MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Fri 21 October 2011, 09:08
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
You did open the door with the "wasn't sticking the the primer properly." comment.
Old Wed 26 October 2011, 21:50
TechGladiator
Just call me: Miguel #94

Randolph, NJ
United States of America
@Heath: I did open up myself for that comment

I have to say I am blown away about the "Same Day Delivery" that McMaster offers. About 3-4 days ago I ordered a few bolts along with a few different things from them around 9am, guess what??? It was at my office doorstep by 3:30pm!!.. The label in the box said "Speedy Same day Delivery!!!!" now that's fast shipping.

I am about to start working on the motor mounting and would love to know if any of you guys have ordered the belt and pulley from McMaster and would happen to have part numbers that could share.
Old Sat 29 October 2011, 15:53
TechGladiator

Randolph, NJ
United States of America
Repainted Table

Here are the pictures of the repainted table. After re-priming it, getting a better paint gun and better paint. Starting to put it back together. I welded the 1.5x1.5" square pipe to the table to be able to attach the casters with U-Bolts. It worked out pretty good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0233.JPG (114.2 KB, 1178 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0234.JPG (109.0 KB, 1187 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0235.JPG (92.0 KB, 1178 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0236.JPG (95.4 KB, 1183 views)
Old Sun 30 October 2011, 06:17
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Nice work Miguel. Looks sharp! Great idea to use the square tube to provide a flat surface to mount the casters.
Old Sun 30 October 2011, 09:53
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Looking good Miguel.
Old Sun 30 October 2011, 11:28
TechGladiator

Randolph, NJ
United States of America
Thanks guys. I do have to say, this is my very first time welding and painting with an HPLV (Spray) gun. Who ever came up with the idea of putting training videos on youtube is a genius.

One of the main reasons I went for a bolted machine vs welded was so I could easily move it when it came time to move from my current warehouse/office BUT it has already showed is advantages. When I was mounting the X rails I noticed the table was about 1" off square which made me almost stop breathing because I hadn't notice this problem while I was building the machine. It ended up being a really easy fix because it was bolted. I loosened the bolts on the crossing beams and within 10 minutes it was back to Square, it was a good feeling!...
Old Sun 30 October 2011, 18:47
TechGladiator

Randolph, NJ
United States of America
I added a youtube video with a bunch of pictures and timeline of the build so far. Hope you guys enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se6LFuZdvHs
Old Mon 31 October 2011, 15:00
234ahmed
Just call me: Ahmed #81

Damietta
Egypt
Great looking machine Miguel. Great music also.
You have a good taste
Wish you all the best
Old Mon 31 October 2011, 20:24
TechGladiator

Randolph, NJ
United States of America
Thank you Ahmed!...Hopefully will be making some dust pretty soon. Trying to make my kids a home made skateboard (I may have to get some pointers from Ross/Surfcnc)..
Old Thu 03 November 2011, 17:20
TechGladiator

Randolph, NJ
United States of America
So today I started wiring the electronics. I am attaching a couple pictures of the progress. On the Right hand side of the panel you can see the power supplies, I am hoping they are big enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0579.jpg (272.1 KB, 1046 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0580.jpg (205.8 KB, 1047 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0581.jpg (90.8 KB, 1039 views)

Last edited by TechGladiator; Thu 03 November 2011 at 17:25..
Old Thu 03 November 2011, 18:19
zumergido
Just call me: Fernando

BS AS
Argentina
how many machines you are building? i see 4 transformers each one big enough for one machine.
do some show and tell becouse that cabinet have some xtras that i dont think will be for the MM
but at the end... GOOD WORK
Old Thu 03 November 2011, 18:29
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Funny !!! All that for a 2x2 machine ???
Old Thu 03 November 2011, 18:58
TechGladiator

Randolph, NJ
United States of America
I really want to make sure that I have everything cover.. hehehe! Kidding.

Actually, we are building this MCC (Motor Control Center) for a customer of ours. It will control a car wash and all its machines, sensors, conveyor, parking lot lights, sprinkler system, etc etc etc. Unfortunately I didn't take a good picture of the top/left hand side of the box. There is three phase 480V @ 800Amps coming into this box. Some of the components inside the box are (12) 15HP VFDs, (1) 3HP VFD, (4) 48V Power supplies for the LED lights, (6) 500VA power supplies, 324 (Not a typo) SPDT relays to control the equipement (Soap/water/chemical solenoids), and our embedded controller that makes everything work
Old Fri 04 November 2011, 02:32
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
LOL!!! You got me!!!
I was beginning to wonder how complicated anyone can make the MM control panel into
Old Fri 18 November 2011, 22:18
TechGladiator

Randolph, NJ
United States of America
Z Slide Grinding

@Ken: That was the intent. I wanted a little humor on the thread.

I just realized I had not posted an update in almost two weeks. After reading a bunch of threads about grinding the Z-Plate I decided to finally get it done. I have to say it was a lot easier than I had anticipated. I ordered the plate from McMaster (36") and once received it only took me 30 minutes per side to grind with the skate. I know there are a lot of pictures about the skate mounting and what not but I figured I would take some more. The pictures on this forum has helped me tremendously!!..

The 3kw spindle and VFD arrived today so I will be mounting that over the weekend. I will also be taking some more picture of the machine in the next day or so to post the progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0627.jpg (121.0 KB, 934 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0628.jpg (110.2 KB, 922 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0629.jpg (113.6 KB, 927 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0632.jpg (167.4 KB, 936 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0633.jpg (174.4 KB, 931 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0636.jpg (132.3 KB, 927 views)
Old Sat 19 November 2011, 12:03
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Yep, that looks about right.

For the new readers, you can notice that he used a 36" long unit and ground the edge, then trimmed to length.
Old Tue 22 November 2011, 18:06
TechGladiator

Randolph, NJ
United States of America
Quick Update

So I have the Z-Slide all drilled and tapped. Motors are mounted. The large black area you see on the side of the table is the area for the control boxes and VFD box to get mounted.. I think I will start wiring this weekend..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0657.jpg (129.5 KB, 826 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0658.jpg (142.9 KB, 832 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0655.jpg (139.3 KB, 824 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0659.jpg (144.2 KB, 824 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0661.jpg (154.0 KB, 819 views)
Old Mon 23 January 2012, 21:31
TechGladiator

Randolph, NJ
United States of America
So I just wanted to give everybody a quick update. I took some time off for the holidays to get things done on the "Honey Do List". As the old saying goes "Happy wife, happy life".

The table building is all complete as you can mostly see from the pictures above. I have mounted all the electronics, ran all the wires and probably terminated about 75% of all the wiring. Over the next could of days I am going to be finishing wiring the limit sensors as well as the start/stop circuit. So far the contactor, front door start/stop button, gecko drives, BOB and power supply are all wired.

I will be posting pictures within the next day or so.
Old Tue 24 January 2012, 04:07
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Looking good !!!
Old Tue 24 January 2012, 09:21
TechGladiator

Randolph, NJ
United States of America
So I am stuck on what it may be a non-issue or just a personal preference but I wanted to make sure. I am getting ready to wire the steppers into the Gecko drives (No BOB). I have the 8 wire KL34H280-45-8A and I am going to be wiring them Bipolar-Parallel @ 48VDC. I have run two cables into each one of the junction boxes (One 8 Conductor shielded and One 4 Conductor shielded). My question is, which one do I use for the steppers? Do I double up each of the wires for the steppers and use the 4 Conductor wire or do I use the 8 conductor wire and then just pair the wires in the box where the Gecko drives are?

Also, just to make sure. I am wiring as follows with a 39k resistor on each Gecko drive.

(A+) Blue & Yellow
(A-) Red & Green
(B+) Brown & Orange
(B-) Black & White
Old Tue 24 January 2012, 13:51
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
You could do either, although my preference would be to use the 4 conductor wire, since it should be less expensive, and requires fewer total connections.
Old Tue 24 January 2012, 16:47
baseball43v3r
Just call me: John #96

Glendora (California)
United States of America
i have the same motors you do, and the wiring you show is correct. double check your resistor value just to be sure! i had the wrong one, and it caused me problems for days...
Old Tue 24 January 2012, 17:20
TechGladiator

Randolph, NJ
United States of America
Thank you guys. I will do some more wiring tomorrow. I am coming down to the final stretch. Just the start/stop/pause buttons to wire up. So far I've been able to keep the magic smoke inside all the electronic components.
Old Tue 24 January 2012, 18:38
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Use the 4 core to the motor and wire the ends there. Your resistor should be 420K (+/-) a little since that is the 6.3 amp config. Motor wire pairs look correct.
Old Tue 24 January 2012, 19:42
TechGladiator

Randolph, NJ
United States of America
Mike: Do I use the 420K for each of the Gecko drives? I am not using the PMDX-133, I am wiring directly into the PMDX-126.
Old Tue 24 January 2012, 19:53
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
The resistors are for the motors. All the 133 board does is simplify the wiring. You will see a place on the 203V for the resistors. These are current limit resistors for the Geckos/Motors.
Old Wed 25 January 2012, 01:04
baseball43v3r
Just call me: John #96

Glendora (California)
United States of America
miguel, see this post for how the gecko is wired up. you'll see the resistor on the left hand side, you need one per gecko.

http://mechmate.com/forums/showthrea...7&postcount=39
Old Wed 25 January 2012, 14:43
TechGladiator

Randolph, NJ
United States of America
Additional Wiring Progress

Not a whole lot of news. I have all the motors and drives wired up. Tomorrow will be time for start/stop/pause buttons. Bellow are some pictures of the progress
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0266.JPG (106.4 KB, 633 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0268.JPG (131.9 KB, 625 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0262.JPG (159.6 KB, 626 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0265.JPG (162.9 KB, 624 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0267.JPG (102.0 KB, 625 views)
Old Thu 26 January 2012, 16:37
TechGladiator

Randolph, NJ
United States of America
It moves!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6VPiohh5Vk

Today was a good day . I was able to get all for steppers to work in test mode built-in to the PMDX-126... Getting closer to some dust..
Old Mon 30 January 2012, 13:02
cvriv.charles
Just call me: charles

New Jersey
United States of America
VERY COOL MIGUEL!! I have yet to read through your log here. But let me ask,... where did you buy all your steel? Online or local?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read