MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 02 August 2009, 04:48
Lex
Just call me: Johan #56

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Thanks Doug, I will do.

I did the rail height cutting yesterday and it went well. I really enjoyed myself!

RailSny1.jpg

RailSny2.jpg

RailSny3.jpg

I stop the grinder at the point when I start to feel the cutting disk want to bit as the off cut piece close down on the disk. I bend it open with the water pump plier as shown. It took only a fraction of a millimeter to release it.

I had an unforeseen problem with the grinding jig when I tried it out.
I ran out of grinding disks and had to go and buy a cheap one at the local hardware. To much vibration!
Second problem was the cantilever caused by the mass of the grinder when I tried to adjust. As soon the clamping bolts were released the top plate started to angle up making it difficult to get a fine adjustment.
I will have to add a piece of flat on both the upper and lower plates to form a slide as indicated below. Fitting a third bolt bolt as noted on the pic.

JRmod1.jpg
Old Sun 02 August 2009, 08:17
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Johan, I reckon you will have much better adjustment with the rubbing bolts than with the fixed rollers.
Old Sun 02 August 2009, 23:57
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
I agree but I started to help JR with the new idea and want to give it another try. The problem was right in front of me when I draw it up...and missed it.
Old Sun 06 September 2009, 10:14
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Update

TableRails1.jpg

The rails is cut and drilled. I still need to line up everything properly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZplateJig2.jpg (29.1 KB, 1012 views)
File Type: jpg ZplateJig3.jpg (29.7 KB, 1011 views)
File Type: jpg omslag1.jpg (37.7 KB, 1012 views)
File Type: jpg TheDog1.jpg (17.6 KB, 1012 views)
Old Sun 06 September 2009, 10:25
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Previous photos shows the jig that I have made for the z-plate on a old Millers Falls saw table.
Who can still remember the Millers Falls combination?
My dad used to have one and gave it to me with the large piece of I-beam where I mounted it on. Brother sold it years ago for extra cash.
A friend gave me this set in the photo a month ago and after 35 years it is standing on the I-beam again.

MillerFalls1.jpg
Old Millers Falls

I am very sentimental about old tools. In the previous post is a photo showing my grandfather's hand drill with my father's below that and my Stanley below his.
Old Sun 06 September 2009, 10:53
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Johan,

I spotted your old tools on the wall before I read your second post. I love old tools too. Thanks for the picture of your dog!! When I move, I'm getting one just like him. My whole family has been admiring him. I guess it is rare to see a Jack Russell relaxing.

Last edited by Doug_Ford; Sun 06 September 2009 at 10:56..
Old Sun 06 September 2009, 12:21
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
You are getting there Johan...well done.

Doug, I think that Jack Russel is FULL of nice titbits and is taking an afternoon nap in the heat that is common in that area where Johan lives
Old Sun 06 September 2009, 15:02
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Yeah. I think you're right. I noticed that Johan has been feeding him pretty good.
Old Sun 06 September 2009, 23:25
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Yes, the dog is spoilt. He was not sleeping, just waiting for the next belly rub! The only way to keep him still to take a photo.
It is the best time of the year, weather wise. Still low humidity but starting to get nice and warm from sun up.
Old Mon 21 September 2009, 23:52
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Ask Johan what happened to him with some of those taxi`s
Old Mon 21 September 2009, 23:52
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Gerald they still charge per sq meter price on the 3.6 boards wel that is in my town and that is sometimes when there is a supply problem with the std 2750x1830 boards.I must say that it is not verry easy to work with that size it is heavy and space is always an issue.Dave cut your rails down yourself it will be R800 that goes towards some good electrical cable.Ask Johan what happened to him with some of those taxi`s
Old Tue 22 September 2009, 00:18
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
I hit Taxi head o on Friday. The car is a right off but it look like I will make it. Ankle and chest are a bit damage but it doesn't hurt when I swallow my beer.
Old Tue 22 September 2009, 01:06
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Sorry to hear about your accident, hopefully it wont affect your build completion, very releived to hear your beer drinking is not affected, that would be most traumatic...
Old Tue 22 September 2009, 03:20
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Thanks Alan. I hope to have everything back on track in a week or two. Transport will be affected, for sure. Pills goes down a lot easier with a Windhoek lager!
Old Tue 22 September 2009, 07:03
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Lex,
Hope you are feeling well again soon. Take it easy with a few beer.
Old Tue 22 September 2009, 08:29
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Will do Heath. I am booked off for this week but I will have to get my son to take me to work next week. They fitted me with one of those 'space boots'. It looks like it was used on Apollo 11.
Old Tue 22 September 2009, 09:50
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Johan, I hope that you caused some decent damage to that taxi!

Get well soon, and hope the insurance company is kind to you.
Old Tue 22 September 2009, 14:19
kooskoek
Just call me: Dave

Centurion
South Africa
Get well soon, I will swear at one tommorrow if it will make u feel better, s#$# it's gonna make me feel better.
Old Thu 24 September 2009, 06:02
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Hi lex,
I was looking back at your build progress and your method to grind the Z-slide puzzles me ?
May I ask how you manage to get the skate & grinder to hold it the horizontal position shown in the picture on your post #154 ?
I’m in the preparation stage (trying to be a step ahead) of getting to my next step in my build, the steel fabricating part, as my electrical should be over by end of this week end, at leat I hope.
This Z-slide making is getting me a little worried as I’m debating should I do it or getting it done in a machine shop???...$$$...???.
Machine shop will obviously cost me more, but again, maybe it will come out with better tolerances and another positive side I’m liking, is it buy me some time….. I may be missing some time to finish my build at the rate it is going for me since I started….I’m slower than anticipated !
Will see…., but in the mean time, I’m trying to look at other alternatives to make my own Z-slide and yours….well…it’s must be me, but to me it’s mind-bending ??!!
Again, wishing you prompt recovery……
Old Thu 24 September 2009, 06:04
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Lex…..???? what the....why Lex
Sorry Johan, only at my 1st morning coffe….
Old Thu 24 September 2009, 09:54
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Hallo Robert

ZplateJig4.jpg

The photo shows how I have bolted the skate onto the side of the little saw table. I hope it makes it clear to you. The grinding method works very well. My fingers got a bit tired from pushing it against the fence all the time. Grinding sparks hit my forearm but that problem was solved when I put my long sleeve overall jacket on. Also the glazing of the grinding wheel made me change it more often. I use 3 wheels to keep it taking off sufficient metal.
I hope this will help you.
You can call me Lex if you like. No problem. My company's name is 'LEX Projects'. We were 3 partners and to keep one of our big clients happy we called it Lex- short for Alex who was the main contact at that time.
Old Thu 24 September 2009, 12:30
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Bonjour Jojan,
Yep, it’s all clear now…comprendé amigo…
Thanks a lot for this additional time you took!
All the best to you
Old Thu 24 September 2009, 13:03
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Johan,
Looks like I may have been the instigator in the Lex naming. My apologies. I should look closer when I reply. I find login names / real names confusing some times.
Old Mon 28 December 2009, 15:06
tufanca
Just call me: tufanca

izmir
Turkey
javeria sen türk?
Old Tue 29 December 2009, 09:37
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
tufanca,

I am Indian
Old Tue 29 December 2009, 11:09
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Johan, jy beter begin bou ou maat...die manne neem jou plekkie oor met hulle vreemde tale.....netnou kla jy weer dis te warm om te bou...kom nou ou maat maak hom klaar.
Old Sun 17 January 2010, 00:57
Lex

Empangeni KwaZuluNatal
South Africa
Smile Update

MMgantry1.jpg

This is my MM at this stage.

My to do list::
1. Small fixing brackets for the cable chain.
2. Tweaking of bolts and nuts to ensure smooth working of motor mountings.
3. Mechanical stops and squaring.
4. Z-axis alignment and final assembly.
5. Router mounting.
6. Rack and pinions.
6. Control box mounting and wiring.

Getting there slooowly!
Old Sun 17 January 2010, 01:54
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Welcome back Lex!
Old Sun 17 January 2010, 06:39
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Min dae Johan ,min dae nog so week se werk dan kan jy maar begin sny!
Old Sun 17 January 2010, 06:39
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
I am glad to see you are still alive....quickly finish it off before the February heat..

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read