MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Computing, Software & Programming > Graphics & CAD
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sat 02 February 2013, 18:47
Lord Maximus
Just call me: Alex

Tucson (AZ)
United States of America
Cutting from a photo or drawing?

Is there any software that can be used with these things that can use a scanned photograph? Drawing some of the wood patterns is out of the question and I figure it would be easier (and cheaper for clients) to use a photo to run off the piece. Rockler Woodworking has something but it only works on their machines which are set too small/ They cannot run off a 4ft X 12ft door.
Old Sat 02 February 2013, 19:08
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Can you post some pictures of these doors?
Old Sat 02 February 2013, 19:41
Lord Maximus

Tucson (AZ)
United States of America
These aren't the best quality but I have people who want this type of work. I am also building my own house and want this for some of the rooms. A few examples
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...bnu_tOUcFX99fC
Old Sat 02 February 2013, 19:43
Lord Maximus

Tucson (AZ)
United States of America
Old Sat 02 February 2013, 20:31
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Have a look at Alibre 123d Capture (Free) and 123d CNC Utility(Free). I tried this with my Iphone with their app. I have to say I was suprised at what they where able to do. I took only 10 photos but the areas that had good overlapping came out the best. I did not go any further with the software as I got side tracked with Probing and I am looking to digitize 2d models and not 3d for now.

http://www.123dapp.com/
Old Sun 03 February 2013, 13:42
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
This kind of detail could only be made by modeling this in Aspire or other CAD/CAM or 3D scanning of models.

Maybe it could be done as a rough model and then carved by hand to details, which is not too bad as it always sells better when its a "real" carve with undercuts
Old Mon 04 February 2013, 13:46
Lord Maximus

Tucson (AZ)
United States of America
Scanning from a model or existing work would be ideal, but not always possible because much of this type of work exists primarily in Europe ( I would love to scan the work in Versailles but their staff might frown on that). I think this would work also with dry plaster on wood, then hand-carve that. Anyone know of a scanner that would work for extant piecesor would I get away with the computer modeling?
Old Mon 04 February 2013, 23:28
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
If you are able to come up with the ideal/pattern the look at vector3d.com. They have a ton of flourish. I thought you had to make an exact copy.
Old Tue 05 February 2013, 13:11
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
As said, its cheaper and it has more quality to buy professional work from people who do this for living, on this site there are few free samples and tons of really good work,
here it is http://www.for3d.ru/specials.php
Old Tue 05 February 2013, 19:01
Lord Maximus

Tucson (AZ)
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by danilom View Post
As said, its cheaper and it has more quality to buy professional work from people who do this for living, on this site there are few free samples and tons of really good work,
here it is http://www.for3d.ru/specials.php
That is the best site I have seen for what I'm looking for. Thanks and very much appreciated. This will save 85% of drawing time right here.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read