MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 01 April 2010, 11:11
PEU
Just call me: Pablo

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Talking Introducing the M³ - The MechMateMonster

First of all thanks Gerald and Mike for this wonderfull forum, it allowed me to build the machine I always dreamed.

Based on the plans provided I extrapolated dimensions so they can be used with large granite slabs produced by a local company, biggest in Argentina.
These granite pieces are usually cut to be managed by small size machines, but when I managed to start talking with the VP of engineering of this firm things got wild, they asked me if I wanted to be a contractor for their newly created large slab division (LSD for short)
The LSD provides granite pieces for new luxury buildings, big $$$ if you ask me.

So a few months back I started to draw a model in SolidWorks, its size would be: 15.3m x 11.4m (50.2 x 37.4 feet for you inch ppl)

Here is a render of such a beast:

Moving such a beast was something way over my head, so I asked the local Fanuc people (a division of General Electric) they told me they can provide a solution based on a new breed of redcap servo motors (google) their new flagship marooncap(TM) ferrofluid servos

The marooncaps are capable of handling without reduction (reductions won't work in this environment) the awesome force of 1850Nm or about the force of a rural truck, more about the motors later.

The 35 HP Spindle, weighting "only" 150Kg (about 300lbs) is capable of cutting 25mm granite like a hot knife to butter, custom manufactured by an US company, SharpCustoms, its capable of running at 15000 RPM, imagine the 75Kg axis rotating at this speed, its frightening.

The electronics, provided by Fanuc, need a lot of power, thats why we asked the power company to install a small substation capable of delivering 500A peak and 350A continuous current, this is being built as I write in a specially prepared basement.

The base frame, weighting only 4Tn needs concrete floor, thats already in place, so no problems here.

Phone just ringed and I have the Fanuc people asking me some specifics about my marooncap needs, I need to answer before the long easter weekend, will post more later.

Thanks for looking, comments welcome of course!
Old Thu 01 April 2010, 11:18
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
I hope you have your operators wear a safety back brace when they are loading those 15m x 10m x 25mm sheets onto the table.
Old Thu 01 April 2010, 11:55
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
and sure you are not using V bearings looks like it in the pics atleast
Old Thu 01 April 2010, 12:17
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Is this for real or just another April Fools gag?
Old Thu 01 April 2010, 12:29
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
with the V wheels certainly Alan
Old Thu 01 April 2010, 13:31
quadtech
Just call me: Prasad

Hyderabad
India
SharpCustoms, eh? You going in for their
HOHA (Human Operated/Human Assisted) tool changer too? :-)

Last edited by quadtech; Thu 01 April 2010 at 13:35..
Old Thu 01 April 2010, 14:13
Travish
Just call me: Travis #75

Wa
United States of America
hmmm...your model does not look at all to scale to what you have described. I call April fools! I see the big smile at the top of the post as well.

Good one. You had some of us going for a bit.
Old Thu 01 April 2010, 21:54
PEU
Just call me: Pablo

Buenos Aires
Argentina
Hopefully all of you enjoyed Aprils Fools Day, cheers
Old Thu 01 April 2010, 22:48
max.elliott
Just call me: Max

Kansas City
United States of America
darnit, I told my wife about it not realizing I had been had. Good one.
Old Fri 02 April 2010, 02:25
cvriv.charles
Just call me: charles

New Jersey
United States of America
LOL. Sorry I didnt fall for that. 50ft x 37ft,.... thats just stupid huge! LOL.
Old Fri 02 April 2010, 09:52
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
Good one! Got me!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read