MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 02 April 2012, 00:45
baseball43v3r
Just call me: John #96

Glendora (California)
United States of America
Painting in V-Carved (engraved) grooves

Hey guys, wanted to pick your brains on painting inlay's in wood, with the base wood one color, and the inlay another. I tried spray painting, my inlay's and then going back over with a roller in another color over top, but the results came out terrible on a test piece, maybe i need a finer roller? What are your guy's experience with painting inlay's or sign's in general?
Old Mon 02 April 2012, 00:56
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Never have any luck with paint. neither Spray nor brushed..
I have success with stains. Best control can be achieve with rubbing stain instead of brushing & the result is astonishing, the wood grains just came through alive. BUT lots of work involve
Old Mon 02 April 2012, 01:17
baseball43v3r
Just call me: John #96

Glendora (California)
United States of America
for reference, i am talking about something like this, because I reread my post and my description didn't make much sense to me. http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr...s_christer.jpg

and Ken, I like stains, but I want to try and get into custom signs, and I know a lot of people have their color preferences, stains are awesome though!
Old Mon 02 April 2012, 02:01
Axel1966
Just call me: Axel

Paris
France
Well there's no secret with paint, especialy on wood.
It's all about surface preparation.
Unfortunately, I don't know the exact words and names en english.

If it's of any use :
To get best results start with a little sanding then eliminate dust from the surface.
Then seal the surface with a specific wood sealant (this is not a primer, just a translucent sealant that will prevent wood to absorb paint).
Some people does another sanding with some P2000 after sealing,
it's optional, depending of the quality needs (If you proceed another sanding, think about dust elimination).
You can now spray paint on carves, preferabily with a spray gun.
Most of the spray cans uses solvents and may cause problems or poor paint quality.
If you realy want to use spray cans, check they're acrylic paint and solvent free.
For the other surfaces, use a thin foam roller (for lacquer or varnish).
Paint without excess, do at last two layers and respect curing times.

You may consider also resins.
Very easy to use because of their self-tension ability.
The finish is great and durable and produce the "wow" effect.
Just beware of air bubbles and plan to work in a ventilated area.
A single layer is enough, most of the time. The thinest coat, the better.
You can find resins indifferently, opaque, translucent, matte, glossy...

Last edited by Axel1966; Mon 02 April 2012 at 02:05..
Old Mon 02 April 2012, 02:03
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Ahh... I thought you are talking about painting wood inlays...

The Guiness sign colouring is easy to do... just time consuming...

Following is the method I developed through experiment & common sense; I call it Modified Pen-Striping.
1) Before carving. prepare the base wood.
i) 2,3 coat of highly diluted lacquer (1part lacquer 8~10 part thinner) as base coat & sealer. Sand in between to remove loose fiber don't use anything coarser than 240sand paper. This should not take more than 20 minutes..
ii) leave the piece over night to cure.
2) Painting
i) Use with solvent base paint of your choice as many coats & to the final finishing you desired. I prefer 3~4 coats auto body paint.
ii) Leave overnight for paint curing the paint. **Very critical that the paint is fully cured & harden.
3) Commence carving
4) Filling Color
i) Apply water based paint over the carvings, with suitable size water color brush. bigger the better.
*Preferably the paint is as viscous as possible, i.e, thick paste. I prefer Acrylic paint in 200ml tube I get them from local art stores for less than 2US.
ii) If you think the paint isn't even enough, use a air gun to blow them off & rub off the excess on the base wood surface.
iii) while the water based paint is still fluid; (Like karate kid rub-on-rub-off) Rub-off excessive paint from the base wood surface with dry or damp rack which ever you find handy.
iv) Rub-off excess paint from the base wood surface with dry or damp rag.

5) If you wish, you can give it a clear coat over the whole job.
6) Deliver & collect cash.

Its easier with smaller letter. large letters require more attention at the edges of the carved letters.

One example
SAM_0142.JPG

Last edited by KenC; Mon 02 April 2012 at 02:21.. Reason: spell check
Old Mon 02 April 2012, 02:17
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Ken, your scheme of using laquer paint filled with water paint is an excellent idea. This is the first time I read of this method.
Old Mon 02 April 2012, 02:28
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Lazy people find their ways around
My eye-sight are no good for pen-striping, & my hands can stay still unless there are a stream of beer supply...
With traditional pen-stripping, I ALWAYS have to wipe off over-paint areas. & when I wipe solvent base paint off another solvent paint, it will strip everything off the wood... Since Oil & water don't mix... Everything just fall in place.
With this everyone can now fill colour blind-folded. SERIOUS.

Last edited by KenC; Mon 02 April 2012 at 02:35..
Old Mon 02 April 2012, 07:44
normand blais
Just call me: Normand

montreal
Canada
am lazy as well , I spray paint the letters and after is dry I roll the surface with the sign hanging upside down ,so it does not get inside the letters
Old Thu 05 April 2012, 03:20
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
In your Guiness example.

1. Carve entire sign.
2. Prep for paint.
3. Paint entire sign Black
4. Used a Syringe to apply a little paint in the bottom of the carving and use a stiff acid brush. Dip brush in bottom and use a upward motion until the brush looses contact with the side. I always end up with crisp lines and it goes by pretty quick.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read