MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 29 October 2013, 23:44
F.A.B
Just call me: Mich #116

Qld
Australia
Runs Like a Deere #116 - Qld, AU

“Don’t you already have a CNC”
Yes dear..
Well why do you need another one?
I want a bigger, better one…
But why?
To see if I can make it work by myself (with lots of forum helpers / and a couple of good mates)
But why?
Because I’m a man, I have a shed and that is what we do in sheds to forget about the shit day we had at work.
My wife then went on to says I’m crazy, obsessed or maybe she said possessed. Don’t really know, I wasn’t listening, I was reading a forum post about belt drives.

So this is where I am at. I do have a cnc, a shark.. I got it about 2 years ago and am just loving what it can do. This is just all a hobby for me, I don’t know how many things I have done on the little shark but only one was a paying job. I do it, like many other blokes, for the relaxation. But I want to do more, much much more. But still mainly for the fun.

This is a great site and you ALL need to be proud of it.. One thing I haven’t found is a map of where the machines are. I found the build register, just thought a map would be cool to see them on a world map.
Current Idea is for a machine to handle a full sheet 2400 x 1200 with some room either on the x or y axis for an indexer. Nema34 motors with belt reducers (3.2:1) / 2.2kw water cooled spindle / vac table for the timber / mister for the aluminium / dust extractor / touch plate/ etc etc. the full Monty. Why? Well I think unlike the business people that want a good low cost functional machine to make money. Us hobby people (well at least me, shouldn’t speak for others) always over engineer, over spec and generally go over the top when we either buy or build a new toy. Why? Because we can, and I think there is a rule that says we must!

So the planning is underway, any help in way of component suppliers on Oz would be appreciate. I am in Emerald Central Queensland, where anything a little different is just not here and must be found online.

As I see it I have one main problem with this build, the mechanical side, cutting, welding and grinding no problem. But me and electronics are not good friends. (That is why I started with the plug and play shark). Maybe I just need to be introduced to a few circuit boards and a couple of power supplies, shake a few hands get to know each other and we will become the best of friends. I Live in hope! Even if electronics and myself don’t become friends, I am confident that you guys here we show me a way to work with them.

Now back to the note pad of plans.

Mich
Old Wed 30 October 2013, 03:12
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Well if this is your introduction, Welcome! Mich I think you will find lots of support to get you through the electronics. I see nothing wrong with wanting all the bells and whistles for your machine, most of us get them in the end anyway. Well good luck and happy building.
Old Wed 30 October 2013, 03:13
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Mich

Welcome to the MM site. You will not be sorry that you picked a MM to build. You are ahead of the game for many that build one of these machines. I had no experience with working with steel or CNC. I had help building my table and the site helped with the controller box. I have a background in software so that part was easy.

Read and Read and Read the various post to understand. Find a number of builds that have been completed and learn from their success and mistakes.

Ask questions, you will find help.

You are crazy but it is a worth while crazy. When it is finished build some thing for your wife and she will think you are less crazy.

Good luck.
Old Wed 30 October 2013, 04:28
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Mich,
Welcome! U came to the right place.
Just tell you wife, "Man needs toys to play to stay at home, love"
Old Wed 30 October 2013, 05:20
lonestaral
Just call me: Al #114

Isarn
Thailand
Send a message via Skype™ to lonestaral
Welcome.
Mad , NO !
The word is "eccentric"
You are an eccentric.

Read a lot.
Read some more.
Decide what you want.
Read again.
Plot, read then build.
You will find all you need to know here, including eccentrics.
Old Wed 30 October 2013, 05:45
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Welcome. I'm way more mechanically inclined, and I got through the electronics part with some hand holding. Jump in, do your research and it all unfolds in time.
Old Wed 30 October 2013, 06:57
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Mich,

Regarding your interest in seeing a Map of MechMate's, take a look at this POST. One of our members put the location of each MechMate Member on a Google Map. Gerald converted it to a KMZ file. If you have Google Earth on your computer, just double click the KMZ file in the post and Google Earth will load and all the locations of MechMate Members, worldwide, will be shown. You'll have to zoom in to see them. You can rotate the Google Earth map to see each country.

As far as I know, this map has not been updated since it was created in 2010.
Old Wed 30 October 2013, 17:20
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
You might order a prewired electronics from Mike (Metalhead) for starters and then figure it out the reverse way what's what and how stuff works.
Its fairly simple but it can take time.
Old Thu 31 October 2013, 01:37
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Many of us are software, electronics & electrical handicapped, including me.
Some how, everyone become competent in all that is required & mysteriously, another MM is born... Its MAGICAL!!!
Old Thu 31 October 2013, 03:20
Mrayhursh
Just call me: Hurshy

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Part of the Package

Hey, I thought that being crazy was part of being Australian. That is why American admire Australians. Sorta like merging Cowboys and the British and through in a Dingo.
Old Thu 31 October 2013, 15:21
F.A.B

Qld
Australia
Well thank you all for the welcome. I know that there is a lot of information here and in some respects there is too much. It makes my head hurt with so many options and variations. But I WILL get my head around it and have a cutting machine before Easter 2014. So the parts collecting has started for the table while I come up with a parts list for the electronics. I will be back for advice.
Old Thu 31 October 2013, 16:49
David Bryant
Just call me: David #99

Western Australia
Australia
Hi Mich
Your wife could so relate to mine........

I am in Perth
PM if you want to chat.
Cheers
David
Old Thu 31 October 2013, 17:47
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
I don't think Mike offers a prewired kit, only the components to assemble a control box.
Old Fri 01 November 2013, 01:36
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Don't be intimidated.There are 20~30 wires & most of them are repeated.
Old Fri 01 November 2013, 09:19
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Welcome Mike. I have never heard of a sane person who wanted to be considered 'normal' anyway.

So welcome to a great crazy house where the average is above the norm
Old Sun 03 November 2013, 18:28
F.A.B

Qld
Australia
Credit card taking a hit.

Well the card has been taking a bit of a hit this past week.
gecko 203v ordered
pmdx 126 ordered
laser kit underway
2.2kw spindle ordered
steel, motors and rollers to be confirmed.

Question. the only 6mm angle for the V tracks I can get locally is 75x50 is this going to be a problem?
Old Sun 03 November 2013, 19:26
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
2x3 inch rails

I originally used 2x2 for all my rails. I guess I didn't read the plans close enough. After hearing the laughter from the peanut gallery. I order 2.5 x 2.5. But the steel yard was out of stock and told me to wait. Well, after going home and measuring the width of the x axis. I found that they were 2.5 inches wide. So I decided to use the 3 inch side laying flat would give me full coverage on the top of the x axis and give me the 1/2 inch I needed to mount the gear track. If you are using the skate that metal head sells you will notice that you luck out if you buy the 50 mm side as the rail. The flair at the front runs into the 2.5 inch high steel making it necessary to make two passes when you do your trimming. With the 50 x75 you do it with in one pass. I used 2.5 x 2.5 on my y axis because the tubes I used were 50x100x .180.
If you are going to ask about buying v groove rail take it from someone who did...don't waist your money. It has to be drilled and tapped. I would rather grind than drill and tap.
Old Sun 03 November 2013, 21:29
F.A.B

Qld
Australia
Thanks Hurshy I didn't see why the 75mm side laying flat would hurt on the x axis but will it hurt in the y axis (interfere with the Z carriage) I suppose I can always trim it back like I have to one the V side.
Old Mon 04 November 2013, 00:26
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
I will take a couple of pictures tomorrow and send them to you. Also, nothing says that it can be cut down too. Watch the edges they are razor sharp and hot. I have singed finger tips. Cuts on my shoulder and belly. I never knew I had then until I took a shower. If you have a file or flapper wheel (disk with overlapping folded sand paper). You can break the edge.
Old Mon 04 November 2013, 00:53
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
Here is a photo that a member posted.

The wider angle would just cover the x axis. By the way this guy should have setup and cut the y rail to length. So he can fix it by spacing it with washers.

looks like excess could rub inside of tray.
Oh on the y axis think able putting the 2 inch flat and cut the 3 inch.
Old Mon 04 November 2013, 00:54
Mrayhursh

Riverview, Florida
United States of America
fyi this y axis is upside down
Old Mon 04 November 2013, 04:59
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Shim all 4 wheels will center the whole assembly,
Old Mon 04 November 2013, 05:03
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Ken,
That will get the carriage back in line with the vee rail, but he might have an issue with the spur reaching the rail/rack if the motor shaft and pinion hub can't reach.

Personally, I would try to move the rail out board further with slotted holes or another set of holes to offset the overhang challenge. Second, shorten the y-axis carriage if the pinions didn't reach.
Old Mon 04 November 2013, 05:14
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Hi Mich

You can get your rack and pinions at T.E.A Transmissions.
They usually have 3 meter lengths in stock which means no joins will be required for the X axis.
In Australia you need to commit to a degree of sourcing off shore.
The build cost here is still more than in some other countries regardless as shipping adds up or is added onto the AU stock prices.

Good luck with your build but as you run the Shark CNC, you already have some CNC skills to start off with (more than I started with that's for sure).
Be cautious of deviating from the plans unless you fully understand some of the more subtle relationships between components.

Regards
Ross
Old Mon 04 November 2013, 05:48
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
The motor shaft can handle some overhand load, its ok if the spur gear extend over the motor shaft, the limiting factor is how long the spur gear is.

Bringing the rail further out is another way. There are 2 ways which I did, 1) enlarge the hole. Its ok to have the hole very big as the the rail sandwiches the RHS wall with the tapped flat bar. 2) drilling new holes on the RHS. IMHO, either ways are more tedious than shimming.

You may have your own.
Old Mon 04 November 2013, 05:49
F.A.B

Qld
Australia
Ken & Sean the above miss alignment is not I my machine. Hurchy posted those pics.
My question was if I use 75x50 angle on my rails with the 75 being the side bolted down there will be some 4mm hover hang inside of the gantry will this interfere with the Y car or should I trim it back to 65mm. I don't see a problem on the main rails with the 75mm.

Ross thanks for that I talked to TEA today and rack and pinions are on the way.
Old Mon 04 November 2013, 05:56
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
No issue. I use 75 x 50 Angle too. It actually look better to my eye.
Old Mon 04 November 2013, 06:00
F.A.B

Qld
Australia
That's good news Ken as that is what I purchased today!
Old Mon 04 November 2013, 06:16
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
3 x 2 angle is just fine. Thanks for the clarity.
I used 3" leg angle on #58 and worked great.
Old Sun 10 November 2013, 10:40
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Mich,
Just catching up on your thread. Nice to have another person who likes the challenge. Building the machine is not that hard. Just takes time and for some of us longer than others. You will have something to feel good about. I wish you the best of times with your build and if you have any questions, do not hesitate to post them. We all had our problems and everyone that frequents here will be more than willing to answer.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read