MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Motors & their mountings
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 20 March 2011, 21:29
SEMPERFIDELIS61
Just call me: SCOTT

ROCKLIN
United States of America
Please Help Me Understand - Belt Drive vs. Geared Stepper

Please Help Me Understand - Belt Drive vs. Geared Steppers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please forgive my ignorance but I have a question or two concerning the concept of Belt Drives and Geared Steppers.

[also sorry I posted this in the Introduce/Planning section....just started up here and didn't realize there was this more appropriate section for my post I will do a better job going forward with the posts.]

I understand the general concept that creating a geared reduction via a pully/belt or geared drive will provide more torque to the system and let the motor run faster and I guess therefore more efficiently (less heat & noise?).

Do the geared drives create to much play or backlash for very high quality 3D work? My main concern is generating very nice finishes on carved mantles and furniture panels. Would a belt drive be a better way to control the smoothness of texture?

I just ordered the parts kit from Mike and his belt drive plates to cover my options.
Old Sun 20 March 2011, 22:05
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
This subject has been discussed to death on this forum and others. See Backlash in the gearhead of the Oriental Motor PK296A2A-SG7.2 as an example. Bottom line is that there is no clear "winner" of the debate . . . . . excellent 3D work is being done with either option.
Old Sun 20 March 2011, 22:15
SEMPERFIDELIS61
Just call me: SCOTT

ROCKLIN
United States of America
Thank You for the Link

Sorry, I have been reading and learning as fast as possible. I am completely new to this and only yesterday learned there were even was such things as geared steppers. I do try to search for appropriate posts before wasting anyone's time. I don't mean to offend and respect the fact that you took the time to respond.
Old Mon 21 March 2011, 03:39
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Maybe I am just lucky. When I started my machine I read one should use 20 tooth pinions. I went an bought 20 tooth METRIC pinions....had to make a sleeve to give me more meat to put in grub screw...but it worked...and is still working well for me. I don't have gearboxes, belt reduction, just straight Motinking steppers on the racks and I cannot complain about cut quality.
Maybe setup has some part to play in how well the machine will cut.

This is from the inlay that I did on the weekend.
DSC01690.JPG

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read