MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Common Assemblies & Parts > Driving Mechanisms: Rack/pinion, gears, screws, belts & chains
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 11 September 2017, 11:24
Jrllee
Just call me: Jr

Ontario, NY
United States of America
Need some MM plan info before spending $ for the plans

Gentlemen: I am new to this site and I am hoping someone can give me some insight as to the MM plan specs for guide rail extrusion sizes for the 3 axis as well as linear guide tyspecs before I Layout the cash for the plans. I would like a little more info before spending the money. I am currently considering the CNCrouter parts kit.
I am a custom cabinet shop dealing with kitchens, bathrooms, entertainment centers and hoping to get into fireplace mantels. I currently use eCabinets software which is only useable for Thermwood CNC machines which are out of my price range. So I am going to need to deal with new software that will enable me to generate a cutting file as well as realistic renderings for customer presentations. Fusion 360 and Aspire are being considered and any thoughts/input is appreciated.
Jr
Old Mon 11 September 2017, 16:00
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
There's a lot of information in the base table section

The MechMate is a welded steel design using standard structural shapes, and in the base design, V wheels, not linear guides. The rail for the V wheels is either custom ground by you, or bolted on. There are linear guide versions that folks have built, but that is not covered in the plans.

You will need to be comfortable with basic steel work, including cutting, welding, grinding, shimming; none of it is super difficult, but it isn't a bolting extrusions together kind of project. The benefit in the end is a heavy, stable device.
Old Wed 13 September 2017, 04:22
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
You want to see a MechMate in action doing cabinets look up Kornerking.

As far as the guides, the V rails work great. Don't fall into the thinking that you MUST have linear rails because the high cost machines do. That is one reason they have a high cost.
Old Fri 15 September 2017, 21:14
digger
Just call me: Milosh #113

Toronto
Canada
Check out Polyboard software. It is parametric and is able to generate dxf...

Milosh

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read