MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 21 April 2010, 14:38
David Bryant
Just call me: David #99

Western Australia
Australia
Building Boats #99 -Perth, W.Australia

Hi All
I am planning at the moment, thinking of starting with a "kitchen table machine" to get the electronics and software up and running.
Any other Perth builders around?
Cheers
David
Old Wed 21 April 2010, 23:11
shaper
Just call me: Jed

Perth, WA
Australia
David

I'm in Perth also, have my control box done and running staring on mechanics, PM me if you'd like to discuss etc.
Old Thu 22 April 2010, 08:11
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome David!
Old Sun 25 April 2010, 10:24
Planedriver
Just call me: Rob

Fairlands
South Africa
Hi David,

Welcome.

I'm going to be visiting Perth next month for 3 weeks. Love the place and thinking of moving there.

Good Luck on your build.

Rob
Old Thu 13 May 2010, 03:02
David Bryant

Western Australia
Australia
Just installed
an X box controller onto the "kitchen bench" project.
Worked VERY Well
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/ind...,12753.40.html
Old Thu 13 May 2010, 15:06
David Bryant

Western Australia
Australia
David Bryant Building in Perth Western Australia

Hi
I work at a TAFE college (Oops that is so old school we are Central Institute of Technology now)
I found an old mechanical XYZ axis machine with OLD steppermotors so I have helped a group of students to get it running. This is the "kitchen bench" project.
We are using Jaycar kits (modified)as the stepper drivers and a PMDX-122 Bob. A solenoid valve controls the air to a 1/8 inch die grinder on our bench test. The boss was happy with the outcome and will provide the cash for the students to make the wiring neater and "less of a tempory nature" Then we will experiment with some servo drivers.

Yesterday students installed an X box controller onto the "kitchen bench" project. Worked VERY Well
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/ind...,12753.40.html

I am collecting parts for the MM build as I learn the software, spent most of this weeks pay on the V wheels.

Cheers
David
Old Fri 14 May 2010, 05:00
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome aboard
Old Mon 24 May 2010, 15:26
David Bryant

Western Australia
Australia
Smile Construction underway

Hi
I see I have been moved to construction started.
Good thing as I welded the first bit of my MM on the week end.

The photoes show my metric ground Z plate finished and on the mill.

The other two photoes show the old machine the students at work got running this month. It has been a good experience for them and can cut a massive 115 X 100 X 100mm.

"Management" was so impressed they gave us $ for a bigger machine to be built by the next group of students.

I have to get my hands on it to learn about Mach3 and software things.
At least my kichen bench project moves

Cheers
David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic_0525_600.jpg (19.3 KB, 3113 views)
File Type: jpg Pic_0523_598.jpg (20.9 KB, 3117 views)
File Type: jpg Pic_0517_596.jpg (22.1 KB, 3109 views)
File Type: jpg Pic_0517_595.jpg (26.4 KB, 3113 views)
Old Sat 19 June 2010, 03:52
David Bryant

Western Australia
Australia
Table being welded upside down Q?

Hi All
I have welded my legs, drilled the MDF Base board and bolted the chanels to the board. I have the 10 10 306 tacked in place with the table upside down.

How accurate do I need to be with the level on the table before I weld the channels (10 10 3020 to the main beams (10 10 310)?

Do I need to be more accurate when I install 10 10 304 braces?

I am not sure if the weight will allow the whole table to flex and I get it flat by adjusting the feet when I turn it up the right way, or if it is ridged enough to just rock on three out of four of its legs on a non flat surface and any non flatness of my set up would be set in when I weld the next section.
Thanks
David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic_0619_628.jpg (28.9 KB, 3041 views)
File Type: jpg Pic_0619_629.jpg (25.6 KB, 3027 views)
File Type: jpg Pic_0619_630.jpg (17.8 KB, 3041 views)
Old Sat 19 June 2010, 21:10
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Hi David

In answer to your question I don't know HOWEVER it is always best to start right to stay right.

Look at my thread http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...?t=2398&page=3 post number 85, where you will see that I used sheets of paper on top of my timber blocks to get a nice level surface.
The paper will burn if welding too close to it so watch out for that.
My table is bolted but the principal is the same.

Regards
Ross
Old Sat 26 June 2010, 17:42
David Bryant

Western Australia
Australia
Hi Jed

I got a student to draw a circuit board in EAGLE and it generates the G code for each side and the drilling g code.
I watched over his shoulder.
Other G code out from the wizards on Mach3.
Last week I got the lic for works copy of Mach3 and I think it is easy Cad and the extensions to Mach3.
I have not got these loaded yet.

I just got permission to bring the small machine (OTAZ) home for the next month for me to learn the software.

Steel came from Da Lenia Metals (check spelling) The cuts on the small bits were excellent. However the cuts on the main beams and cross beams were by hand rather than on the slow off cut saw.
(I am sure if you asked they would improve on this.
They cut the main beams at 3270mm for me so I have some cutting space without a table under it.
I have just got the cross braces at the longer end to think about as the 101 010 304 would go through my free cutting area.

I have put the last three cross beams under the table on with large tack welds so it can be cut off easily in the future when need arises.

Yesterday I put on my new safety boots, thanks for the reminder, turned the table the right way up and moved it to the other side of the block as a neighbour is already upset by the cutting and welding noise This was not as easy job on my own...

Cheers
David
Old Sat 07 August 2010, 01:43
David Bryant

Western Australia
Australia
Z axis Settable up and down limit installed

Hi
After the delay adding concrete to the carport floor I made some progress today.
I wanted to be able to set a prox sensor to stop the machine on the z axis if the tool travels too far down.
To do this I chose an 8mm diameter prox NPN NC and tapped several holes to mount bent steel tags to.
The steel tags, one for the Up position and one for the down position are easily adjustable.
I notice after building that it would be slightly easier if the angle holding the prox was longer.
By making the sensor tags out of steel the sense distance is maximised to make it easier to set up (Not Aluminium).
Cheers
David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic_0807_652.jpg (21.5 KB, 2870 views)
File Type: jpg Pic_0804_650.jpg (17.8 KB, 2872 views)
File Type: jpg Pic_0804_648.jpg (18.8 KB, 2871 views)
Old Sun 17 October 2010, 03:05
David Bryant

Western Australia
Australia
Hi All

How do I change the Title of my build thread?
Thanks
David
Old Sun 17 October 2010, 03:18
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Hi David,
You cannot change it, the admins are the only ones that can change it.

Cheers
Tony.
Old Sat 30 October 2010, 19:16
David Bryant

Western Australia
Australia
Found an unusual bug today. The Toroidal transformer has two 45V windings that I wired in parrallel to get the current to drive the four stepper drivers.
However it took me a while to determine that the toroidal transformer has different number of windings in each of the two main output windings. Whenever they were in parrallel they would blow the input breaker. I checked the phase markings and they were correct. When I measure the open circuit voltage one is 39V and the other is 54 Vac. Both are labelled 45. This is within the ac range for the motion king drivers I am using so I will rewire to suit.
I assume that no winding is shorted as I do not have a high ac current with no output load.

Cheers
David

Last edited by David Bryant; Sat 30 October 2010 at 19:18.. Reason: spelling
Old Sat 30 October 2010, 23:41
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
The supplier of that transformer needs to know that he supplied a dud transformer, or you should tell us who it is so that we can steer clear of that supplier.
Old Tue 02 November 2010, 17:30
David Bryant

Western Australia
Australia
Hi Gerald
I returned the transformer. It only had Australian standard and NZ standard marks on it so you should not worry about getting one! The wholesaler took it back with detailed description of the fault.
I preffer not to put out negative publicity due to one fault. They did not have any other 500vA transformer in stock so now I am setting up on a 300VA, 40 Vac input to the stepper drivers, a little low by my calcs.

Comments please.

The new transformer (By the same manufacturer) shows no Vac between non connected windings (like I got with the faulty one) and I tested with windings in series and parallel.

So onto more wiring and redoing my 45Vac wiring I messed up to do the testing on the other trnsformer.

Cheers
David
Old Tue 02 November 2010, 17:46
David Bryant

Western Australia
Australia
Hi
Just went to bolt in the new torroid and the perrished rubber washers in with the new torroidal had metal bits on it! one was 3mm across! Hmm Close look at the old insulator, that did not go back with the old one is "embedded with filings". No evidence that this was the cause as I did not notice any cuts under the otherone.
Cheers
David
Old Sat 12 March 2011, 15:54
David Bryant

Western Australia
Australia
Hi
After a break and a trip overseas I got back onto the MM this last week.
Chinese spindle installed with VFD.
I used these VFD settings
> Firstly, adjust the PD013 to 8 (set the setting to factory setting)
>
> Secondly, adjust the PD005 to 400
>
> Thirdly, adjust the PD004 to 400
>
> Finally, adjust the PD003 to 400
>
> Finally, adjust the PD144 to 3000
>
> Note: you should set PD013, PD005, PD004,PD003, PD144 in order. It mean
> you should firstly set PD013, then PD005, then PD004, then set PD003,
> finally set PD144.
>
> Note: after you set the all above parameter, then please recheck the
> PD005, PD004, PD003 value is 400 or not to confirmed that you already
> set it. (note: please do not check the PD013, or all the setting will go
> to factory setting)

This gave me front panel control of the chinese VFD from Lovehappy shopping.

When the spindle first ran it was like a sewing machine so much vibration I only ran it for a couple of minutes. ??? With and without cutting bits it was vibrating.
On investigation I found an earth missing and two V rollers on the Z axis loose.

I am using a cooling system using the supplied fittings and thin black poly tube running off a water supply pump for a caravan and an old oil cooler. Had not temp issues

When I put a new cutting bit in the spindle seamed a LOT smoother.
I am not sure if the balance is correct or just sometimes the nut is in the correct spot.
Suggestions to test please...........
I then set PD001 to 1 and wired the spindle control to external using the DCM and FOR inputs in series with a NO Contact on the emergency stop relay and the spindle control relay from my PMDX J7 NO and Com. This gave me the expected start stop control of the spindle via Mach3. ( I plan to add a (Normally open) pressure, or flow switch in series with these so the spindle will not run without coolant.)

I have an xbox controller on it so did a first drawing and cut with manual control. How can i set the acceleration rate when driving it with the xbox controller?
The machine moves well under its own control, I think without loosing steps, though when the xbox controller is given a full move it skips steps unless controller is moved gently to maximum.

Time to start the "fine tuning"
Anyone got a link to a recommended sequence to squaring axis and setting up?

Any experienced operators in Western Australia?

Thanks
David
Old Mon 14 March 2011, 03:47
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
David

The PD settings seem to be the same as I used.
I am wondering why you did not run the spindle without the nut and collet in place if you suspected balance was an issue.
Also you seem to add information that is unrelated to the first issue eg. movement of the axis.

To make absolutely sure everything is set OK in the VFD, do the factory reset, that is PD13 set to 8, then enter all the numbers again.
Secondly ensure your wiring to the VFD and the spindle is intact both the 240 volt input and the three phase output to the spindle.
Third run only the spindle without a cutter, nut or collet in place.

I do not understand your spindle control method but if the spindle feels smooth on manual rotation, I would also put this on your possible list of causes eg something like a pulsed signal might be going on.

Not all that much help I admit but that is all I can think off at present.

Regards
Ross
Old Mon 11 April 2011, 23:30
David Bryant

Western Australia
Australia
Cut my MechMate sign on my MechMate! Acrylic mirror cut filled with liquid paper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0354sm.jpg (73.1 KB, 2330 views)
Old Fri 15 April 2011, 06:35
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
David, the machine pops into the light, well done.
Be sure to make a few things with your new Mechmate CNC machine and show us all the results.

FYI - Mrs Nesmith of Mike Nesmith from the Monkeys fame, got rich inventing liquid paper, personally I think she actually invented the smallest paint tin ever.

Regards
Ross
Old Mon 22 August 2011, 17:40
David Bryant

Western Australia
Australia
Jarrah Slab table

Hi All
Joined and flattened rough sawn Jarrah. Tree fell on a friends farm a few years ago and he had it rough sawn.
I finally got some and have got the top done.
Cheers
David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0769D.jpg (248.1 KB, 1971 views)
Old Mon 22 August 2011, 23:12
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I like people using the MechMate as a planer... works very well..Like REAL wood as well.
Old Tue 23 August 2011, 01:16
David Bryant

Western Australia
Australia
Even programed in spreadsheet to write the G code
Old Tue 23 August 2011, 04:26
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Great job, nice timber too.
Every time I use my machine I learn more about what it can do (and what I shouldn't do to !!)

Regards
Ross
Old Sun 27 November 2011, 01:15
David Bryant

Western Australia
Australia
Hi Guys
I have had an intermittant problem where the computer resets.
machine stops suddenly and computer does a post reset reboot.

I have added noise filter on computer ac supply, no change.
Changed the plastic case around the reset button as it was not mooving well, Ok I broke a bit off but still no change to the fault. Thought about a new computer case and supply but as the shops are shut I kept looking.

I found the power supply to BOB low about 3.2V
Changed this and now has a solid 4.7V and added an extra power supply cap on BOB 5V

Just run for twice the approximate time it was taking to fail without a hitch.

My Question: Would a low voltage on the BOB cause a PC to reset?

Cheers
David
Old Sun 27 November 2011, 04:15
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Hi David

Can't answer you question directly but the single most common cause of a machine resetting is RAM. If unmatched sticks are present in the memory slots this can also be a possible cause but sometimes it is just a stick that gives up periodically.

You can remove the 2 reset push pins on the motherboard if you think their might be a short. You only need the 2 power button push pins to run the PC (LED and Reset are both unnecessary).

You don't mention swapping out the PC, I would definitely do that if you can get your hands on one.

Regards
Ross
Old Sun 27 November 2011, 05:06
David Bryant

Western Australia
Australia
Good ideas Ross
I have another computer set up at work not being used.
Computer is very old not sure if RAM is matched.
I will set it up to swap after the next reset.

Thanks
David
Old Mon 05 December 2011, 03:53
David Bryant

Western Australia
Australia
Hi Ross
I have put a new power supply in the computer and it has not stopped since (the RAM i got second hand did not work). So it is cutting smoothly.
I have setup a backup PC and testing the driver gets a huge variation, up to a few milliseconds, in the speed tests. It is running at 2.6GHz
Any suggestions?

I have ordered a set of plans for something to build on the MechMate

http://www.f-boat.com/pages/News2/F-85SRconcept.html

Cheers
David

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read