MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Electrical & Electronic > 702. Power Supplies
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 15 April 2013, 20:35
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Unregulated Power Supply

Ok folks,

I want to get some feedback on my Unregulated Power Supply design.

It uses a DIN rail to mount the caps and serve as the heatsink for the regulator.

Learned a neat trick to turn a SNAP Cap into the teminal type. When mounted in the box these caps will be in the correct position for the vent.

I also have not cut the other leads off the Cap. I will either leave them for spares and add heat shrink, or cut them off after bleeding them down.

I figure once mounted, the DIN rails can support other stuff if needed. The stands are 2 inch DIN Rail standoffs.

Thanks to the folks who helped with the components of this design.

The goal was to get CAPS that were affordable. These were way less than the screw top caps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0879.jpg (38.3 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0880.jpg (37.5 KB, 416 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0881.jpg (39.1 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0882.jpg (46.5 KB, 413 views)
Old Mon 15 April 2013, 23:35
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Neat work!
Old Fri 19 April 2013, 09:18
Fox
Just call me: Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
Hey Mike,

Although I like the Din rail idea I would maybe not use it to mount other electronics on the same Dinrail ( electrical and heat conductive ). Although Din rail might be more standard then Gerarld solution, it also cost more I Imagine... is there any specific reason you went this path ?

Is the trick soldering/crimping on an eye connector with it's wiring end sleeved on the pin? Eye connector like such ( http://gonzo777.home.insightbb.com/d...connectors.jpg ) as I was thinking of that the other day myself ?

Did you also mount the CAPS with a standard DIN component to the rail ?

Would be neater if the transformer would also be mounted/hanging on the Dinrail, to make it one self contained unit ?

If I am not mistaken you are using screw-on connectors (the yellow thingies) to link wiring together. I myself would advise against screw on type connectors in your Mechmate wiring (and maybe even more so for the power supply wiring).

Ps. all this from an non expert.

Last edited by Fox; Fri 19 April 2013 at 09:25..
Old Fri 19 April 2013, 11:21
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Fox,
I am pretty certain that the wire nuts (yellow things) are temporary. Mike and the MM community are pretty aware that's a NO-NO. Proof of Concept mock up.
Old Fri 19 April 2013, 11:38
Fox
Just call me: Fox

Amsterdam
Netherlands
Hi Sean,

thought so, but also thought he would not need to wire it up for a proof of concept of his mounting; so was just trying to help prevent sparks/smoke.
Old Fri 19 April 2013, 12:49
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
I much prefer the looks of Kim's and Ed's power supplies in Homebuilt power supplies for GeckoDrives
Old Fri 19 April 2013, 15:01
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
The nuts are temps for testing. For sure not for the finished install.

I was wanting to get that small foot print as well, but the caps needed for these motors made the size to large to fit on top of the transformer. I will look into using 4 smaller 100v caps.

As far as the lugs here is what I did.

http://faultlineaudio.squarespace.co...capacitor.html

I used this approach, but used screws to mount for future service if needed.
Old Sat 20 April 2013, 00:09
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
My biggest concern is that the screws on your caps are much exposed on the outside of the power supply. Too easy to touch them when working on an adjacent device. I suppose I am just very wary of capacitor terminals.
Old Sun 04 August 2013, 01:57
Mrayhursh
Just call me: Hurshy

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Power Supply

Mike
Since I have the same power supply as you. Would you please post a picture of your setup? Thanks

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read