MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 31 March 2009, 04:30
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Events following: Who can make me some Gerber files for a tiny pc board?

Hi All

As you know, I work in AutoCad, and the electronics world is rather foreign to me. I would like to have some tiny pc boards made here in Cape Town by http://www.printedcircuitboards.co.za/, but they don't accept AutoCad dxf's - they want "gerber" files.

My dxf is as follows:
PC board2.zip
(millimeters, drawing frame removed and notes added)

Basically I need a way to attach 2 shielded cables to this component. It all gets "potted" in a plastic box afterwards.

Can anyone help me with Gerbers please?

Thanks

Gerald
Old Tue 31 March 2009, 06:48
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Hi Gerald,

I've never produced a Gerber File for a real product, but I have played around with Eagle which is a "free" circuit design software which produces Gerber Files.

If no one else volunteers, I'll give it a shot.

Let me know if you would like me to try to produce the Gerber files.

Regards,
John

Last edited by jhiggins7; Tue 31 March 2009 at 06:51..
Old Tue 31 March 2009, 09:09
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Gerald,
Is this intended to be a two sided pcb with the other side a ground plane? (all copper, except for the holes) Your shield connection from the cable only shows it going to a plated hole? Should this shield not get connected somewhere?
Old Tue 31 March 2009, 11:48
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Single sided only. The shields are for mechanical strength only - those big holes are only to "anchor" the cables.
Old Tue 31 March 2009, 18:19
MattyZee
Just call me: Matt

Adelaide
Australia
Hi Gerald, John,

If you have any trouble John, let me know and i can give it a shot. I've used Eagle to create a few personal PCBs and got them made by www.batchpcb.com.

Let me know if you need any help.

Cheers
Old Tue 31 March 2009, 19:59
PEU
Just call me: Pablo

Buenos Aires
Argentina
How many of these boards do you need? If you need a few I can try to make them with my cnc mill and an engraving bit.
Old Wed 01 April 2009, 05:16
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Thanks for all the offers everyone. Have got someone in Australia who is going to do it for me.
Old Thu 02 April 2009, 02:39
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Some feedback:

The Aussie files were good and have the production quote. Setup $28, production 30 boards on one panel (scored for snapping) $54.
Old Thu 02 April 2009, 06:49
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
About $3 per board for a small production run...GREAT!
Old Thu 09 April 2009, 10:53
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Received the product today and started chatting about CNC routers. The PC board production company has been investigating the upgrade of their CNC routers because they have problems getting spares and support. They are tempted to go a typical PC - BOB - Gecko route but are unsure what to do about importing Gerber files. Mach3 will not do it.

Bear in mind that their business is built on clients supplying Gerbers......whatever they use instead of Mach3 has to be totally Gerber friendly and well supported.

Is there an industry standard setup for DIY printed circuit board routers? Is it DeskCNC?
Old Sat 11 April 2009, 00:01
Jan de Ruyter
Just call me: Jan

Pretoria
South Africa
Hi Gerald,
We have a guy here in PTA that does the job as well, using pdf files, same day service.

www.cboards.co.za (no endorsement)

It appears your Aussie guy is cheaper, but more hassle. They have some links as well, ExpressPCB seems the easiest software to use.

Jan

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read