MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 09 November 2013, 06:15
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
They say 'Go Big or Go Home'. I like it. I can't wait til its up and going.
Old Sat 09 November 2013, 12:07
Mrayhursh
Just call me: Hurshy

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Talking Bro I know the Feeling

Yep I know the feeling. Three car garage isn't big enough. I checked with local zoning to see what the largest mini barn I could build. Takes my wife's stuff back there and pray for a hurricane to do its magic.
Old Sat 09 November 2013, 12:31
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Oh I already have the 2 car garage (full) at the house, my shop next to the house is a 30 x 40 and I still feel I need to add a second floor for more 'junk'. This summer I almost bought a 9000+ sf home that had a 52' x 52' garage just for the garage itself...The guy was not ready to sell.
Old Sat 09 November 2013, 13:29
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
When we went house hunting at one time, the realtor asked what kind of house we wanted. I suggested we needed an old big-box grocery store, carve out 2000sq ft to live in and the rest for 'storage'. He got the hint.

You are obviously in the same shape

Enjoy.
Old Sat 09 November 2013, 13:52
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
That's funny! No its not that bad, I'm just not a good housekeeper when it comes to the shop. The shop makes money when running, clean-up is for when there is a little slow or down time. Unfortunately, when I'm done with a job I walk away from that part of it hoping to come back to it later. I once asked my grandson, 'how do you spell the word lazy?' he responded, 'Lay-Z-Y'. That's how it's really put into context. I'm not that nearly that bad...actually my wife has to have things neat as a pin, the shop is my "Man Cave"

Last edited by Tom Ayres; Sat 09 November 2013 at 13:55..
Old Sat 09 November 2013, 14:11
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Finish the machine before starting the building Tom, bring some closure to this expensive project.
Old Sat 09 November 2013, 14:18
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I promise I won't build another building. thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow.
Old Sat 09 November 2013, 14:27
pblackburn

United States of America
You can build one, just finish this project. I have been looking forward to see this one make it for a while now.
Old Sat 09 November 2013, 18:46
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
You got it Pete, I'll do my best.
Old Thu 21 November 2013, 17:11
pblackburn

United States of America
Turkey Day is rapidly approaching!!!! How about your prediction? Still on track for completion?
Old Thu 21 November 2013, 21:05
Mrayhursh
Just call me: Hurshy

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
never commit to a date. Just ask Obama about ACA
Old Fri 22 November 2013, 04:14
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Well guys I am trying, but it doesn't look like completion by thanksgiving is going to happen. I've got to sand blast and paint the MM, paint the shop floor and move the mm into its permanent position. Then level, then, then, then...
Old Fri 22 November 2013, 05:21
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
At least I'm not rolling out a failing project to start with
Old Fri 22 November 2013, 05:48
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Lets stay focused on our projects and lets non MechMate projects get covered elsewhere please.
Old Fri 22 November 2013, 05:50
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Pete, it's coming along nicely though...
Old Sat 23 November 2013, 12:38
pblackburn

United States of America
I think Mike is trying to tell us that Politics are best left elsewhere, I would agree. I do not get upset about one persons view on anything but many do and would cause problems. It can cause a disruptive flow to the learning aspect that this forum provides. I would assume that is why Gerald originally and now Mike do not allow Avatars.

Mike (MetalHead), maybe there should be an 'Etiquette' thread in the 'About this forum' Topic.
Old Sat 23 November 2013, 12:40
pblackburn

United States of America
Tom, I thought it was an ambitious end date. Nothing wrong with that. Maybe you can treat yourself with an early Christmas present instead.
Old Sat 23 November 2013, 15:28
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Pete you maybe right. I'm still plugging away at it though, just finished grinding the first v rail to completion, on to the next. Probably should have done all at once in stages but I noticed on the first 2 passes that the bolt (height adjustment) ground down too quickly, by the time I got to the other end it had almost gone too far. Glad I caught it. I found that the bolts had a small concave lip on the end of the thread and basically had no meat touching thus wearing out quickly to the flat inner part. A quick file to flatten it all the way fixed that, but still proceeding cautiously.
Old Sat 23 November 2013, 16:50
pblackburn

United States of America
The big thing I will tell you and hope you have done is to make sure you are keeping a photo timeline. You will love it later when you look back and see the process as it unfolded. I wish I would have taken more. I have to selectively pick which pictures to make public to share. I know how things can be misused so I try to keep a lot of stuff private. I have more pictures that you cannot see on Flickr (marked Private) and looking back at those, it was a good time. Funny how a mind works. You say you will never forget it and then you see a picture and say 'I don't remember that'.

The next good reason for it. You build a second one, they will be a great reminder. Something like you just posted is worth a thousand words to others and to the next build when you/they see it.
Old Sat 23 November 2013, 17:05
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I've taken a few pics via cell phone, camera, etc, the phone got killed, the sd card won't transfer to the iphone so I got to start again. You are right though, it will be good to review the build later. Never did get a video or pics of the table being turned over with the tractor, too busy making sure there wasn't a mishap. I hadn't realized how big a 14' table really is and how much room it occupies until that day it was brought in the shop.
Old Fri 06 December 2013, 21:40
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Alright fellas, Progress report...X rails cut, ground, bored, stops welded, primed and 2 coats of paint, needs sanded and another coat... Y rails cut, half ground, bored, no paint yet...gantry welded, one side bored, because I went with heavier material I'll tap the tubes directly. Main beams bored and tapped, still haven't sandblasted the table yet (figured I can do that when I get the gantry completed and when its not raining). The y car has been completed for a while and the z stuff is done including the spindle mount which I fabricated myself from aluminum (copied from a simple mount). If time allows tomorrow I'll finish up the last of the rails and might get to some blasting. I won't start leveling rails and stuff until I can move it into position sometime this next week. Still have to fab the energy chain supports yet Pete you were right, a whole lot left to do, but its moving faster now. Thanks for all your support.

Still have no pics to offer up, son has a few though.
Old Sat 28 December 2013, 04:56
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Update, Finally got a chance to spend some time in the shop, Painted the frame and gantry, ended up using spray cans (9 large cans of primer and 12 of blue)(still could use more) because too cold outside (20 degrees) and because of that I now have blue hair from climbing under the table. Call it 'Smurf Syndrome'. I attached the x rails, I'll place the gantry on this morning and get it rolling, bore and tap the beams to attach the e-chain supports. I do have a question about the proxy/stop blocks, what thickness of the material is OK? I bought 1 X 1 angle at Home Depot and it seems a bit thin. Should I fab them or just order them from Metalhead Mike?

Next is final assembly of the control box (I may end up changing some of the configuration, not sure yet) and placement on the side of the machine, attaching the e-stop boxes, rough in wiring, final assembly of the y car and rails, mount and connect spindle and vfd, pump, cooler and water lines. Still a lot to go, but this is the fun stuff.
Old Sat 28 December 2013, 08:02
pblackburn

United States of America
The blocks I mounted on the rails are different than the plans. 10 10 248 and 10 20 248 I modified into an L shape out of longer piece of steel. The block portion is the same size as the prints but the I added the thin strip for the proximity switch location with a safety distance calculated in as seen here. I made a completely different block for the B axis with adjustment for racking as seen here. The M1 18 20 I used .25 angle and flat steel instead of .2 and .3 square stock.

They are not that hard to make just tedious.
Old Sat 28 December 2013, 21:27
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Pete, How does that adjustment work for the racking? Are you using micro switches for your proxys? I ask because I don't see any holes in the rail.
Old Sun 29 December 2013, 04:03
pblackburn

United States of America
Most machines will use a normally open switch wired NC and monitor for a loss of signal voltage or a mechanical switch held closed looking for a recess to cause a change of signal (I do not prefer the later as I have seen mechanical switches break internally and the plunger not release). This is where I am assuming you are stating about a hole in the rail where the prox switch would be constantly be sensing the rail and when the rail would disappear it would switch off. I have my home switches (PNP prox switch) set to look for a gain of signal to trigger. That is why the one plate is elevated. My thought process was that since the machine will most likely be moved, it would be nice to have a fine adjustment for the home switch for adjusting the racking plus since our base is not a huge chuck of cast milled out I figured a little movement is most likely going to happen. Early on I read that most set the racking by powering down and pulling the gantry against the stops and powering back up. This assumes a perfect world where nothing would change. I elected to do it electronically with home switches. I must admit that I have not gotten to the mechanical Emergency stop switch yet and I am using the proximity switch for the Estop for the time being. The inherit downside of this is if there is a break in the wire the signal will not make it back to the breakout board to trigger the Emergency stop circuit. This is why the piggybacking of home and Estop from the same source is not preferred to me. But not being endowed with wealth and money leaves me with the lesser option for the time being. The Estop would be the one wired NC looking for the loss of signal on my machine and would be just prior to the hard stop blocks.

Does this answer your question?
Old Sun 29 December 2013, 05:29
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Well Pete that makes perfect sense to me. There's always more than one way to skin a cat. Thanks for the explanation.
Old Sun 29 December 2013, 20:41
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Pics of Ol'Blue

Here is a few pics to show the progress.

and

And the rail picture before I pulled the tape off the V part

Still working on the rest for now
Old Mon 30 December 2013, 14:52
pblackburn

United States of America
Wow does the underside picture make it look long.
Old Mon 30 December 2013, 17:43
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Well it is 14 feet long, 168 inches or 4267.2 mm long. I tried to follows Darren's lead as far as size and storage underneath. Don't you love all the blue paint everywhere? What a mess. Its OK though because I'm painting the floor white epoxy once everything is moved back into some sort of order. The shop has become the catch-all and really needs reorganizing (one day).
Old Mon 30 December 2013, 18:11
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Love it.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read