MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 02 May 2008, 00:38
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Cutting the rails was one of those jobs that I thought would be a pain. So much that I got a quote from the company that did my laser cutting. Luckily for me he came with a mad price (almost the same as all the Mamba parts) and I had to supply my own steel this time. This forced me to do it myself. And what a piece of cake. Firstly I thought of using my table saw with a cutting disk. Did a short piece of rail, but this was hectic and too dangerous to my liking. I eventually clamped the angle iron onto my table saw top and grinded piece by piece using the table saw as a nice straight reference surface. All in all it took no more than one hour to do one rail. Much easier moving a small grinder than a BIG LUMPY piece of steel.

IMG00209.jpg

IMG00211.jpg
Old Sun 11 May 2008, 23:56
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Update... This weekend I spend most of my time with building the walls higher in my workshop. It used to be a pigeon coup with a low roof. So I started by lifting the roof. Then I had to fill the gap, and if you are not a brick layer it is slow going. But we are getting there.

I did manage to cut the long rails down and this afternoon I will start to grind the rails this afternoon when I get back from work.

I have a small problem. My laser cut parts have a very smooth shiny surface. I did sand it a little, but I am afraid that the paint will not stick to it. It still does not want to rust. What is the best way to prepare it for painting?
Old Mon 12 May 2008, 10:56
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Is sandblasting an option for you? I bought a cheap sandblaster that is slow but works with my small air compressor.
Old Mon 12 May 2008, 22:41
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Hi Doug, I only have a small 24 litre compressor. Tried sandblasting, but no luck. I have about 6 bar pressure on the compressor, but it did not want to suck up the sand. Maybe something is wrong on the venturi of the gun that I used. What size pipe do you use on your gun. Mine has a fitting that is about 16mm. I suppose I cannot put a 16mm plastic pipe on it to suck up sand....too heavy... so what size pipe do you use.
Old Mon 12 May 2008, 22:45
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
This is the type of sandblasting gun I used, but I mine did not come with the pipe, so I am not sure what size to use.

Any suggestions?

sandblast gun.jpg
Old Mon 12 May 2008, 22:51
Kevin
Just call me: Kevin

Canton, NC (In the Smoky Mountains)
United States of America
Kobus

Here in the US we have stores that sell paint and supplys to the auto repair shops. They sell an acid etch/cleaning products, one type for aluminum and a type for steel. I always clean and etch my parts prior to painting. Not wanting to start an enviremental war pool acid will etch the metal as well.

Kevin
Old Mon 12 May 2008, 23:01
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thanks Kevin, We have etch primer available from these shops. I have not used it before, so don't know if it is the right stuff for me. I usually use MS-Primer...yellow in color... wonder how this will stick to this smooth black surface.
The pool acid we get is so watered down, I don't think it will do anything to my surface...but it is always good to try.
Old Tue 13 May 2008, 16:51
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Kobus,

The last time I sandblasted was several years ago and I got rid of the unit since then. The type I was using had a tank that you filled with sand and pressurized rather than the siphon type you are showing. It worked great and I was using a small compressor too. I think it is about 24 liters also. I wish I could give you more details. Maybe acid etching primer is the cheapest route.
Old Tue 13 May 2008, 23:10
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thanks Doug,

I changed the ceramic insert last night, and now it is working. I think the first one was faulty.
Old Sat 17 May 2008, 08:41
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Now is this a NICE colour ?

IMG00238.jpg

A friend of a friend that promised to make me the V-Tyres decided that he cannot make it anymore....Therefore no movement yet.
Old Sat 17 May 2008, 10:01
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
kobus,

Looking very good. I also like the blue top table....
Old Sat 17 May 2008, 13:15
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Mooi man, baaie mooi...

I also bought my decals friday, and gave second coat to the gantry, Y-car and Control box this morning, no pics at this point but we seem to be level pegging, time for this Stormer to up his game, can't have a Shark/Lion taking the lead...

Interesting note on the cost of the vinyl cut letters, The first quote for 5 "MechMates" in three different sizes came in at R250.00 (I supplied complete artwork, all they had to do was cut!), An hour later the second quote came in at R150.00 (getting better) and just before closing the last one came in at R75.00, on confirmation, the job was ready 15 min later - and all these shops were within a 2Km radius of each other. I'd be interested to know what you paid for yours up there?
Old Sun 18 May 2008, 01:25
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Hi Alan, this Shark is way behind you. The way I do this project....beg borrow and steal....I do the bits as I get them. I have the gantry and car, that is about it. I am waiting for my table beams...yes also from a friend of a friend of a friend at a good price. My kitchen project has not even started yet...but I will get there.

About the decals...well one good thing to owning your own vinyl cutter, I don't have to be screwed on that side. The amount of vinyl used on my machine was no more than R 6.00. Yes six South African Rand.

Alan what did it cost you to bring the wheels into South Africa. Did they just put them into the post ? I think I have to go that route because I got a quote from some engineering firm to make me 14 pieces, but for that price I can go to Adendorf ... www.tooltime.co.za and buy myself a lathe and do the job myself.
Old Sun 18 May 2008, 02:43
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Hi Kobus

If I remember correctly, I paid about R1800 including postage for 14 rollers and 6 cams - about the same price I was quoted to just turn the tyres here in CT. I should have got 4 extra cams as I cant start assembling yet - 4 of my cams are still on the skate and I havent done the x-rails yet so I dont want to take it apart.

Superior bearings is a pleasure to deal with, and their stuff is good quality.
Old Sun 18 May 2008, 04:57
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Hi KOBUS & Alan

Quite interesting what things cost I got a quote for cnc cutting in George and the price for cutting only was R 1816 and no bending and some parts were missing total cost at the end of the day was R 2 400,00.

I am also taking longer than expected as I am still trying to decide on what motors I will be using and also where the closest suppliers are for most of my electrical supplies. I would probably end up taking a long weekend to Cape Town and get it from there.

Most of my steel has been cut and are ready to be welded (will start posting pic`s soon).I am also trying to get most of the parts together first but the more i see your MM the sooner i would like to sart,also most of of my parts have been supplied by cnc direct.(bob,transformers,reduction gears and belts and pinion gears) prices are not that bad.
Old Sun 18 May 2008, 18:21
Doug_Ford

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Your parts look beautiful too Kobus. Hang in there.
Old Sun 18 May 2008, 19:41
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Nice work Kobus !!

Your logo's are looking good.
Old Sun 18 May 2008, 23:47
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Hallo Hennie, are you using the steppers from CNC direct also?
Old Mon 19 May 2008, 03:07
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Hi Kobus

Still Deciding On Size As Most Of My Parts Are From Them I Am Looking At Using The 34hsx308 Stepper.if I Use Them I Need To Use Two Integrated Power Supplies Also Trying To Find A Reason Why.

Will You Use The Bob From Them ?
Old Mon 19 May 2008, 07:33
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Don't know yet still waiting for Jan to get back to me regarding the USA order.
Old Mon 19 May 2008, 08:08
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Also Try RSSOUTHAFRICA.COM or visit them they are in KYALAMI MIDRAND they stock some interresting parts.

IS ANYONE OF OUR LOCAL BUILDERS USING THE BOB FROM CNC DIRECT ?
Old Mon 19 May 2008, 08:21
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
RS South Africa WILL induce cardiac arrest on sight of their prices!!!, sure they have almost everything in one place but a little shopping around or direct sourcing on the web will find the same or similar item for a lot less.

I have a CNC Direct BOB at home, have not tried it yet but their build quality is impressive, and its very compact.
Old Mon 19 May 2008, 08:29
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Alan , you are not using it for your machine or is it for another build

I must say that I agree with you about the quality I got one also but most of the other builders are using other bobs .I still need to figure out how to wire it.It does look simple but still don`t have the courage and all the parts to do the kitchen table project.
Old Mon 19 May 2008, 08:43
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
I have a Bob Cambell board for this machine, the CNC direct board will go into the next one.

Take it slow and ask questions if you are not sure.
Old Mon 19 May 2008, 09:10
hennie

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
THANKS WILL DO

My problem is to get all the parts together as it is always nice to start and finish with one go, it doesn`t always happen like that but it is a nice idea.
Old Mon 19 May 2008, 09:24
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_c View Post
I have a Bob Cambell board for this machine, the CNC direct board will go into the next one.
Alan, Is there something you’re not pleased with the Cambell board ?
Why the CNC direct for the next one ?. I’d really appreciate more in depth I’m sure other too would like to know !
Robert
Old Mon 19 May 2008, 10:00
Alan_c

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Nothing wrong with the Cambell board - I haven't run enough yet to test it out properly anyway, but the CNC Direct board is designed and built locally and I would want to test it to see how it compares, and with the current exchange rates it's better to keep the money in the country - we have a saying "Local is Lekker" meaning nice and the idea is to support local manufacturers where possible.
Old Mon 19 May 2008, 11:50
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Thanks Alan for the clarification.
Also quite nice to know some others still support basic GOOD values ( a rare one in this day & age). Producing make me more prone to those!
Take care, Robert
Old Wed 21 May 2008, 08:35
Belli
Just call me: Greg

Johannesburg
South Africa
Geckodrives

Hi Kobus,

Drop me a line and I can probably sort you out for some Geckodrives.

Regards,
Greg

www.cncdirect.co.za
Old Sun 01 June 2008, 11:26
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Wow what a surprise. I contacted Belli thinking he can give me a good price on some Geckos, but that was not it...he gave me 4 x G202 Gecko's for FREE...some old stock he said and as he only stock G203 these are lying around.
I then bought a transformer from him and the Mach3 BOB as well. I will buy some G203's at a later stage.

Now waiting for my wheels from Rick and the steppers from China to arrive.

I must have been a good boy's scout helping little old ladies across the street, because this is not where it ended. My brother in law's son is a draughtman and have contacts in the steel industry. On Wednesday he contacted me telling me to come and pick up my main beams and cross supports...also for FREE. So this weekend the table was assembled. Not completed yet, but standing.

On the picture my little pension eater...yea the little one born 11 years after my eldest son is getting a feel of the new table....incase the BIG Boss of the house tells us to get out and sleep with MECH MATE

mmTafel.jpg

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read