hace the machine and see how far it can improve on my business.
So i have started to look and read about making my own cnc. last year i took on making a horizontal band saw that is normally made to cut wood into boards and made one to my spécification for ice.
It workes. I saved about 80% of the cost. ( if i count my time it wont be but i am cheap labour when it come for myself haha)
So after reading and reserching. i beleive i could to that ( cnc) and so i researched for plans on line.
Came upon 8020cnc.com
i ordered that plan. But as someone said earlier in the message . its not without Learning and mistakes.
Learned some thing from him but the plans could not be modified for my needs dur to his plans had a moving table instead of a moving gantry.
He refered me to ccncrouters parts.
i am know dealing with them. but the gantry is set on there table. I need to set the gantry underneath the table with an extra tarck in the middle of the table underneath to help the gantry stability because of 20 inch clearing due to ice and weight of ice block.
an ice block is 20 inches wide, 40 inches tall and 10 inches thick.
Also having the gantry attachement underneath it will give me protection i beleive.
so that where i am at so far.
Old Thu 12 March 2015, 01:02
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Ok, you really don't need a full fledged CNC machine, a PLC controlled automated machine will do just fine.
Old Thu 12 March 2015, 04:22
chefrc

Grande-Anse
Canada
this is what i found on the plc.
There is major difference between PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) and CNC(Computer Numerical control) is in execution of program. PLC is sequential but CNC is conditional. CNC is a type of application used to control a multi axis machine tool for example milling machine or lathe. PLC is actually a general purpose logic controller that is used in PLC progamming software. It is used to allow the user to create their own application. . In a CNC machine if you want the modification then you just change a variable in the computer.
What is easier
Old Thu 12 March 2015, 04:28
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefrc View Post
What is easier
Sitting on a couch is easiest.
Old Thu 12 March 2015, 09:38
jask
Just call me: John

Kamloops B.C.
Canada
We do things a little differently in Canada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5lbibXnOcA
Old Thu 12 March 2015, 15:54
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
I'm not entirely wrapping my head around your description of a gantry under the table, but I'd venture to say the MM platform is easy to adapt for different purposes.
A rotary table and vertical spindle, as mentioned before would work seem to work well, although linear slides would probably be needed over v-wheels and rails.
Show us some pics of existing commercially available ice carving machines.
We all love a challenge, and to collaborate and brainstorm, but so far you are spoonfeeding us very limited info and expecting miracles of information in return.
Old Sat 14 March 2015, 18:16
Borko
Just call me: Techstarve

Veles
Macedonia
What do you think of 6-Axes Mechmate?
Nobody have done it yet.

As I understand what you will be using the machine for, 6-Axes will be ideal for that job, even more you can machine bigger ice blocks.

Only an idea
Old Sun 15 March 2015, 20:32
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
What would you use as a control system for a 6 Axis machine?
Old Sun 15 March 2015, 20:51
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Buy a used 6 axis robot arm and put a spindle on it. It would be cheaper and easieri

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=271659536669

Last edited by smreish; Sun 15 March 2015 at 20:57..
Old Mon 16 March 2015, 06:25
normand blais
Just call me: Normand

montreal
Canada
A bit old 3D ice printing http://www.arch.mcgill.ca/prof/sijpkes/ice/

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read