MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 06 April 2010, 18:03
cleyte
Just call me: Clayton #106

Bishop's Falls, Newfoundland
Canada
First Project Completed! #106 - NL Canada

Hi to all Mechmate forum members.

My name is Clayton and I live in Bishop's Falls, Newfoundland, Canada. I have been a "silent" member of the "Mechmate family" since November and from the first day that I discovered the machine, I was hooked. I knew at that very moment that I would be building a MechMate. Thanks to Gerald for an incredible design and to all contributors who have helped ease the fabrication for others. I will be walking in a "well beaten path" as I build my MM.

I am trades teacher (Residential Construction, Design and Fabrication, Electricity) at a local high school. My evenings and weekends are spent building kitchen/bath cabinets. My wife, Caroline, is also a teacher (Adult Education) and we have one child, Ashley, who just graduated as a Registered Nurse.

For the past few months I have been reading practically everthing that has been written by other members. As said many times, the forum is the plan. At first glance, the information is overwhelming. I had a tendency to follow ongoing discussions before having a firm grasp of the build as a whole. After a short while I began to see the underlying structure. The information is categorized according to building stages and major issues. It was there that I focussed my initial attention. I am now able "to see the forest for the trees".

Now that I have stepped out of the shadows, I hope that my build and contributions will be to the benefit of the group. I will certainly need the help and advice of others.

Clayton
Old Tue 06 April 2010, 21:20
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Clayton. Hope your build goes well.
Say hi to Glenda for me.
Old Tue 06 April 2010, 21:59
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome !!!
Old Wed 07 April 2010, 04:26
cleyte

Canada
Thanks Heath.

The bent parts you provided are of excellent quality. I will say hi to Glenda for you when I see her.

Thanks Mike,

I am enjoying everthing this forum has to offer.

Clayton
Old Wed 07 April 2010, 05:57
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Clayton, Welcom « in the day light »

Sorry to admit, by mistake I have deleted your PM after advising I’d reply on a later date as I was over my head & missing time !
If I remember part of it correctly, one thing you’re seeking for, is supplier contact in Canada !?
All my electro component came mostly from US suppliers talked & recommended by others experience in this Forum. ( IE : PMDX, AutomationDirect, FactoryMation, Markertek for XLR….and on). On you may want to look at since they have some locations here in Canada but not certain if some in your region, is Newark…I personly did not deal with them, but worth looking at their web site !

Well, wishing you good luck with you build & project, and as you discover, reading lot’S from this forum is the KEY secret ingredient.
BUT, as I & other realize soon enough, we know we have read it somewhere, just can’t find the needed info when you need it as there is soooo much of it. Then, as I & other aften do, ask us from you thread come to your rescue, and someone will gladly point you were needed !!

Another KEY thing many are in NEED FOR…..photos my friend, PHOTOS as you go on…..

Amicalement, Robert
Old Wed 07 April 2010, 08:16
cleyte

Canada
Hi Robert.

I have put together an order to Igus (through the same rep for you area) and also to Factorymation. I have not completed the order because I am still researching.

Another request I had was concerning your circuit drawing. I attempted to zoom in and follow the logic but the quaility is poor. I notice that others have posted in PDF format which allows for enlarged views while retaining picture quality. Can you repost the image in a format that would permit "zooming"?

Thanks, Clayton
Old Sat 17 April 2010, 05:21
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Where did you purchase the pushbutton boxes on your machine?

Hi Clayton,
Bought those localy at some supply store !
Old Tue 27 April 2010, 10:37
cleyte

Canada
Neutrik connectors and shielding

I am considering using Neutrik connectors at the control box and motors. I have seen it done by several members here and the outcome looks very professional.

I have a question regarding maintaining continuity of the cable shield at the control box. Does the body of the connector get attached to the shield when a 4 core connector is used? Could I use a 5 core connector and use one pin for the sheild?

Please advise.

Clayton
Old Fri 28 May 2010, 17:43
cleyte

Canada
Skate roller

I am been giving some thought to the upcoming rail grinding. To avoid the grooves that gets worn into the bolts and the possibly into the referencing surface on the rails, I have seen some builders install bearings.

In my search for something "simpler", I wonder if a transfer ball roller could work. This version has an 8mm stud that could be adjusted to control height.

The unit is available at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stud-Mount-Ball-...item5d21eb10f1

Clayton
Attached Images
File Type: gif x4.gif (13.2 KB, 1188 views)
Old Fri 28 May 2010, 17:47
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Hi,

Someone on the forums has used this method on a jig for the cutting of the rails, I do remember seeing some photos of his setup, I just cannot remember which thread or who's build it was. They did appear to work for him so should be all good.

Good luck!!

Cheers
Tony.
Old Fri 28 May 2010, 17:53
cleyte

Canada
Hi Tony,

I have seen transfer rollers used to reduce friction when moving the grinder back and forth to cut down the angle to the correct height. However, I have not seen them used to grind the rails. I am considering using two of them (instead of the hardened bolts) and have them ride on top of the rail.

Clayton
Old Fri 28 May 2010, 23:07
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
I think Alan_C used them. Post #45

Check this http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...3&postcount=45

Last edited by Kobus_Joubert; Fri 28 May 2010 at 23:12..
Old Mon 04 April 2011, 15:10
cleyte

Canada
Drawings

Hi everyone,

My build has started. I have already completed much of the base table and will post pictures as soon as I can. In the meantime, I have attached three CAD drawings of my machine. Others may find them useful. Keep in mind that I am using I beam rather than C channel for the main beams and legs.

cleyte side view.DXF

cleyte front view.DXF

cleyte top view.DXF
Old Mon 04 April 2011, 18:07
isladelobos
Just call me: Ros

Canary Islands
Spain
Send a message via MSN to isladelobos Send a message via Yahoo to isladelobos
Yeah Clayton.

Im following the same base table design. Thanks for the Dxf's.
It is like Buibui's table.

Last edited by isladelobos; Mon 04 April 2011 at 18:34..
Old Mon 04 April 2011, 18:37
cleyte

Canada
Hi Ros,

Yes, Buibui's table has been a great influence. I have left an opening in the front approx. 50" so I can store sheet goods underneath. I am in the process of adding gussett plates to prevent/reduce movement.
Old Wed 06 April 2011, 10:08
HomeMadeCnc
Just call me: Tim

Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Nice to see folks on the rock are interested! Keep going its the best tool in my shop!

Tim
Old Thu 12 May 2011, 16:35
cleyte

Canada
Fear Not The Grinding Of the Rails

I thought it would be best to begin my build with the item that was giving me great concern. I knew that purchasing v rails was an option (allbeit expensive) but I also wanted the experience of creating them myself.

I first set up a work area using my x beams, saw horses and some 5/8" melamine coated particle board.

mechmate railcut1.jpg

I then attached the ginder and skate base to a another piece of melamine. As we all know, melamine coated sheets can slide over each other quite easily. The feet that I will use later, served as handles.

mechmate grinder1.jpg

The setup worked nearly as well as a panel crafter!!! I had the four rails ( two 14' and two 8') cut down in a few hours. I purchased 2 1/2" x 2 1\2" rails and could only use a portion of the cutting disk before the front of the skate made contact. My only mistake - in my haste to get going I forgot to guard the cutting wheel. A guard, shown above, was fabricated using a piece of dywall corner.

mechmate glove.jpg

A few passes with a grinding wheel created the final height.

mechmate rail top grind.jpg

I then turned my attention to creating the bevels on top of the rail. Not wanting a bolt to rub on the top of the rail, I created a simple guide bearing setup. I cut two small pieces of flat stock, created a slot in each with my chop saw, cut a bolt in half and welded the ends to the plate to mount the bearings. It was done in about 30 minutes.

mechmate bevel setup.jpg

mechmate bevel setup2.jpg

This setup requires that you have extra rail at the ends as the bearing are farther from the disk than the bolts.

With the rails done, it was time for the z slide. I paid over $100 for 3 feet of hardened ground plate. I did not want to mess this up but the rail grinding experience allowed me to go on.

I cut two pieces of 1/4" plate to place at each end to let the bearings run past the ends of the z plate. To ensure all remained straight, I clamped it all to some lefft over rail.

mechmate z plate bevel.jpg

The final product :

mechmate z plate bevel 2.jpg

With a little fine sanding with 400 grit paper and a sanding block, the rails are better than I could have imagined. I am pleased to say the least. While I did not do it all in one setting, I spent approx. 12 hours on the task.

The skate is worth its weight in golden v rail!!!

Thanks Gerald and others.

Last edited by cleyte; Thu 12 May 2011 at 16:39..
Old Thu 12 May 2011, 16:42
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Ahhh. a very nice chronograph of rail grinding. Your done, but a quicker way of getting the V profile is to use 36 grit / then 80 grit sandpaper with a rigid backing plate. The sandpaper doesn't glaze like the grinding disks. But, it appears you had the right skew angle and have perfect results.

Awesome.

Sean
Old Mon 16 May 2011, 13:00
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Glad to see your still in this…nice progress…..
Keep in those follow ups !
Hey…Congrats !!
Later…. Robert
Old Wed 24 April 2013, 19:27
cleyte

Canada
Mechmate for Newfoundland comes to life!!!!

Hi all.

I could wait no longer. My machine is alive and cutting. There are a few details that need some tidying up but a paying job required that I get things done in a hurry.

Here she is ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0229.JPG (107.6 KB, 697 views)
Old Wed 24 April 2013, 19:30
cleyte

Canada
The paying job I mentioned is a range hood cover in an existing kitchen. Here is the front of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0231.JPG (79.9 KB, 692 views)
Old Wed 24 April 2013, 20:32
HomeMadeCnc
Just call me: Tim

Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Nice Job.
Cheers
Old Wed 24 April 2013, 20:38
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
sweet. looks like a serial number is in order.
Old Wed 24 April 2013, 20:49
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Nice Job Clayton!
Sounds like serial number time!
Old Wed 24 April 2013, 21:03
cleyte

Canada
Thanks everyone.

@Heath: Its nice to hear from you at this point in my build. If you can recall, my build started quite awhile ago with a few shipments that arrived with your help. It was much appreciated.

Clayton
Old Wed 24 April 2013, 21:11
domino11

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Clayton,
I remember quite well. Say Hi to Glenda for me!
Old Thu 25 April 2013, 04:57
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Congrats Glad to see you make $$$ already !!!

You get #106
Old Thu 25 April 2013, 05:26
cleyte

Canada
Thanks Mike,

#106 - Will have to get that serial number on vinyl and place it on my machine.

As you can see from the photo, the cables to the z-slide are being supported by a wooden dowel. I did not have enough of the IGUS chain but I have it on order. Also, you can see my not-so-effective dust extraction on the table in the background.

Clayton
Old Thu 25 April 2013, 14:55
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Updated Builder's Log

Clayton,

Here's the Updated Builder's Log with your entry added. Please provide the dimensions of your MechMate for the Builder's Log.
Old Thu 25 April 2013, 19:59
cleyte

Canada
Hi John,

My machine is 120" x 60". Its very rewarding to get to this point and see the entry in the table.

Thanks,
Clayton

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read