MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 26 March 2013, 03:02
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Dave, Hey how'd you do that? Do I post to my 'Newby' thread?

Again thanks Heath, was out welding till 2 this morning now I've got to go work. Need more sleep.
Old Tue 26 March 2013, 03:09
BooY
Just call me: Dave

QLD
Australia
I didn't do anything Tom, The mods have just tidied up your threads by merging them all into your original. If you just keep replying to this thread with updates and questions people will see them all in one place to follow your build and help you on your journey

Dave
Old Tue 26 March 2013, 03:19
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I'll be more careful of what I say now that I know my little messages aren't hidden throughout the forum. My ignorance may appear closer in the mirror.
Old Tue 26 March 2013, 05:58
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Just went back and read your intro...Exactly what is a Master Woodworker, and where does one recieve such a designation? Did you attend a school, or is it sort of a self proclaimed title?
I've heard others refer to themselves in a like mannner, and always wondered where it came from.

Thanks,
Darren
Old Wed 27 March 2013, 03:19
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Hey Darren, for the most part it means I do my job better than average. The distinction was given to me by my peers at a local guild based on repeated quality work presented to the guild. Means nothing though as I know many others who's work I envy. But I am well versed in many aspects of woodworking, not turning so much, doesn't interest me. I guess anyone who can claim it if they have the chops.
Old Wed 27 March 2013, 03:23
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Tom,

Nice campers and website. I had trouble looking at your gallery. It was very slow loading.

I would think that you have good sales with people that like to tailgate party for football games.
Old Wed 27 March 2013, 03:40
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Yeah some of the files are large and we're doing some maintenance to incorporated another business venture. If you are referring to the young ladies, I definitely agree. This last Christmas we were featured in the 2012 Neiman-Marcus Fantasy Gift Catalog and have one of our tailgaters listed at $150k, we've sold only 1 at that price but have had many that fall in the $45k-$75k marks. We are now nailing down final details on a deal with the NFL (big stuff).
Old Wed 27 March 2013, 03:45
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I've got to do some finishing on a few cabs this evening so I see little getting done on big blue. I'm building it in my shop here at the house and 1200sf is hardly large enough to do both simultaneously, contamination of the finishes.
Old Fri 29 March 2013, 05:41
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Just had a few minutes to research some of the controls and was wondering if this contactor is accepable? http://www.factorymation.com/Products/CU-22-I6.html Are there others that can be suggested as options?
Old Fri 29 March 2013, 05:52
BooY
Just call me: Dave

QLD
Australia
Depends what size spindle you wish to use and what Voltage you're running?

Being you are in the US i'm assuming you'll go single phase 110V ? in which chase that contactor could be on the small side as the specs show 25A @ 110 which would work out to be around 2750W so by the time you take into account losses throughout the system it would prolly just be right for a 1.5kw/2kw spindle, but wouldn't for a 3kw spindle
Old Fri 29 March 2013, 06:03
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
sorry, I forgot to give more intended use info. I'll be operating at 220 v (which is like 2 110's) and 3KW spindle. I'm not real good on electronics but can rap my head around basics pretty well. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Old Fri 29 March 2013, 06:32
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Tom, that contactor will be fine at 220v with a 3KW spindle. As Dave mentioned, if you tried were at 110, the amperage would be too high. At 220v, you have a comfortable safety margin.
Old Fri 29 March 2013, 07:37
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Tom,

Those contactors are what I have used in my controller box. I bought most of the parts for my controller box from FactoryMation.

Except what I could get from Skycraft Surplus.
Old Fri 29 March 2013, 08:09
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Now in one of the other post by Gerald he had a 'thermistor' for the spindle that was not needed if the spindle had such protection. How can I find these? I not even sure what to be looking for. I know that I may be wasting time if it is not needed but think it is smarter to know my options and what will be required when choosing my spindle (it will most likely be from China)
Old Fri 29 March 2013, 08:44
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Nils, Did you have any Pics of your control box on the forum?
Old Fri 29 March 2013, 09:47
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Tom,

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...p?t=794&page=7 Post 270

That is when I had a router.
Old Fri 29 March 2013, 15:05
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Thanks Nils, I just noticed that you live near Orlando, we have a place down in Cape Coral. I'll have to pay a visit next time we pass through. (if that's OK with you of coarse)
Old Fri 29 March 2013, 15:19
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Tom,

I always enjoy talking to MM. I have had many visitors that have built MM machines.

I have sailed out of Cape Coral and Ft Myers. It is a very nice area and a great place to sail. You sail?
Old Fri 29 March 2013, 15:53
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
A contactor is not needed for a vfd. If your VFD is set up properly it will protect the drive. If you were looking at a main line contactor for your entire box, I would not go with an IEC. IEC is always on the light side. It should be as resistive load relay or a NEMA contactor. Being an electro-mechanical technician, I can tell you that high voltage coils are frowned upon because of the potential that is there when troubleshooting. If you are 230 3 phase then this would be your only option unless you have a neutral. I don't know if you have a wye or delta configuration if you are 3 phase. Since you are in the states, you should try to comply with NEC and NFPA79. NEC now dictates that you must comply with them for any wiring is not a system purchase from a manufacturer where before NFPA would allow exceptions if you were the builder.
Old Fri 29 March 2013, 16:08
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Tom,

I bought my VFD from FactoryMation, Teco and I do not have it going throught my Controller Box. The extra contactor I have in my box was for my router. I ran 4 wires for the VFD-Spindle and it is 230.

My shop is in Orlando.
Old Fri 29 March 2013, 22:40
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Nils, yes I do, I sold my 24' C&C Yacht two years ago. just didn't have the time. the nearest real water (in the mountains) is 80-90 minute drive away.
Old Fri 29 March 2013, 22:59
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Pete, a NEMA contactor it'll be. I am using 220 single phase, so I should be able to go with the 3 pole, correct? I'm a little confused maybe by how the e-stop works with that & how it ties in. First, is the e-stop tied in at all? Is it the BOB that controls the estop then in turn cuts power at the contactor turning off the whole system. Can you help my understanding of this? I'm trying to understand how that contactor works.

The VFD should provide the protection to the spindle, so I shouldn't have to worry about it too much at this point. Thanks guys!
Old Sat 30 March 2013, 06:03
alan254
Just call me: Al #95

mystic ct
United States of America
Hi Tom,

Check out starting on page 2 of my page "cutting some signs #95" we have along discussion on e stops, what should stop and what should not stop.

Al
Old Sat 30 March 2013, 06:41
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Thanks Al, I have been following your build and I grasp it better after reviewing. Sometimes my head is a little thick, I do know that I'll get it better after I have most of the parts. I'm the type that has to have all things (or information) in place before it clicks.

Did you ever install that opto-isolator Brad had suggested?
Old Sat 30 March 2013, 06:53
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Is this contactor Better? http://http://www.factorymation.com/...-11-AC230.html
Old Sat 30 March 2013, 10:36
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Tom,

I purchased two of these for my controller box.

http://www.factorymation.com/Products/CU-22-F6.html

Hope that helps.
Old Sat 30 March 2013, 11:46
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Thanks Nils, I think I just go with one of the two. Just came in from welding and grinding. Have completed the long side supports (minus the main rails) I'll post a pic as soon as I can find the camera.
Old Sat 30 March 2013, 13:05
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Yes, you don't need two if you are going to have a spindle.
Old Sat 30 March 2013, 13:20
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I've tried searching for instruction on posting pics and can't find it. Can someone point me to the posting? Thanks
Old Sat 30 March 2013, 14:15
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
All right lets try again, this is the first pictures of my progress, first is the lower frame sides and the other is a dry fit of the laser cut parts that Metalhead Mike provides, (thanks Mike)
Side base.jpg
Lasercut Parts pic.jpg

The welding is not great but passable.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read