MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 22 December 2011, 18:42
Jasonmm92
Just call me: Jasonmm92

Lapeer, Mi.
United States of America
Workin a Plan - Lapeer MI USA

Hello All

I am a new member from Michigan , I am 42 years old and I got CnC FEVER BAD !!

But I got no skills that would help me make a table. Also I have no interest in making a table . I dont want to learn how to cut steel, weld , or half the other stuff I have read in this forum. All my skills and talents come after I build the table.

So I want to create a step by step list of what needs to be done ... partly so I can wrap my head around it and parlty I can pick the jobs I can do and figure out a way to pay someone to do what I can't.

I know you guys arent going to like that but thats me. I know me.

So after reading these forums for a while I have figured out this plan ...

A. order the plans
B. pick a table , I want to do 4x8 mdf board
C. find some Omish shop to cut my metal frame and weld my table per the plans
D. paint the frame and move it to my garage

get all this done and get back to you guys with pics ofcourse ..

is the above correct ?

Whats E ? F ? G?

Can my plan work ?

Is there any hope for a guy like me ?

Should I just give up and order this ?

http://buildyourcnc.com/blackFoot48v40.aspx

Do you forsee any part of this job you guys couldnt teach me or I could pay someone to do ?

I do have some computer skills and vending machine repair skills but thats about it.

I got a IQ in the 160 sometimes and I am not afraid.

Can I suceed ?

thanks Jason

Be brutal , you cant hurt my feelings.
Old Thu 22 December 2011, 19:53
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
You can buy machines already completed from name brand vendors, Even a used one from someone closing up shop or upgrading. I think that would be a better route for you. I will tell you to stay away from the wooden solutions. By the time you tried to farm out all the parts for a MechMate build, you will have missed the point and not be able to support your own machine. At that point you will have paid retail for all the pieces and having the work done and not be able to fix it if it breaks. You could have picked up the phone and ordered a complete machine from any of the main stream CNC suppliers and have it up and running in a week or three plus have support from people that will at least act like they care when you call.
Old Thu 22 December 2011, 21:05
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Skip A~Z & do the following list
1. order a complete machine on ebay
2. Write a cheque for the machine
3. Hire someone full time to do all the CNC CAM, CAD & operate the machine.
4. Sit back in your couch & order that someone to do all the work for you.
5. don't forget to write the pay-cheque every week...
Old Thu 22 December 2011, 22:24
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Jason,
If you are really set on having a Mechmate, and not building it, then check the marketplace area. There were a few people that were talking of selling their Mechmate. Maybe one of those old posts is still for sale?
Old Fri 23 December 2011, 04:13
Jasonmm92

Lapeer, Mi.
United States of America
I knew you guy werent going to like my idea ..
I know you guys fancy yourself as machmate elitist ...

But its okay ... I understand ...

I did miss speak when I said I had no desire for the actual machine build part itself , I have some , but what I really ment to say was , in the interest of actually getting a machine done , I didnt have to have a intimate knowledge of each and every part or 'step' .... for example ... I dont want to weld , I never want to weld , I never want to learn how to weld , I will help but lets just weld the table please ..

I also miss spoke when I said I needed to higher/pay someone for what I couldnt do , I have a TEAM , I live in Michigan , 9 out of 10 of my friends are unemployeed contractors each with his own skill or talent ...

It was never " heres the keys to the garage , go build/fix my machine. " ...

I can't afford a $20,000 machine , hell I can't afford a $10,000 machine , but I can afford a machine for $4000 - $7000 at $400-$800 a month till I finish.

I got a few more memebers of my 'team' to talk to ... before I commit.

I know the answers to my questions are on this forum , your going to either help me or not.

either way ...

You can't stop me , you can only hope to contain me. MUSH !!!
Old Fri 23 December 2011, 04:21
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Jason,
I can speak for myself only, but we don't dislike the idea....nor disdain it.
Your quick initial plan is correct -
- order plans
- pick a table size
- get someone to help with the build of the base table is a great idea. Many, many blokes here got assistance with their tables. Heck, I helped two people with their tables and got commissioned to do a third for another MechMater. The options are available.

The Mechmate looks like a large task, but the sum of all it's parts makes it complex - not each task being complex.

If your "collective of friends" are in, then I am certain you will do fine.

Mechmate is almost up to 100+ known machines, and countless others being built without record around the world as a DIY project.

The forum is very supportive, ask wisely.....research well.
Old Fri 23 December 2011, 04:26
Jasonmm92

Lapeer, Mi.
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino11 View Post
Jason,
If you are really set on having a Mechmate, and not building it, then check the marketplace area. There were a few people that were talking of selling their Mechmate. Maybe one of those old posts is still for sale?
I checked some of those out .. Dates seems old .. I am ofcourse interested in a cheaper/unfinished builds or parts.

I can't afford a used machine that will do 4x8... I also am afraid of a used machine.

So I MUSH !!
Old Fri 23 December 2011, 04:35
Jasonmm92

Lapeer, Mi.
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by smreish View Post
Jason,
I can speak for myself only, but we don't dislike the idea....nor disdain it.
Your quick initial plan is correct -
- order plans
- pick a table size
- get someone to help with the build of the base table is a great idea. Many, many blokes here got assistance with their tables. Heck, I helped two people with their tables and got commissioned to do a third for another MechMater. The options are available.

The Mechmate looks like a large task, but the sum of all it's parts makes it complex - not each task being complex.

If your "collective of friends" are in, then I am certain you will do fine.

Mechmate is almost up to 100+ known machines, and countless others being built without record around the world as a DIY project.

The forum is very supportive, ask wisely.....research well.
Hey right on Sean , that what I am talking about ..

Okay so far I am right ...

Whats BRIEFLY whats my D, E and F step?

So I can research it. Will I find the D,E and F step in the $100 plans ?

thanks dude thanks

want to see a little about me ? at 1st its looks like a rich guy complaing about his toys , but its really about a guy who loves his brother ...

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/inde...737#msg1185737
Old Fri 23 December 2011, 04:35
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Not gonna even attempt to change your mind.

Dig the forum, go through every thread, word by word... Ask question wisely...
Maybe after a few weeks of digging, could cure your CNC fever... or the other way...

Than you decide.

PS, you can build a MM without lifting a finger, but you can't build one without reading....

I like lazy people, I'm hopelessly lazy myself
Old Fri 23 December 2011, 04:55
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Jason,

You are going to find that we expect you to do your research. You need to find 2 or 3 builds and start reading. Most of the people on this forum that have built their machines have read almost every build thread before we started building. If you want help you have to show some effort from your side. If you are as smart as you say, then you will find a way to get help with the things that you can not do. We are more then eager to help builders that need help but we are not going to do the research for you. Read and read and read and .....
Old Fri 23 December 2011, 06:05
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I agree with Nils and Sean. Your second post on how you want to build is more like it. We just want to make sure your successful with your build, If you have a bunch of help and are going to build your machine with the help of your friends, we get that. I read your other thread and commend you on all you do for your brother !!! Just get into these build threads and read, get the drawings and study them with your buds over coffee and/or a cold one.

Once your ready, just let me know. I have all the parts (99% anyway) in stcok and ready to ship except the straight steel which you get locally .

You will find us a hard bunch that will help you if you help yourself. You will love the MechMate once it is up and running and I fully get the budget build and that is why I keep these kits broken out like I do.
Old Fri 23 December 2011, 07:14
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Briefly, E F G.....
Table built and standing....then if you haven't done already,
- build gantry and rail system. (including rack under x rails)
- build z slide and router/spindle mount
- install cable chain and management system
....have a "rolling chassis" at this point with no motors, electrics or otherwise.

- do electrical control cabinet and completely wire, run cables and control outbound in cable chain.
- install motors (a lot of choices here....direct drive, gearbox, transmissions) All have a cost impact and all work.
- Get PC up and running with Mach 3, EMC or other software and work out the control and final tuning of machine.
- install spindle, router or sharpie pen and start cutting/drawing.
Old Sat 24 December 2011, 06:56
Jasonmm92

Lapeer, Mi.
United States of America
Look what I found.

http://techshop.ws/index.html

Its 1 hour from me.

Might be a better choice for a guy like me.

Jason
Old Mon 26 December 2011, 14:00
Jasonmm92

Lapeer, Mi.
United States of America
Plan Ordered !!

Plan Ordered !!

How much of the table can I do without ordering the kit ?

thanks Jason
Old Mon 26 December 2011, 14:02
baseball43v3r
Just call me: John #96

Glendora (California)
United States of America
all of it...?
Old Mon 26 December 2011, 15:25
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
You can get started without the parts on the base table. You will need the parts once you get to the X axis and up. The grinding skate will be needed to do the rails for the base table, but that can be done after the base is built. You will need the laser cut and bent parts once you get to that point.
Old Mon 26 December 2011, 17:16
Jasonmm92

Lapeer, Mi.
United States of America
So I got my plans ..

So I got my plans printed and tommorow I am heading to the techshop.

I can't believe I can actually read all of the plans and understand most of it !!

I am thinking this techshop gives me some real different options than most of you here.

I am sooo excited !!

Cya tommorow ..

Jason

Last edited by Jasonmm92; Mon 26 December 2011 at 17:36..
Old Mon 26 December 2011, 17:18
Jasonmm92

Lapeer, Mi.
United States of America
question ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHead View Post
You can get started without the parts on the base table. You will need the parts once you get to the X axis and up. The grinding skate will be needed to do the rails for the base table, but that can be done after the base is built. You will need the laser cut and bent parts once you get to that point.
Wont I beable to 'mill' my own ? per the plans ? thanks Jason
Old Mon 26 December 2011, 19:32
baseball43v3r
Just call me: John #96

Glendora (California)
United States of America
yes you can mill the parts, especially with access to the techshop. Most people buy the laser cut and bent parts because not everyone has a lasercutter/bender near them, and the sets have proven to be consistent, reliable, and are gaurenteed (pretty much) to work. If you make your own, there is a chance you may make a mistake or two, but you could do it much cheaper. It's all about the tradeoff.
Old Mon 26 December 2011, 22:52
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Actually, the only parts which I strongly recommend not to make your own is the ball bearings, rack & pinion, bolt & nuts, timing pulley. Others you can fabricate in the techshop. You can even go as fas as to hack-saw the laser kit if you are prepare to work your muscles...
Old Tue 27 December 2011, 14:01
Jasonmm92

Lapeer, Mi.
United States of America
I went to the Tech Shop today ... PICS !!

I went to the grand openning / tech shop today and it was AMAZING !!

No stopping me now ...

http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee35/Jasonmm92/

enjoy !!

Jason
Old Wed 28 December 2011, 06:53
Jasonmm92

Lapeer, Mi.
United States of America
You guys seem bitter ...
Old Wed 28 December 2011, 06:59
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Jason, get over yourself! From day 1 you have made it clear that this is going to be a contest between yourself and the rest of us because you deem yourself unique. Well, there is nothing special about you. We have some some way more interesting characters here with bigger abilities or disabilities than you. Do not make your participation here a challenge or a contest!
Old Wed 28 December 2011, 07:03
Jasonmm92

Lapeer, Mi.
United States of America
maybe your right ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
Jason, get over yourself! From day 1 you have made it clear that this is going to be a contest between yourself and the rest of us because you deem yourself unique. Well, there is nothing special about you. We have some some way more interesting characters here with bigger abilities or disabilities than you. Do not make your participation here a challenge or a contest!
your 100% right , way too much coffee , way too much time , i just signed up for 8 classes in january and feb ... i will see you in march .. J
Old Wed 28 December 2011, 07:06
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Jason,

We all want to see you have a great build and post a great thread on your project. We are just focused on the MechMate and you will find what you need in the forum to help you get your machine up and running. No need to think us a sour bunch. There are plenty of chatty forums out there and most of us really wont engage unless you can bring a soild topic or question to the forum.
Old Wed 28 December 2011, 07:09
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I like the techShop idea. I wish I had that here. Would have save me a ton on equipment !!!. Looks like all new gear and I hope the instructors are good and you get to learn a lot.
Old Wed 28 December 2011, 07:36
Jasonmm92

Lapeer, Mi.
United States of America
i will be hanging out in the [B]10. Base Table [/B]threads till I have something to s

i am supper excited ofcourse

everything i build , i build for my family

i do fancy myself a genius , just ask me

he is 100% right , shut up and show me

no worries Jay

i will be hanging out in the 10. Base Table threads till I have something to show ..
Old Wed 28 December 2011, 14:37
Jasonmm92

Lapeer, Mi.
United States of America
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
just so you know , humor doesnt transfer across cultures ..

when issues of humor , not from your culture , you really dont know XXXX ..

here is paper you might want to read ...

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...78216602001819

i am special , this is my movie , this is the part in my movie where I make a mechmate , your just in it , never forget it ....
Old Wed 28 December 2011, 15:24
revved_up
Just call me: Craig

Hartland, MI
United States of America
Im from Michigan and your humor didnt translate well for me either.

Ive been on this site for more years than some with completed builds and still have a few things to tackle before really starting seems time is the hardest thing to find when it comes to building this.
Old Wed 28 December 2011, 15:26
revved_up
Just call me: Craig

Hartland, MI
United States of America
BTW work quickly at your tech shop. There have been similar business in Michigan before but none of them lasted past the first shop accident when the liability insurance went through the roof.

Looks like the only thing they really have to offer for your build is the use of a welder and possibly the laser cutting but I dont know the specifics of how powerfull of a laser that is needed to cut the steel for the parts. For the cost of the 3 month membership you could buy a good used mig welder or a brand new stick welder and then you still own them after the build.

Last edited by revved_up; Wed 28 December 2011 at 15:35..

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read