MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 10 April 2008, 23:39
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Cool tables and spindle ordering fun #6 - Brakpan, S.Africa

Hi there everybody.

After reading, drooling, visiting Gerald etc, I finally made a start. This will be a sloooooooow build as funds are not alway available. I shop around for the BEST price and service where ever I can.

Below (link was broken - pic lower down) are my parts back from the supplier. All 24 parts cut and bend for R 1300.00. With the steel price going thru the roof over here in South Africa I think this was a mistake or a bargain.

The pieces fit together perfectly and this weekend I will start to weld the Y-Car.
Old Fri 11 April 2008, 06:23
Greg J
Just call me: Greg #13

Hagerman, New Mexico
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobus_Joubert View Post
Hi there everybody.

This will be a sloooooooow build as funds are not alway available.
Way to go Kobus,

Don't forget time also. If it wasn't for time and money, we'd all have a MM in about a week.
Old Sat 12 April 2008, 09:20
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Don't know what happened there, but here are the parts. These chaps in Johannesburg took about 4 days.

MM parte.jpg
Old Sat 12 April 2008, 09:51
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
I see they missed a small bend.... (1040372B)

That price ($167) sounds as if it is from a new company trying to buy into the market. I also get prices like that, but I place R50 000 to R80 000 orders per month. There is always a new kid on the block trying to buy into the big boy's markets - you have to seek them out for this type of project.
Old Sat 12 April 2008, 13:42
IN-WondeR
Just call me: Kim

Randers
Denmark
Funny, I also noticed that small bend missing.
But 167 dollars for a set, is a very good price...

Looking nice thoguh. Hoping to see more pictures along the way.... :-D
Old Sat 12 April 2008, 22:04
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Kim, I would have been disappointed in you if you did not miss it
Old Sun 13 April 2008, 01:41
IN-WondeR
Just call me: Kim

Randers
Denmark
Gerald....

It's quite obvious that little thing needs a little bend....
But hey, even pro's can make mistakes....:-D
Old Sun 13 April 2008, 10:16
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
You guys are EAGLE-EYE'd. I was hoping nobody will notice it...bad photo in strong afternoon sunlight, dark background...I have spoken to them, and the next time I am in town they will fix that little 90 degree.

This company is a well established metal dealer.They cut any piece you want of any type of steel. They have a waterjet as well as the laser.

Did not manage to weld anything yet this weekend as other things around the house took preference.
Old Sat 19 April 2008, 13:23
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Ok, some update for those that like pictures and also for the eagle eye'd chaps out there to check up and make sure I don't stuff this up. So if anything LOOKS out of place / WRONG, please shout so that I can fix it in time.

The gantry, Y-Car and spider bracket was welded up today. Took note of Alan's tip for the rectangular seam to be on the bottom. I will also drill the holes later, that is why I left the stiffening closures off till later. Thought it would be easier to get the de-burring on the inside done this way and to fit the 20mm flat bar inside.

Also picked up the gauge plate on Thursday R 362.00 for that piece of nice STRAIGHT steel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gantry.jpg (54.2 KB, 9316 views)
File Type: jpg Spider1.jpg (36.0 KB, 9206 views)
File Type: jpg Y-Car.jpg (52.1 KB, 9235 views)
Old Sat 19 April 2008, 13:28
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Question to Gerald / anybody, Is the Stiffening closure cable carrier on the correct side of the gantry ?

Secondly. The Spider has about 7mm gap when I put it inside the Y-Car. Is this correct? Do I need to make up a spacer to get it in the correct place?

Thanks
Old Sat 19 April 2008, 18:07
Doug_Ford
Just call me: Doug #3

Conway (Arkansas)
United States of America
Kobus,

I don't have the new Mamba parts but your stiffening cable carrier is where I attached my cable carrier on my Classic. 7mm is about right for space. On one side of my spider plate, I had a single washer to take up space and on the other side, I had two washers. Cram them in there if you have to because any space that remains will allow the spider to stretch out and pull the V rollers away from the Z axis plate and can cause problems when you try to tighten them up.

Your work looks good by the way.
Old Sat 19 April 2008, 18:34
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
I had about 2.5 mm to make up. Added a few shimming washer and everything bolted up nicely. Short is actually good in this scenario.

Kobus - nice work.., keep it up!
Old Sat 19 April 2008, 21:23
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Didn't expect as much as 7mm but spacers are the right way to go. The spider can stretch about a mm to a 1/16" to close the last bit of gap. Bracket on gantry is in correct location.
Old Sun 20 April 2008, 01:24
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thanks guys, this gives me more confidence to go out there and work on it further. I thought the laser cutting company made a misake, or I made a mistake when putting it together. On the other hand how can one go wrong with this machine. Everything is well documented, well designed and that makes it such a pleasure to build this thing.
Old Tue 22 April 2008, 12:47
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Made some bushes this afternoon when I got back from work. Did them in the drill press. Made a small JIG that I clamped on the drill to keep bolts steady and in the same place. The 6th one is still in to be done....got dark and cold out there.

Bushes.jpg

Gerald, can I use 25 mm flat bar inside the gantry. Cannot get 20 mm from my local steel merchant...out of stock.

When you build your new machine will it be using PK296A2A SG 7.2 motors ?
Old Tue 22 April 2008, 13:06
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Ja, 25mm should be okay. Yes, have a set of 7.2 motors.
Old Tue 22 April 2008, 13:16
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
1 amp or 2 amp motors ?
Old Tue 22 April 2008, 13:24
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I think they are 2A's
Old Tue 22 April 2008, 19:22
revved_up
Just call me: Craig

Hartland, MI
United States of America
they are 3A .48 ohm
Old Mon 28 April 2008, 11:49
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Update on building my MM. Done the Z-slide and all the holes tapped. Very easy with a cordless drill do do the tap's. Done the holes in the Y-clamp strip. Also drilled the holes on the gantry.But THEN.... On drawing 10 20 246 D revision B the top right hand drawing it shows the angle iron...the 12mm holes being 46.4 mm from the edge, but at the bottom of the same drawing point number 2. it said 46 mm from the reference edge. Does this 0.4 mm make a difference ?

[ATTACH]Z-plate.jpg[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Y-car.jpg (57.4 KB, 9027 views)
Old Mon 28 April 2008, 12:24
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Kobus,
Looks good.
Nope, that .4 isn't really a big deal.
Your mock up looks very good. The mamba parts look fantastic.
Point, I know your just mocking up the z-slide, but please check to make sure your bolting up the spider in the correct set of holes to maintain your spoilboard offset. It would appear you need to move either 1 or 2 holes towards the motor end of the y-car to be balanced.

Also, I think the mamba cable chain attachment needs to face the other way - unless your doing something different with your chain.

I haven't actually used the Mamba set, I have a "classic"
Old Tue 29 April 2008, 00:06
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thanks for the tips Sean. I did change the cable chain support to the other side. When I bought the 60x60 angle iron I asked for STRAIGHT pieces. When I looked at them at the yard they looked straight, but at home I noticed that they are not 100%. Will I be able to get them in line when I bolt them onto the gantry and the X axis one onto the table?
About the position of the Z-slide...should I turn it around 180 degrees and bolt it to the first set of holes on the stepper side?

Gerald, if you think that the angle iron cannot be forced into position I can buy a new piece and use these parts for the legs of the big table.

Thanks, Kobus
Old Tue 29 April 2008, 02:16
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
The Z orientation is correct, just move it 2 slots closer to the y-motor.

I can't judge how bad your angle irons are for line. All I can say is that they are surprisingly easy to coax into line with the shims and the screws at close intervals. What is the biggest kink you have over 500mm? I would guess that 2mm over 500mm can be tolerated?
Old Tue 29 April 2008, 02:29
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Found the SA Institute of Steel Construction spec: "The straightness of any length shall be such that the offset does not exceed 1/500th of that length". So you should be at 1mm per 500mm, which I think would be easy to screw down straight.
Old Tue 29 April 2008, 12:06
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Thanks Gerald, They are not that bad. When I put them back to back next to each other, there is a slight gap in the middle. I can press this GAP close with my bare hands.

Just check me on this one. The Y-rail clamp strip holes will be tapped to 8mm. The gantry holes are 9mm and the angle iron rail holes will be 12mm. Is the 12mm holes in the rails for adjustment / straightning of the rails ?

I have my spacing at 160mm apart.
Old Tue 29 April 2008, 12:28
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Yes, the extra gap is for adjustment.
Old Thu 01 May 2008, 12:51
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Today managed to cut the Y-Rails down using the top part of the skate. Used about 5x Pferd 1mm thick disks to do the job. Did grinding on one rail and drilled and tapped the 8 mm holes on both Y-rail 'clamps'. Drilled all the 12mm holes on the Y-Rails.

Fitted the one rail to the gantry....still to be trimmed to length. Moved the Z-slide two positions towards the Y-Stepper on the Y-Car as indicated by Gerald.

IMG00210.jpg
IMG00213.jpg
Old Thu 01 May 2008, 15:01
turnerseng
Just call me: andy

PMB
South Africa
Trimming the angle iron

Just a thought,
Why not fit a cutting disc to a table saw and then send it, using the fence as a guide??
Old Thu 01 May 2008, 19:23
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Andy,
Gerald actually proposed this for the rails and or the z-slide plate. He posted pictures of this on one of his threads. See this old thread.

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311
Old Thu 01 May 2008, 21:35
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Table saws are too slow for the cutting disk.

Kobus, how long did it take you to cut all the rails down?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read