MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Sat 07 September 2013, 13:16
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
If you are gentle with your plunge rate, your spindle bearings will last a long long time.

I use the left over CY cable from mains to my cheapo VFD. no problem till now. my main is 230V 50hz too.

I love my solid chunk cast aluminium spindle holder. It make the cncrouterpart holder looks like a toy. I would strongly suggest you mill one from a solid chunk of aluminum.

zero phase reactor is the glamour name for Zero-phase crossing Solid State Relay (SSR). You don't rreally need it. My 3kW runs without a hick without one.

Ferrite core? I got mine from RS component. I'm sure you can find them in Element14.

Mount VFD in enclosure? Its going to be tedious when one wish to show-off to visitors... I'll save the money on the enclosure for a chunky spindle holder.
Old Sat 07 September 2013, 13:42
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
As long as the line reactor is within your amp specs that would work fine.
Old Sat 07 September 2013, 14:28
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I believe it is. thanks again Pete.

Ken, I plan to work the hell out of it (just kidding). I do have access to a full machine shop, I guess I'd need a plan of action after I actually receive the spindle. It looks almost cheaper to buy one of those precast chunks from china.
Old Sun 08 September 2013, 15:18
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
The Chinese precast chunk is what I am using.
Old Tue 17 September 2013, 19:54
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Well Fellas, I received my spindle and vfd yesterday. Started into the manual for the vfd and started wondering if there's any one particular thing that I should focus on first. If anyone has a Huanyang 2.2kw vfd and could impart any of their experience of do's and don'ts, or stumbling blocks, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Wed 18 September 2013, 00:42
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Don't plug it in until you go through the forum once over.
Old Wed 18 September 2013, 03:19
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
That's always good advise.
Old Thu 19 September 2013, 03:24
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Well I didn't win the lottery
Old Thu 19 September 2013, 03:59
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
do a search. Its been well documented.
Old Thu 19 September 2013, 04:28
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Thanks Ken, I had found many you tube videos that should help greatly.
Old Sat 28 September 2013, 05:42
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Should the vfd and control panel share the same power source/circuit or is there a recommended isolation of the two? Should the control box supply the power to the vfd? The VFD requires 10 amp (8a actual) and the control box about 16a max my best guess. Is running the power to the vfd from the control box cool?
Old Sat 28 September 2013, 06:22
pblackburn

United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ayres View Post
Should the vfd and control panel share the same power source/circuit or is there a recommended isolation of the two? Should the control box supply the power to the vfd? The VFD requires 10 amp (8a actual) and the control box about 16a max my best guess. Is running the power to the vfd from the control box cool?
In industry, a separate power supply in not preferred because of not having one lockout device. I would definitely use the same line feed for the same machine. Isolation is from the form of EMI filtering.

"Is running the power to the vfd from the control box cool?"

That is the normal way of an industrial control panel. Some machines have multiple panels and multiple junction boxes the size of the Mechmate control panel/electrical disclosure.
Old Sat 28 September 2013, 06:30
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Thank Pete, I thought so. I'm not in the 'Industrial Field' so I always question hear-say. Also you are saying that the power should be after the Mains switch, is that correct?
Old Sat 28 September 2013, 06:35
pblackburn

United States of America
Yes. Think of the common denominator here. Router. Now everything electrical that is needed to run, control the machine should be under one main disconnect. The laws are getting to be that even air dumps are required for machines if air is used by the machine unless the air dump is more dangerous to the operator.
Old Sat 28 September 2013, 06:38
pblackburn

United States of America
You may not be in an industrial setting but your insurance company will note it if you ever need them for a claim. I always try to cover mine and try to kick theirs.
Old Sat 28 September 2013, 06:47
pblackburn

United States of America
Did I answer your question Tom?
Old Sat 28 September 2013, 07:14
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Yep, Again thanks! Sorry for the delay had to spray some cherry doors real quick.
Old Sat 28 September 2013, 08:00
pblackburn

United States of America
No problem, sometimes I don't type exactly clear explanations. I haven't had much time with the machine lately, building a large shed for storage now (mini garage really) but I will try to keep up with what is going on here.
Old Sun 29 September 2013, 05:39
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I hate to keep calling on everyone's expertise but can anyone explain the difference between a 'B' curve and a 'D' curve when it come to circuit breakers and also which would be better to use in our case. Opinions are welcome.
Old Sun 29 September 2013, 06:45
pblackburn

United States of America
It has to do with the time and trip. Why do you ask?
Old Sun 29 September 2013, 06:51
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Well I need a breaker for the VFD and didn't know if a VFD has specific characteristics that may trip the breaker unneccessarily. I'm probably over thinking it.
Old Sun 29 September 2013, 07:09
pblackburn

United States of America
I don't think you will have a breaker the will be close enough in size for this to be a problem. I would recommend a using the VFD recommended protection sizing. The trip curve is a little different for each manufacturer of breaker but should be spec in their datasheet. Look at page 2 of this pdf in the upper right corner for the curve characteristics of this style breaker. http://www.alliedelec.com/images/pro...E/70007227.pdf
Old Sun 29 September 2013, 07:16
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Thanks Pete, I've seen some comparative charts already for specific units, I guess it doesn't really matter as long as its protected properly.
Old Sun 29 September 2013, 07:21
pblackburn

United States of America
Some motors need a large overcurrent ranges for the in rush. In this case you are needing the in rush for the VFD capacitors.
Old Sun 29 September 2013, 08:13
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
The spindle is 8 amps and the VFD is rated at 10 amp out, but being a Chinese unit, the manual is not really clear on anything. I would assume a 12 amp breaker is alright, whats your take on it?
Old Sun 29 September 2013, 08:52
pblackburn

United States of America
The output is rated at 10 amp. If it is single phase in and three phase out, then your in current is much higher. My Hitachi drive was to be fused at 30A and it is 12A output. It is single phase 230VAC in and three phase out.
Old Sun 29 September 2013, 09:20
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Well crap, I'll have to go through the manual again and see whats recommended, although I couldn't find it before.
Old Sun 29 September 2013, 10:10
pblackburn

United States of America
Looking through their manual, it does not say, you are correct. Check with others here on the forum. I will not be much help with that because I bought the spindle alone and a different drive. Sorry I can't help more.
Old Sun 29 September 2013, 18:25
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Thanks Pete. I'll do some investigating.
Old Fri 04 October 2013, 09:55
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Well, I ran a bench set-up for the spindle and all was successful, speeds, accel and decel times, etc. Do have some questions regarding some of the odd set-up voltages which I will do some research and maybe mess around with. I'm sure that some of the parameters have little to do with the spindle and mostly with other types of motors for other uses. I also found that a 14g wire will not solder to the cheap connector that comes with the spindle, the pins are too small but they do accept a 18g comfortably. I guess I'll have to find one that will work at the local electronics retailer.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts