MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 30. Y-Car
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 18 November 2006, 09:20
fabrica
Just call me:

Is a second motor needed for the other side of the Y-car?

In you CNC profile cutting thread, by requsting others to Cut 4 motor mounts in one go, you have left the option open for guys to have a second motor for the Y car. My question is when you weigh the costs and the benifits of the second motor where do you stand. If it gives us better results why don't we think of incorporating the second motor at the start itself.
Old Sat 18 November 2006, 09:37
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Quite frankly, the MechMate Y-car doesn't need a second motor.

The ShopBots use to have a flimsy y-car with a strange "holddown" system. The cure offered by ShopBot was to install a second y-motor. Quite a few people put 2 y-motors on their ShopBots. ShopBot have since improved their y-car and I havn't heard of people using 2 y-motors for their new cars.

Putting a second y-motor onto a MechMate is straightforward mechanically, but it is just one motor too many for a basic controller. You will need another driver and there will be some experimentation to get 5 drivers working off one parallel port.

The advice to cut 4 motor mounts is based on the cost being only about $5 each.
Old Sat 18 November 2006, 09:55
fabrica
Just call me:

Ok, Accepted.
Old Fri 11 April 2008, 10:24
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmclain View Post
People are wondering what parts are in the Mamba Kit. It is every thing under the "Full Options" category, plus a extra motor plate.
Attachment 1091

I am taking orders for the next 6 or more.
Joe or Gerald,
Why the extra motor plate?
Old Fri 11 April 2008, 10:39
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
I supposed it was for a second y-motor?

If that is the case, I must point out that I ignored a second y-motor when doing the cable chain position for the gantry. You might have to lengthen the chain a bit and/or re-position the brackets.

Also realise that the "Full Options" will only work with the geared OM motors.
Old Fri 11 April 2008, 11:28
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gerald,
Is there any advantage to having 2 Y motors? I can see it on the X but dont know if the extra one on the Y would improve anything.
Old Fri 11 April 2008, 12:07
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
On the old ShopBot, a second y-motor did help a lot, but that was because their y-car was a flimsy, bolted-together, affair that "racked" easily. That car consisted of 2 angle irons and 2 lengths of uni-strut which formed a "collapsible" rectangle.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read