MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 27 April 2010, 20:05
timberlinemd
Just call me: Steve #66

Arizona
United States of America
My table sucks ... and it awesome !! #66 - Arizona USA

I started my build with the electronics. The only modifications I made to the plans are to provide for a low voltage (24v AC) circuit for the E-Stops. I’m using the Gecko G-540 all-in-one BOB and motor drivers. I resurrected an old Windows 2000 computer I had in storage and formatted the drive to insure a clean machine. I downloaded Mach3’s free demo version and played around with it. My CADD program will be VisualCadd and the VisualCadd forum has I member that created a CAM program that I will be using for my machine.

When I started gathering parts for the electronics I needed an enclosure to put it all in. I felt that $100+ US was pretty steep for a box so I started looking in second hand stores. I found a gutted electrical service box for $5.00 US and while I was at this store I bought a medical cart donated to them by the local hospital for $30.00 US!! This thing must have cost thousands when it was new. I will be able to put my computer on the cart, which is mobile, and a 25’ printer cable running to the power panel, which will be attached to the machines base. The panel measures only 14”W x 18”H x 4”D. I have a 3 phase rotary converter in my shop, which will handle up to a 7-1/2 HP motor. I designed the power panel to be 3 phase in the future will I covert the machine to a spindle. Right now I will be using a very old (first generation) 3 HP Makita router. Same one as Gerald’s, but an older model. In the US it is customary to have a separate power disconnect to higher voltage machinery. I decided that I would stay with this typed of set-up, so the power panel doesn’t have an ‘off’ switch. Before voltage goes to the power panel there will be a separate disconnect box that will have a ‘pull-out’ to break the circuit going to the power panel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PowerPanel1.jpg (63.9 KB, 1805 views)
File Type: jpg motor2.JPG (63.2 KB, 1802 views)
File Type: jpg cart2.JPG (62.0 KB, 1798 views)
Old Tue 27 April 2010, 20:07
timberlinemd

Arizona
United States of America
Motors turning

I tried to complete my ‘kitchen table’ test, but I couldn’t get the Gecko G-540 to give me a green light with the ‘charge pump’ set to the ON position. Everything I did was according to all the information available on the forum as well as the rest of the Internet. To those that may have the same set-up that I do you will be appreciative of the fix I discovered for this problem.
My computer has a 7ZM motherboard by Gigabyte with an AMI BIOS. The BIOS allows for the necessary printer port setting of EPP to allow the G-540 to work. But the BIOS doesn’t actually do anything by switching to the EPP state. They didn’t connect a program to the EPP software switch!! There is nothing in the BIOS to change the printer port to an EPP state!! The only fix is to ‘Flash the BIOS’ with the most current software. This task can be DANGEROUS so proceed with caution! I’m sure there are other motherboards with the same BIOS so be on the lookout.

After I got my G-540 to ‘go green’ with the BIOS fix, I was able to get my motors turning. However, Murphy’s Law kicked in and I couldn’t get the second X-axis (a-axis on the G-540) to reverse direction. I looked into everything, but after eliminating all the easy stuff, I disassembled the G-540 and switched two of the internal drives. This showed that one of the drives of the G-540 was faulty. I contacted Gecko drive and I was very pleased by their service policy. I bought this unit from one the members here on the forum, used, and I relayed this info to Gecko. The told me it didn’t matter. If the drive was faulty they would fix/replace at no cost to me (except I paid to have it shipped to them). The turn-around time was less than a week. Now all the motors are turning correctly.
Old Tue 27 April 2010, 20:09
timberlinemd

Arizona
United States of America
Y-Car

I bought a used Lincoln AC welder at an estate sale for $125.00 US. I have never welded anything in my life! Time to teach this old dog some new tricks. After about a week of practicing with the welder I decided to assemble the Y-car. Like I said I’m no welder, but at least it’s done and the car is square, plum, parallel and level.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Y1.JPG (62.6 KB, 1804 views)
File Type: jpg y2.JPG (62.2 KB, 1799 views)
Old Tue 27 April 2010, 20:11
timberlinemd

Arizona
United States of America
Z-Slide

I tried out the ‘skate’ today. More time spent in the set-up than the grinding. JR’s skate dose an amazing job for rail grinding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z1.JPG (62.3 KB, 1797 views)
File Type: jpg skate1.jpg (62.1 KB, 1797 views)
Old Wed 28 April 2010, 00:04
timberlinemd

Arizona
United States of America
Spider missing bent tab for limit stops

My spider is missing the bent tab for the limit stops. I'm thinking that I will weld a small tab to the spider. Does anyone know what the dimensions of this tab should be?
Old Wed 28 April 2010, 00:09
swatkins
Just call me: Steve

Houston
United States of America
I can measure for you tommorow....
Old Wed 28 April 2010, 09:08
Hillbillie
Just call me: Larry

Paragould, AR
United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberlinemd View Post
I bought a used Lincoln AC welder at an estate sale for $125.00 US. I have never welded anything in my life! Time to teach this old dog some new tricks. After about a week of practicing with the welder I decided to assemble the Y-car. Like I said I’m no welder, but at least it’s done and the car is square, plum, parallel and level.
Well it looks like this "old dog" is doing a good job. Keep pictures coming.
Old Wed 28 April 2010, 13:00
swatkins

Houston
United States of America
There is a close up of the tab in the third picture of this post... http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...9&postcount=63

The tab on my spider is .600" wide and protrudes out from the surface of the plate .310" ... I had to file down my tab because it was slightly touching the back of the stiffener tube. I would think that the .310" dimension is not too critical as you can file it down if too long or place a few washers under the head of the limit bolts if it is too short...
Old Wed 28 April 2010, 20:12
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Nice progress Steve!
Old Wed 28 April 2010, 21:52
timberlinemd

Arizona
United States of America
Steve- Thanks for the info. I will cut up some stock and weld a tab to the spider.
Old Fri 30 April 2010, 22:18
timberlinemd

Arizona
United States of America
Rail cutting

Today I began to cut the rails down. I haven’t done allot of metal work. Been in the wood end along time. I discovered that using an abrasive disk to cut metal, one should try to keep the metal from getting too hot or the disk will not cut any longer. When I first set up to cross cut the angle, I set one leg of the angle up and against the back fence of the saw. This allowed me to cut the leg standing vertically very quickly but when the disk met the bottom leg lying horizontally and flat to the saw table, the disk cut very slowly and the metal got very hot. By turning the angle upside down so that the ‘V’ was inverted, I was able to cut the metal faster without it getting over heated.

I built a ‘sled’ for the skate and used the main beam for a flat surface. Taking light cuts all the way across the rail kept the metal from getting too hot and kept the sparks flying. I ordered the 2-1/2” x 2-1/2” angle iron. Gerald has remarked that the rail height has to be a maximum of 2” in order to allow the skate to get close enough to cut all the way through the angle. I found that if I used a new 4-1/2” disk towards the end of the cut, I could get almost thru. Then I bent the top of the angle a little with an 18” pipe wrench. This gave me room to cut some more. I could get all the way through the steel without having to cut the metal twice!

UPS came and delivered the cable chain.

Tomorrow I will be grinding the rails.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rail1.jpg (64.8 KB, 1696 views)
File Type: jpg rail2.JPG (64.7 KB, 1693 views)
File Type: jpg sled1.JPG (64.4 KB, 1684 views)
File Type: jpg sled2.JPG (64.7 KB, 1681 views)
File Type: jpg chain.JPG (64.0 KB, 1678 views)
Old Sun 09 May 2010, 00:54
timberlinemd

Arizona
United States of America
More progress...

I got the rails ground, but burnt up my old 10” miter saw cutting the rails to their final size. Used a friends 14” cut-off saw to finish the job. Harbor Freight will be having a sale on their 14” cut-off saw on the 13th, so I will have to wait a few more days to grab one. I cut down the gantry tubes while I was using my friend’s saw. I found that the saw would not cut the tubes very close to the 1mm square tolerance that is called for in the plans. I cut them slightly longer and clamped them together and finished the job by using my edge sander. I also was able to assemble the Z-Slide into the Y-car and adjust the rollers. Very nice! Tomorrow I will be drilling the tubes, rails and clamp strip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GantryTubes2.JPG (63.6 KB, 1600 views)
File Type: jpg ZSlide2.JPG (63.1 KB, 1601 views)
File Type: jpg ZSlide3.JPG (63.6 KB, 1603 views)
Old Sat 15 May 2010, 22:13
swatkins

Houston
United States of America
Looks like it is coming along nicely
Old Mon 17 May 2010, 21:56
timberlinemd

Arizona
United States of America
Smile More progress

Well, I got the rails, gantry tubes and clamp strips drilled and tapped. I laid out the gantry and welded it together. My friend who lent me his cut off saw while I waited for the Harbor Freight sale also let me use his auto-darkening helmet to weld up the gantry. He told me that once I use one I wouldn’t be able to go back to a regular welding helmet. He was right! What a difference!
I did some pre-assembly to see how the Y-car would track on the rails. Works very nicely
I picked up a new 14” metal cut off saw at Harbor Freight that was on sale. They also had an auto-darkening welders helmet on sale, got that too. Cut up some parts for the table and made a router mount out of some of the left over cross member channel. I mounted the router in the car and added the Z-motor. I did a little motor tuning in Mach3 and wired the Z-axis and watched the Z jog up and down. It works!!
Cut some more parts for the table, including the main beam. I’m starting to run out of the small assembly stuff to do and will have to start the main table. That’s when the hardest part of my build will have to be done… cleaning out an area in the shop to put the beast
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DrillRails1.jpg (64.8 KB, 1442 views)
File Type: jpg GantryCar2.jpg (64.2 KB, 1448 views)
File Type: jpg GantryCarMotor1.JPG (64.3 KB, 1440 views)
File Type: jpg Mess.JPG (64.6 KB, 1447 views)
Old Sun 13 June 2010, 22:33
timberlinemd

Arizona
United States of America
Main Table

Ok, it's been awhile, but I have been able to get rid of some stuff to make room for the main table. When my day job doesn't get in the way I have been able to work on the table and here are some pic's of the progress. I have put casters on the table so when I retract the adjustable feet I can roll the beast. Then a little adjustment of the feet downward and the beast is firm and level.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg table1.jpg (63.4 KB, 1326 views)
File Type: jpg table2.JPG (64.6 KB, 1325 views)
File Type: jpg table3.JPG (64.1 KB, 1327 views)
File Type: jpg table4.JPG (63.6 KB, 1327 views)
File Type: jpg table5.JPG (64.1 KB, 1328 views)
Old Wed 16 June 2010, 19:32
timberlinemd

Arizona
United States of America
Rolling on the X,Y & Z rails

I was able to get the X,Y & Z rails mounted and rolling on the table, gantry and Z slide. Will mount motors tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XYZ1.JPG (64.5 KB, 1257 views)
File Type: jpg XYZ2.JPG (64.5 KB, 1256 views)
File Type: jpg XYZ3.JPG (63.9 KB, 1250 views)
Old Wed 16 June 2010, 22:22
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Great progress. You are very close to dust making now.

Keep em coming!
Old Thu 17 June 2010, 02:18
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Nice progress!

That trolley jack reminds me of our table moving method.
Old Tue 22 June 2010, 19:00
timberlinemd

Arizona
United States of America
The Computer has taken control!

I have mounted the motors and taken the beast for a test drive. Did some jogging and then ran the 'roadrunner' program to see what it looks like with a computer in control. This is all done without the router turning. Very nice!!

Question: It is 101 degrees F (38C) ambeint. After some jogging and running the 'roadrunner' program motor tempetures at the housing was 122F (50C). My motors are the PK296A2A-SG7.2, wired unipolar. Is this normal?

Also, I need only reverse polarity on only one of the 'A' or 'B' coils to change motor rotation, correct?
Old Tue 22 June 2010, 21:22
timberlinemd

Arizona
United States of America
I searched the forum and found all the answers to may questions
Old Wed 23 June 2010, 04:53
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Cool !!! Sounds like you are making great progress!!!
Old Thu 07 October 2010, 18:58
timberlinemd

Arizona
United States of America
Finished Painting!

It has been a few months since my last post. The weather here has finally dropped below the 100-degree mark. Most of July was at 110 degrees (43c). August was mostly 105 degrees (40.5c). And September mostly just above 100 degrees (38c). Not very good for painting outside.
Today it was only 87 degrees (30.5c). Perfect!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paint3.jpg (289.1 KB, 980 views)
File Type: jpg Paint15.jpg (268.8 KB, 981 views)
File Type: jpg Paint12.jpg (291.5 KB, 982 views)
Old Fri 08 October 2010, 16:26
timberlinemd

Arizona
United States of America
MechMate Contol Center ready for action!

Here are some more pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ControlCenter1.jpg (232.4 KB, 938 views)
File Type: jpg ControlCenter2.jpg (231.3 KB, 935 views)
Old Sat 09 October 2010, 11:46
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
One thing about the dry sunshine area where you live....NICE CLEAR PICTURES.....looking good
Old Sat 09 October 2010, 13:04
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
....HEY LOOK, a homage' to Gerald! There's a bin in the background.

Nice work

BTW, Steve it looks like you know your tools. A Beismeyer fence on the table saw...maybe an overarm router in the distance....nice home shop.
Old Sat 09 October 2010, 14:45
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
That "cart" was the first thing I noticed!
Old Sat 09 October 2010, 15:30
timberlinemd

Arizona
United States of America
Homage

Sean,
The 'homage' to Gerald is the decals provided by Mike AKA 'MetalHead' attached to my machine. I will stamp the serial number between the two flags after I'm able to do my first cuts.

It even glows in the dark!

PS. The machine in the backround is a feeder for the 7-1/2hp 3ph shaper I use to make doors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Homage.jpg (277.6 KB, 886 views)
File Type: jpg Homage2.jpg (194.4 KB, 881 views)
Old Sat 09 October 2010, 15:34
timberlinemd

Arizona
United States of America
Spoil Board

Can anyone tell me if now would be the oppertune time to glue down the spoil board?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Decal1.jpg (272.3 KB, 879 views)
File Type: jpg Decal2.jpg (269.9 KB, 881 views)
File Type: jpg Decal3.jpg (273.4 KB, 872 views)
Old Sat 09 October 2010, 16:37
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
I have read a Notched Trowel works good. I think Gerald is the one who recommended that but I could be wrong.

Edit: I was right here is the thread http://mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1422
Old Mon 18 October 2010, 20:47
timberlinemd

Arizona
United States of America
Almost Ready!

I finished the wiring today and started to look into the dust collection system. Tomorrow I think I will be ready for a test drive. Then on to the final adjustments of the X,Y,Z. If I can get the 'roadrunner' cut, I will post tommorrow. That will qualify me for a serial number, right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Final2.jpg (264.8 KB, 780 views)
File Type: jpg Final3.jpg (275.1 KB, 768 views)
File Type: jpg Final4.jpg (240.1 KB, 766 views)
File Type: jpg Final5.jpg (281.0 KB, 768 views)
File Type: jpg Final6.jpg (253.7 KB, 763 views)
File Type: jpg Final1.jpg (242.3 KB, 753 views)
File Type: jpg Final7.jpg (251.4 KB, 756 views)
File Type: jpg Final8.jpg (246.9 KB, 751 views)
File Type: jpg Final9.jpg (251.1 KB, 749 views)
File Type: jpg Final10.jpg (234.8 KB, 737 views)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read