MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 14 September 2014, 03:31
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Congrats Fox, Well Done! By-the-way you can run your spindle for a few minutes safely for a test cut, mach has the 'roadrunner' test file you can run under a minute.
Old Sun 14 September 2014, 05:30
Fox
Just call me: Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
Yeah I know, ( not using mach btw, but edibg has similair files ) but my instincts tell me its not bad to have to wait untill the spindle to double check everything. Already found some loose bolts here and there, adjusted gearboxes, greased my rack and pinion etc. So you all have to be patient with me some more
Old Sun 14 September 2014, 12:05
rischoof
Just call me: Rik #92

Goirle
Netherlands
Gefeliciteerd

Congratulations with your good looking machine. Is ashame that you have to disamble the whole machine for the paint job.
Old Sun 14 September 2014, 15:28
Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
I'll survive, I planned it this way.
When you build a custom motorbike or car it's common practice.
Old Mon 15 September 2014, 06:51
Tokamak
Just call me: John #121

Monrovia (ca)
United States of America
Congratulations Fox. Those last few details can be the toughest. Now you can enter phase 2 and figure out how to run the software. Happy cutting!
Old Mon 15 September 2014, 08:00
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Well Done!!
Old Mon 15 September 2014, 11:37
Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
Quote:
Now you can enter phase 2 and figure out how to run the software.
Yeah, mostly got that figured out, I have years in CAD under my belt, I just need to figure out some quirks in the Eding software here and there which have me puzzled, but finding correct cutting parameters and hardware for the range of materials will be a challenge for sure. But looking forward to that.

Yeah, it's never finished I know...
Still have to built Dust and Vacuum table ( have motors already in stock ) after it's cutting those will be some of the first parts of the machine ( after a bed for my little son, that will be the first ''real' part after al test have been finished.

Thnx Darren !

Last edited by Fox; Mon 15 September 2014 at 11:41..
Old Mon 15 September 2014, 12:58
isladelobos
Just call me: Ros

Canary Islands
Spain
Send a message via MSN to isladelobos Send a message via Yahoo to isladelobos
Congratulations, looks strong.

The motors are hot on 71Volts?
Old Tue 16 September 2014, 02:37
Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
No... motors are 45 degrees ( on the outside, I have no means of temping the inside) after running 3d files for one hour. Plesse note air running - not cutting yet, so teh motors are not really pushed to their limit yet.
I listened to Geralds advice and exprience, because I want max performance out of my machine. There are many running lower voltages. There have been heated () debates on this mattter, search the forum.

Last edited by Fox; Tue 16 September 2014 at 02:40..
Old Tue 16 September 2014, 02:42
Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
I need advice, what would you guys advise on setting my velocity and acceleration to considering my large table and my electronic specs (see thread)
Old Tue 16 September 2014, 02:54
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
My acceleration is set around 25 but the speed is set above 600 (can't remember exacts). I found the machine will beat itself to dead on direction changes if acceleration is much higher.
Old Tue 16 September 2014, 04:34
Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
25 inches and 600 inches.. I assume ?? then I was already jogging above that .
I am in metric = velocity in mm/s, and acceleration in mm/s^2.

Last edited by Fox; Tue 16 September 2014 at 04:42..
Old Tue 16 September 2014, 06:47
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Go as fast as you can go

Start with 25 / 600 ipm ( 10 / 250 mm/s, right? ). Increase your speed until the motors stall during accel or decel. Tweak your accel down / up until the stall goes away, or drop the speed by 5% and tweak again if necessary.

Then, drop your speed by 15 - 20%, and test violently changing direction in x,y and diagonal and ensure no lost steps. There's your max speed. If you have lost steps, you may need to drop the accel a bit.

Let us know what you end up with. Always useful to have another data point.
Old Tue 16 September 2014, 07:20
Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
Ok, I'll start playing.
Old Tue 16 September 2014, 08:13
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
There you go. That's good advise, when initially set up I just stopped adjusting thinking it was good enough for now, I too might go ahead and increase the speed.
Old Wed 17 September 2014, 01:11
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Its good to write a short G-code commanding the axis to to go to-and-fro for the tuning
for Z-axis
G1 z0 F(desire speed in mm/min)
G1 z200
G1 Z0
G1 z200
G1 Z0
Old Wed 17 September 2014, 06:05
Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
Ah i was thinking, there must be a test program to do this. I found emc has it ( a program to find max velocity and accelaration).

Is this gcode you write (i am not familiar with programming g codes manually) something it could copy paste in notepad++ and save as, and run ?
Old Wed 17 September 2014, 06:15
racedirector
Just call me: Bruce #122

New South Wales
Australia
Fox, pity you're not using Mach, there is an add-in called the Break In Wizard, it generates gcode to exercise the machine multiple times....
Old Wed 17 September 2014, 07:23
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Fox, I don't write my own G-code per say, got aspire to do the hard labour. I reckon its always good to know the G-code well enough (or cheat buy having a g-code pocketbook) for occasional troubleshooting.
yes, you can use a wordpad or notepad to write one & save it with .tap extension for Mach3 & .ngc for Linuxcnc.
Old Wed 17 September 2014, 07:58
Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
Quote:
Fox, pity you're not using Mach, there is an add-in called the Break In Wizard, it generates gcode to exercise the machine multiple times....
This one ? That would have been nice. Courtesy of a huge user base, Eding does not have that yet. But I will see if I can convert that for use with Eding CNC. I am glad to get rid of the parallel port and be running Ethernet though.

@ Ken, yeah I know, let I was more asking if:

G1 z0 F500
G1 z200
G1 Z0
G1 z200
G1 Z0

G1 x0 F500
G1 x200
G1 x0
G1 x200
G1 x0

G1 y0 F500
G1 y200
G1 y0
G1 y200
G1 y0

is a valid G code file when saved, or do I need to add headers , closing brackets etc ? I am familiar with coding html, java and css not G code..
Old Wed 17 September 2014, 08:16
racedirector
Just call me: Bruce #122

New South Wales
Australia
Yup, thats the one. Works pretty well, I used it on my previous machine.
Old Wed 17 September 2014, 14:10
Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
I think I need a good test file. My values seem way too high according to advises ?

I had my machine set at X and Y @ 500mm/s vel and 250 mm/s^2 accel.
The Z is @ 195.3mm/s ( it made that number from 200 as input ?) vel and 150 mm/s^2 accel.

It jogs fine at these speeds, and it 'cuts' (writes) fine as well with some dummy programs.
Old Wed 17 September 2014, 16:32
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
Are you sure those numbers aren't in mm's/min?

250mm/sec/sec accel is about 1.5 G's, and is about 6-8 times quicker than the quickest home built machines.
Old Wed 17 September 2014, 17:50
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_gravity says 1G is 980 cm/sec^2. So 250mm/sec^2 would be roughly .025 g, but I could be off. (Changing units always got me in physics.)
Old Wed 17 September 2014, 20:30
ger21
Just call me: Ger

Detroit, MI
United States of America
My mistake. I was looking at his feedrate in mm/second, and multiplied the accel by 60 by mistake.

Let's try this again. I think that 500mm/sec is 30m/min, which is very fast. But an accel of 250mm/s/s is much too slow for 30m/min.
Old Wed 17 September 2014, 23:20
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
[URL="http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,13915.0.html"]

@ Ken, yeah I know, let I was more asking if:

G1 z0 F500
G1 z200
G1 Z0
G1 z200
G1 Z0

G1 x0 F500
G1 x200
G1 x0
G1 x200
G1 x0

G1 y0 F500
G1 y200
G1 y0
G1 y200
G1 y0

is a valid G code file when saved, or do I need to add headers , closing brackets etc ? I am familiar with coding html, java and css not G code..
You are definitely on the right track.
I don't quite get what you meant completely. its an ASCII file if I remember correctly. damn, its been so long ago when I last did this.,
I suggest you open a simple G-code for Mach3 & look for your answer.

Also,
1)its better to split the above mentioned G-codes into 3 separate files; one for X axis, one for y-axis & one for Z-axis. Its always advisable to tune one axis at a time, will save your sanity.
2) Should add plenty reciprocating strokes, the above codes only entails 2 strokes. IMHO, 20 strokes is barely enough.
3)Also, have a lot more strokes length in each test file, since you are building a 1.2mx2.4m table, you should have the X & Y strokes a lot longer, at least 1m & 2m strokes respectively.
4) have one hand on the E-stop when you start the G-code.

Its a great time for you to have an hands-on feel of what the speed & acceleration numbers entails. While you are at it, keep an eye on the raping time too (0 to full velocity) IMHO, 0.1sec should be fine, but don't cast this number on stone....
Old Wed 17 September 2014, 23:40
Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
Thanks to all, will built me some proper test file, and slow things down before I try to built speed again..
Old Fri 03 October 2014, 10:36
Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
Update:
Got my new coolant pump Sicce Syncra 3.0. It does the job perfectly. Shame it took over a week to get here, cause the place where I ordered it f*cked up big time on their side.

Then time ran out ... and I had to move my entire life (planned move to another nicer but old house) in 1 week.
Meaning absolutely no MM time (12 hour days painting, fixing etc.). Got the move that done (sortof, still surrounded by my life in boxes).

FFWD, to tonight. Pump mounted, tested everything, need some last (wiring) fixes and then..hopefully first cut this weekend.

Last edited by Fox; Fri 03 October 2014 at 10:39..
Old Sun 05 October 2014, 14:32
Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands

Fixed my pump situ, considered waiting untill my Dust management was working for 1 second..nahhhh.

Just a piece of grabage mdf ( some holes we're already in it as you can see ), and my 6 mm two flute hss endmill could not pocket the entire letters (see H) cause they we're to small, but who cares.. IT CUTS.
Happy with the quality of the cut, have no idea if my feeds and speeds were any good.

Surface of the mdf (the top of the pockets) needed a light sand to get rid of fibers, but the inside edges of the pockets are like this straight of the machine. Each letter is approx 25 mm high and a little over 6 mm wide.

Before I do any more cutting my priority is now with cutting a working dustfoot

Last edited by Fox; Sun 05 October 2014 at 14:47..
Old Sun 05 October 2014, 22:26
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Well done!
Prioritize a working dust foot is very wise.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read