MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Construction started, but not cutting yet
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 07 August 2011, 13:22
JasonC
Just call me: Jason

Soldotna,AK
United States of America
Motors are turning - Soldotna, AK

After a year of research on purchasing a pre fab cnc router the pocket book seems to always be just a LLLIITTLLEEE short so here I am.

Have some questions and need some direction.

1 getting the plans, I tried through CV and palpay wouldnt work.?. and the forum download says something about "recurring subscription" will i be getting auto billed for a 100$ over and over????

2 are there any retro fit kits for all the motors, drivers, power sup, etc. I want something pretested to work together. My brain will blowup if i have to figure out the electric side of things.

3 what sizes are available in the plans im looking at 48x96 or 60x120. and if there are "cnc retro kits" what size of motors should I use. I think i can only afford a router right now but want to upgrade to a ripen spindle.

I getting a little lost in the forum with so much different info that i dont really know what direction to go.

Thank you
Jason
Old Sun 07 August 2011, 13:25
JasonC

Soldotna,AK
United States of America
Oh i forgot want to do a 4th axis indexer also.

Thanks
Jason
Old Sun 07 August 2011, 22:32
JasonC

Soldotna,AK
United States of America
Plans are on the way!

Jason
Old Mon 08 August 2011, 05:33
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome to the forum. You should now have the plans in your in box.
Old Mon 08 August 2011, 20:59
JasonC

Soldotna,AK
United States of America
No plans yet

Jason
Old Mon 08 August 2011, 21:28
JasonC

Soldotna,AK
United States of America
Has anyone heard of these companys, CNCRouterParts and Motiontek or Candcnc and what would be a go choice from the 3 for a 5'x10' router table, with a 4th axis.

Thank You

Jason

Last edited by JasonC; Mon 08 August 2011 at 21:44..
Old Tue 09 August 2011, 00:21
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
From the reading of various forums etc. Ahren from CNCrouterparts is an great person and has good parts, you can find 4-axis nema34 kit there.
But check with Metalhead (Mike) first he also has a complete kit, maybe at a better price.
For 4th axis you will need 5th motor and drive and a bit larger psu.
Old Tue 09 August 2011, 05:54
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
You should have your plans. I sent them to you yesterday morning. I can provide a lot of the pieces you need for your machine. Some parts like the steel you will need to source local. But the Electrics for the control box, wires, laser cut parts , motors, power supplies and stuff like that I can supply for you. Let me know if those plans are not in your in box.
Old Tue 09 August 2011, 08:37
JasonC

Soldotna,AK
United States of America
Wahoo! I got mail!

Jason
Old Tue 09 August 2011, 08:40
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Let me know if you got all the files. I may need to send you the rest. You should have 5 pdf and a zip file
Old Tue 09 August 2011, 20:09
JasonC

Soldotna,AK
United States of America
I have number 1 and 2. My email filter is off. looks like 10 10 200 and up. My email has a 10 mega limit.

Jason
Old Tue 09 August 2011, 20:29
JasonC

Soldotna,AK
United States of America
I cleared it I can take 10 more Megs

Jason
Old Wed 10 August 2011, 08:42
JasonC

Soldotna,AK
United States of America
Got all the plans thanks for you patience.

Jason Cooke

Last edited by JasonC; Wed 10 August 2011 at 09:01..
Old Wed 10 August 2011, 12:28
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Now get busy !!! Just kidding - looking forward to your build. Let me know if you need anything.
Old Wed 10 August 2011, 20:42
JasonC

Soldotna,AK
United States of America
Haha IM ON IT!

Someone mentioned you have cnc plug and play kits (on the electronics side)? like motiontek..?...ya?no?

Jason
Old Thu 11 August 2011, 04:30
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Well not really plug and play. You have to figure out how things work. That is part of the learning with this machine. You want to be able to service it. What I do provide is a place for you to source a lot of the things that are sometimes purchased incorrectly or you have to by boxes when you only need pieces. I also do not charge a cut fee for wire purchases which can be as high as $25.00. So take a look here to get an idea on some of the things I have. I also have power supplies and motors.

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...=Electric+Kits
Old Thu 11 August 2011, 08:32
JasonC

Soldotna,AK
United States of America
I already have a cnc milling machine so I have a general idea of the process. I was wanting to jump passed the R/D phase of the electronic side and get cutting.

Jason
Old Sun 14 August 2011, 17:45
JasonC

Soldotna,AK
United States of America
I have a thought.

Why not have someone do a basic video on the machine build(metal part). It will eliminate the huge amount of forum and keep confusion down.

Jason
Old Sun 14 August 2011, 17:57
danilom

Novi Sad
Serbia
When I was building there were no confusions, there are plans and couple of forum subtopics which describe and have an answer to almost any question regarding specific parts of the metal construction. You got everything in plans, all dimensions and positions of elements. And so many pictures to look to her on forum.
If you plan to build something non standard then some questions may arise.
I saw some of the videos that the people who make plans for stuff made. You still have to make everything by the book. Mechmate plans are even flexible and allow to build any size you want.
And any video can't beat the interactive community here at forum!
Old Sun 14 August 2011, 18:15
JasonC

Soldotna,AK
United States of America
I was just thinking it would compliment the process. Im in the research/post plan purchase phase. I have troubles with forums.....way too many different ideas that arent necessarily interchangable.

Jason
Old Wed 17 August 2011, 23:33
JasonC

Soldotna,AK
United States of America
I have been looking over these plans for several days now....hmmm. Now Im a draftsmen,CAD trained, and a machinist, Im guessing there is a certian amount of self engineering needed here. Is there a list of a order of construction? The Y car is a bit of a mystery to me I see the drawing but?????. I guess ill start with the table first and take it section by section.?????.

Jas
Old Thu 18 August 2011, 01:04
danilom

Novi Sad
Serbia
It's easier to put bits and pieces together when you have lasercut parts in front of you. those are a kickstarter for every build. They are a main building block.
Also the Y car is all lasercut so no mystery there, for assembly you can find nice pictures with tab welding order here:
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303

So jump in and contact Mike for lasercut parts!
Old Thu 18 August 2011, 05:33
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Where the plans have the specs and info for various details, this forum is the manual to learn what is needed as well as for your build. That is why we want people to post in their build threads what they are doing. This way we can see innovations as well as issues as the builds progress. Sort of like having a global inspection team watching over your shoulder.
Old Thu 18 August 2011, 08:42
JasonC

Soldotna,AK
United States of America
it says provide .dxf drawing to a laser cutting company, the closest possible to me is 250 mile away if there is one. where do you obtain these .dxf from?

Mike i feel another order will be needed.?. the laser cut pieces.

Jas
Old Thu 18 August 2011, 10:18
timberlinemd
Just call me: Steve #66

Arizona
United States of America
Jason,
Unless you have someone you know or you can do it yourself, you will be hard pressed to find a company that will provide you with the 'laser cut/bent' parts for less than what Mike, AKA Metalhead, will do them for.

Last edited by timberlinemd; Thu 18 August 2011 at 10:18.. Reason: spelling
Old Thu 18 August 2011, 11:56
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
I PM'd the particulars. I have 13 sets ready to ship as well as other parts I detailed in my PM to consider poking into that box to get the best deal on freight. I also have electrics and wire also when you get to it.
Old Sun 21 August 2011, 11:09
JasonC

Soldotna,AK
United States of America
question...first off have plans,orders,drawing,lists EVERYWHERE but is there a drawing for a x rail with a V-cap?

Jason
Old Sun 21 August 2011, 11:13
JasonC

Soldotna,AK
United States of America
10 10 247? ugh found it, right in front of me..lol
Old Sun 21 August 2011, 11:15
JasonC

Soldotna,AK
United States of America
strange it never printed had to go back to the download.

Jas
Old Sun 21 August 2011, 11:36
JasonC

Soldotna,AK
United States of America
next, rail caps, source or is the Mcmaster Carr ok?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read