MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 16 March 2018, 21:22
ChuckS
Just call me: Chuck #125

Mt Clemens, MI
United States of America
Business is booming. I've been making and selling lots of kayak paddles, and a few local (BIG) companies have tracked me down with lots of ongoing work. So far, everybody who has tracked me was through connections I made at TechShop Detroit.

I'm hunting for a building, and may be building another machine or 3. I've not found anything I like better than the MM.
Old Fri 16 March 2018, 21:39
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Up late Chuck....
Glad & envy your.....growth.
Indeed. The Cnc world does have this potential to create......wonders & growth...
All the best....Robert
Old Sat 17 March 2018, 03:32
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Awesome! I love to hear that someone is being successful with their MM. Keep it rolling Chuck!
Old Sat 17 March 2018, 06:54
ifffff
Just call me: Ivo #38 & #130

Parnu
Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I've been making lots of kayak paddles
Intresting. Can you put some photos of them? I am doing same job for one customer.
Old Mon 19 March 2018, 08:47
YANLM
Just call me: Yannick #129

ST DENIS
Reunion
hello Chuck #125, i have seen that you have made a vacuum table, have you some photos to share perhaps?

Yannick.
Old Mon 19 March 2018, 20:04
ChuckS

Mt Clemens, MI
United States of America
Here'a a pic of some of my paddles.

Sadly, I was in too much of a hurry to take pics when I built my vac table. I have 8 zones, but the table is pretty generic. I did use these valves, which I like MUCH better than the typical gate valve. It's powered by a ShopVac. Not ideal, but good enough for what I'm doing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old Tue 20 March 2018, 05:01
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Nice! I see what you mean about being "busy". Thanks for the tip on the valves. Maybe you could share a picture of your completed vacuum table setup. I'm one of those still "thinking" about a vacuum system.
Old Tue 20 March 2018, 11:55
IamDave
Just call me: Davey

Ball Ground, GA
United States of America
Chuck can you post a picture of your "Mechmate", for me. or point me to a pic on the forum?Thank you.
Old Thu 17 May 2018, 11:07
IamDave
Just call me: Davey

Ball Ground, GA
United States of America
Never mind there Chuck #125. I found it.
Old Thu 19 July 2018, 18:37
ChuckS

Mt Clemens, MI
United States of America
Question-

A few weeks ago, I was getting mis-aligned cuts, which I tracked to a loose belt in my Y axis drive. I tightened the belt, and all was good.

I'm now getting the same problem, so I assume it's the same answer. I'm away from my machine for a bit, and just had a customer notice a stepped cut from a few days ago. (parts are still acceptable- it helps to have great rapport with customers!)

I've been running my MM long and hard- do belts have a life? Or am I just not tightening things well enough?
Old Thu 19 July 2018, 19:07
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Cheap belts will have stretch more than a quality belt for sure. However if you did not put blue loctite on the grub/set screws it can cause this also. There is a lot of torque being applied on the pinions so I would look there first.
Old Thu 19 July 2018, 19:24
ChuckS

Mt Clemens, MI
United States of America
I do have Locktite on the grub screws (added after some slippage early in MM's life), and everything is tight. (As of when I checked 3 weeks ago). Customer says I'm out about 15-20 thou.

My belts are these from B&B manufacturing and are neoprene/fibreglass.
https://www.bbman.com/catalog/product/162XL037G

I'm ignorant of the quality of belts, and not really price sensitive. The machine has gotta work :-)

Any recommendations?

Thanks!!
Old Thu 19 July 2018, 19:42
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Working in maintenance we found that Goodyear belts held up the longest to the abuse of heat and work stress. They were acquired by Continental a few years back but still make a quality belt.

If you have an indicator that you can use, running a test to see which axis is the problem. I am unfamiliar with your drive setup without some in depth reading. If it is a gearbox drive then a backlash problem can be present.

If your motor is mounted only with four bolts, it could be pulling it back. Mounting a small steel block with a pusher screw to keep the motor in place is a good option as well. This will keep the belt tension constant.
Old Thu 19 July 2018, 19:59
ChuckS

Mt Clemens, MI
United States of America
I'm running the 3.6:1 belt drives supplied by Metalhead.

It appears the Y axis is the problem. No detectable error in X. Most of what I'm cutting has square profiles, so it's mostly only moving one axis at a time.

Yup- only mounted with four bolts. I should have thought of the block & pusher screw, but didn't.

Thanks!! I will fab up a pusher block and bolt, and track down some Goodyear/Conti belts.
Old Fri 20 July 2018, 06:58
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
For what it's worth Mate (Chuck) !!, in my case, I tend to get this (of alignment, or out off spec) occasionally !
In my case, what cause this, is mostly on my "Y" as it get out of alignment.
Many factors I've found through time ( aside others) is, for me, being in northern east Canada, seasoning ( temps changes creates expansion & contraction ) of everything !
Metal, the concrete slab on what the machine sit, indore temps & humd changes with seasons..... on....& on !
So, in a nut shell, through all these years ( 10 now with my babe )....i've learned not to neglect recheck at least 2x per yr (if not 3 x ) the "realignment" !!

Sure, belt may be an issue?!?, not questioning that, but never had for me @_@!!

My 2ct & situation though I'd shared !
All best bud....

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read