MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 05 April 2009, 17:22
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Working On A Drag Knife for Vinyl! #117 - Bassett, VA

Hello all,

Thought I'd introduce myself, Tom Ayres, master woodworker by trade. My knowlege of cnc's is small, I almost bought a unit for $175K for my business. I just couldn't justify the $6k+/mth payment, quite an unsettling feeling of that kind of debt. Glad I didn't, but in the research process learned how much I need to learn...

Thought I'd apply my need for learning, so i've taken up electronics, my 11 year old son is into computers and has an interest in robotics. What better way to combine the two and my focus on detail, teach my son and myself something thats a strong life lesson and not to mention something that is also potential money generator!

Overall still very new to this and any support is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Tom
Old Sun 05 April 2009, 18:59
Medemt
Just call me: Dan

Avon, IN
United States of America
Hey Tom,

I am very new to this site myself. I found it by accident one day and I have not stopped reading posts and making a few Inquiries. I also spend a fair bit of time studying the drawings and relating them to the threads on this site. I am getting costs for all of the components and working out other logistical issues. Since I am travelling alot right now with my job, I will not start anything until I know I can put maximum effort into it.

I will say that this is a great site. There are some really great folks here and they seem to being so willing to help each other out. I have talked directly with some and am making arrangements to visit some guys that are either making a machine or have one running. Don't be shy about asking questions. As I said people here are very wiling to help. I have asked some dumb questions and have not been made to feel like an idiot - a sign of a quality group of people.

I spent a fair bit of time in Basset,Virginia year ago at the Furniture plant.

Well, look forward to seeing your build record. Good luck.

Dan
Old Sun 05 April 2009, 19:17
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Welcome Tom and Dan,

It is a great site and the machine is even better. Most of us come with different expertise or none. Mine is software and I was able to still build a machine. If you have a question(s) some one will answer it or Gerald will. You have to do the leg work but we will be happy to assist you if you run into a boulder. We like to see lots of pictures. It is always interesting to see what others are doing with their build or machine.

Happy building.
Old Sun 05 April 2009, 23:06
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Hi Tom, looks like you have gotten all the drawings downloaded now?
Old Mon 06 April 2009, 03:23
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Gerald,

Thanks. But no, I still can not pull part1 and part3 files, I've just about recked my computer by changing settings/configurations, finally got it somewhat back to normal. Maybe it would be better for someone to email it to me. My brother-in-law is always sending me file 5-10mb and they seem fine. These files are just over 2mb. Whats your take?
Old Mon 06 April 2009, 03:25
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Oops! By-the-way, thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'm looking forward to this build.
Old Mon 06 April 2009, 06:52
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Hey Tom,

I'll be glad to try to help. Send me an E-Mail with your E-Mail address and I'll send you two different E-Mails, one with Part 1 and one with Part 3.

How does that sound?

Regards,
John
Old Mon 06 April 2009, 20:17
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Sounds Great! Thanks, I'm really itching to get a good hard look at this.
Old Fri 01 June 2012, 17:08
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
MM Number Assignment

At what point is there a number assigned to your machine? When you start or when you finish? And from who or where do you get said number?
Old Fri 01 June 2012, 18:11
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Tom,
A living serial number document is kept here by a forum member and authorized by Mike and/or Gerald. Your machine gets a serial number at the end when it:
- is painted
- has logo's on all the required parts of the machine
- cuts and makes dust (or water jet, or plasma, draws with a sharpie)
Old Fri 01 June 2012, 19:08
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Thanks Sean, I guess I'll have to wait, lol. I just finally got started after 3 years.
Old Thu 10 January 2013, 03:34
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Sorta Newby - Again

I'm sorta reintroducing myself because several years ago I was kicking around the idea of making a machine for myself. Well about a month ago I finally pulled the trigger and ordered some steel.

I haven't decided on 5 x 10 or 5 x 12 (go big or go home), OM pk299-f4.5a w/4:1 belt reduction. Software is up in the air. The frame of the MM seams small for the larger tables so I may 'beef it up', I dunno. Dust collection yes, and vaccuum in the future.

I have several welders (mig, stick, tig and a plasma cutter), 7x12 bandsaw, etc. I not too bad at that stuff, but I am a woodworker so metal is not my forte. I'm a fairly quick learner and my 14 year old son who wants to become an engineer will be assisting me. We home school our children and what better thing to teach, you've go electronics, computer related stuff, robotics, metalwork, system design and many other benefits. I'm sure he'll be teaching me a thing or two.

I look forward to this build and thank all in advance for your assistance. I'll be doing this in spare time (work two jobs) and resources so it may take a bit of time. But I think I may be ready for the laser parts in the next month or so anyway.

Thanks All,
Tom
Old Thu 10 January 2013, 05:59
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Looking forward to watching your build progress, Tom.
Good Luck!!
Old Thu 10 January 2013, 08:16
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Good to see you are still around Tom!
Best of Luck!
Old Thu 10 January 2013, 15:22
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome back !!! Glad to see folks diving in on some new builds !!!
Old Thu 10 January 2013, 17:34
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Just dragged the steel in 15 minutes ago, the 14' x 8 x 2.25 can be quite heavy to move by yourself. Shew!
Old Sat 23 March 2013, 19:47
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Official MM Color

I know this is a stupid question, but what is the official MechMate color????
Old Sat 23 March 2013, 21:52
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Ford Blue if I recall. There was a paint code floating around years ago but dont remember it at the moment. A lot of people in the states seem to use rustoleum Sail Blue. Here in Canada it is Tremclad Light Blue.
Old Sat 23 March 2013, 23:16
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Thanks Heath, I'm really not a Ford man, could I use Chevy Orange, Ha Ha. I wonder the average number of cans of rustoleum are used...I think I'd be better off getting automotive paint and primer.
Old Sun 24 March 2013, 04:33
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Tom,

I sprayed my machine with rattler can rustoleum blue from HD. I don't remember how many cans I used besides the one that blew up in my truck. Gerald would like to see them in blue but he hasn't disallowed any other color so pick a color you love or can live with.
Old Sun 24 March 2013, 05:12
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Official MechMate logo and colour
Old Sun 24 March 2013, 06:26
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Thanks for the link Gerald. I'll call it MM Blue, I really like someone's machine(s) with the white and the black rails, any objections?

Nils, I guess it must have been summer time...that's your excuse to cover up the bank-job, right, huh?
Old Sun 24 March 2013, 07:42
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Mike Metalhead owns all the rights now - I don't think he is too fussy about the particular colour.
Old Sun 24 March 2013, 07:57
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Tom,
You can buy the rustoleum in a gallon format as well. You can thin it and spray it with a gun if you want. Or brush or roller as well.
Old Sun 24 March 2013, 09:02
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Isn't the rustoleum a paint and primer in one? I'd have to spray it, after many years of cabinet work I don't have the patience to apply paint and watch it dry. As a matter of fact, I've got an english wheel I made a year ago that has yet to be painted. Maybe I'll paint it MM Blue as well.
Old Sun 24 March 2013, 12:35
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Tom,
You can use rustoleum on bare metal or over a primer. A primer is always a good idea in my book.
Grab an adult beverage when watching paint dry. Makes the time go better!
Old Sun 24 March 2013, 15:07
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I received an email from Eastwood, they just happen to have some of their Hot Rod paint kits on sale, they have a real nice GM Muisanne Blue (GM code 26, 70-72 Chevelle) which is as close as to MM Blue as I could get, on sale that is.
Old Mon 25 March 2013, 20:01
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Smile Its About Time!

Well Fellas (and Kim ), I final started my build. It is official, I've welded some steel in the past few days, just received my laser cut and bent parts from Metalhead Mike (thanks by-the-way). I will try to post a few pics periodically. Just can't seem to get enough time to really dig in and get some real progress going (those pesky customers always wanting something). Well, this is where it begins. I look forward to picking your brains for advise and thanks in advance guys!
Old Mon 25 March 2013, 20:41
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Congrats Tom! Good Luck.
Old Mon 25 March 2013, 20:42
BooY
Just call me: Dave

QLD
Australia
Good job Tom

you do know you can keep posting in u're other thread without the need to create a new thread for each section, it'll be moved by the mods

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read