MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 11 September 2012, 08:49
lunaj76
Just call me: Justin #24

Littleton, (Colorado)
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to lunaj76
very interesting
Old Tue 09 October 2012, 16:38
pdicocco
Just call me: Paolo

Rome
Italy
Ciao Sergio
ti ho PM perche' sono di Roma e se puoi mi farebbe piacere avere un aiuto a costruirmi una MM. Per favore contattami.
Congratulazioni per il lavoro che hai fatto.
Paolo
Old Tue 16 July 2013, 05:45
silverdog
Just call me: Sergio #70

Rome
Italy
Maker Faire in Rome

Well ... I am pleased to inform the MechMate community that the chaise longue "Anathemic" has been selected to partecipate at the european Maker Faire in Rome the next 3-6 Oct.
The chaise longue was entirely made with the MechMate !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anathemic Blu 01picc.jpg (69.2 KB, 1028 views)
File Type: jpg Anathemic LillyRed 01picc.jpg (72.7 KB, 1026 views)
Old Tue 16 July 2013, 06:53
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Nice job Sergio! Is that Valchromat?
Old Tue 16 July 2013, 07:25
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Beautiful and congrats on the maker fair!
Old Tue 16 July 2013, 10:39
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Sergio,

Nice job on the chair. Nice design.
Old Tue 16 July 2013, 12:55
Andrew_standen
Just call me: Andrew #109

Dorset
United Kingdom
Nice work on the chair, looks good
Old Tue 16 July 2013, 18:28
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Thanks all, yes Gerald is valchromat we ( me mechmate operator :-), and Marco the chair designer ) made something like 8 or 9 different colour cominations ...
Old Wed 17 July 2013, 03:23
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Gerald, have you any program to visit Italy particulary Rome in the close future ? I don't know .... maybe the first week of october ?
I hope it would not disturb you if your creature will be one of the atractions of the Maker Faire in Rome ....
Old Wed 17 July 2013, 23:15
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Sergio, I won't be in Europe this year, as far as I know at the moment. But, plans might change if there are enough reasons . . .
Old Thu 18 July 2013, 06:31
zumergido
Just call me: Fernando

BS AS
Argentina
nice work... iam intrigue on this valchromat material.. is colored mdf? the valchromat home site says they are fibers.. not more.

forza italia...
Old Thu 18 July 2013, 07:14
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Yes, colored MDF
Old Thu 18 July 2013, 14:38
silverdog

Rome
Italy
A new project....

Things are moving Mechmate is (partially) moving.
I have been invited to the Maker Faire ( http://www.makerfairerome.eu/en/ ) with my Mechmate, the idea is to produce (and build) a Wikihouse live with the Machmate. 200 thousand people are expected to visit the event ... and the Mechmate it's something that will not be unnoticed ... at least for the dimensions
The Mechmate will be hosted in the Fablab Rome stand ( Fablab Rome is going to be launched very soon with the support of italian institutions).
Instead of moving the whole Mechmate I proposed to build a new base table because the cost of transport of the whole machine is comparable with building a new base, and "add" all the moving parts and electronic of my Mechmate. The new base will be partially bolted to permit DIY transport and at the end of the show it will be moved to the Fablab Rome where will be used to start a new Mechmate, built by fabbers with my supervision and phisical help, there is also the idea of doing a full documentation of how it will be built .... all things are now carried on by the enthousiasm of some people, Alessandro Ranellucci ( http://slic3r.org/blog ), Costantino Bongiorno (maker recruiter at Arduino & Maker Faire Rome )... and me
I personally think that having Gerald as a VIP at the conference would be great, but at the moment it's just my mind's fantasy .... the reality is that tomorrow I have to ask some quotations for the metal and accessory for the base table, give them to Alessandro who will ask to the Fablab's sponsors ....
Things moves quickly ... things change quickly ... at the moment we have a beautifull project, I have a beautifull house, some bottles of wines ... let's see how things grow !
Old Thu 18 July 2013, 14:51
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
I think Gerald as a VIP is a great idea....
Old Thu 18 July 2013, 23:28
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
If I was invited as a VIP, I definitely would not attend. Sorry, but I can't handle personal attention, except from my wife.
Old Mon 14 July 2014, 11:25
akelemen
Just call me: Andras

Stäfa
Switzerland
Sergio, I am planning to build a MM in Hungary. May I ask you where did you order the laser cut and bent parts?

Many thanks,
Andras
Old Wed 04 March 2015, 09:50
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Gentle Giant .... milling PCB

I am attendig M.I.T. Fab Academy " http://www.fabacademy.org/ " in FabLab SpqWork in Rome ... our small CNC router broke, I needed to mill some PCB ( electronic printed circuit board) something like 24x32mm !! oh, with a 1/64 inch end-mill, somthing like 0.39 mm .... So I decided to test the limit of the Mechmate on very very small work :-)
I think that I can not hide my boredom anymore if someone is going to talk about precision
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gentlegiant2.jpg (42.7 KB, 621 views)
File Type: jpg gentlegiant3.jpg (32.4 KB, 621 views)
File Type: jpg gentlegiant4.jpg (48.3 KB, 622 views)
Old Wed 04 March 2015, 13:27
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Wow!!!
Old Wed 04 March 2015, 14:30
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Sorry, forgot some data:
cut speed 100mm/min
Plunge 80mm/min
very slow ... but I was afraid to broke the 1/64 inch end mill :-)
Old Fri 29 May 2015, 03:33
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
I bet. I only had available a 1/32" 2 flute end mill when I cut my circuit boards. I ran mine at 24000 rpm, 10 IPM (254mm/min) plunge was the same as I ramped in on a distance and not angle. Awesome job Sergio
Old Fri 29 May 2015, 06:58
zumergido
Just call me: Fernando

BS AS
Argentina
iam a electronic hobbiest and still dont get why the use of a cnc instead of toner transfer.
well maybe you dont have a laser printer but it cost less then 100uss. and the paper cost almost nothing. some glossy 120g laser paper.

i love those anathemic chairs... and yes.... the mechmate have a great resolution.
Old Fri 29 May 2015, 07:04
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Just to prove we could. I made many pcb in college with photosensitive clad. Much cooler to watch the Mate do it. Plus I have no need for a laser printer and why spend 100 when you can spend 7. Just my opinion.
Old Sat 30 May 2015, 01:47
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Fernando,
There is a very good reason to not use tone transfer and chemical erosion ... it's absolutely forbidden by M.I.T. prof. Neil Gershenfeld, our teacher in the Fab Academy.
The reason why it's mandatory not to use chemical process is because it's a very nasty enviroment poison and if you don't treat your waste in a safe manner (and it's not possible for hobbiest) there are serious risk to enviroment damage ... when we need to prototype the mill procedure it's ok ... if we need then a production it's much easier to have the circuit made by a service .... We understood that lesson and we agree with prof Gershenfeld to avoid any enviromental risk.
Old Tue 10 May 2016, 14:58
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Having istalled a new controller ethernet board ( the UC400eth ) I tested an insane speed of 30000 mm/min (1200 inch/min ) on my MechMate .... my everyday rapids are a more conservative16000 mm/min ....

https://youtu.be/qObm2jiZQVU
Old Tue 10 May 2016, 15:25
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Are you using Mach 4 or the UC software?
Old Wed 11 May 2016, 00:06
silverdog

Rome
Italy
I used Mach3 and the UCCNC software but I am migrating to the latter ... I already started working with UCcnc, I just need to configure thr joypad plugin and the laser pointer offset ...
Old Sun 19 June 2016, 11:32
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Sergio,

Just wondering if you made the switch permanent and how you are liking the software. About to pull the trigger on purchasing hardware and software.
Old Mon 20 June 2016, 02:56
silverdog

Rome
Italy
New Ethernet Controller and software

Ciao Russell,
Yes the switch is permanent :-). I'm happy with this software, it's very easy and powerfull ... I would like to make a side by side comparison but very little time at the moment.
It worked for many hours now, I still miss some configuration (laser pointer and z zero ... ) because I was very short of time. The biggest advantage of mach3 is the huge community ... you find all the info you need and I worked with it for years now. But the new hardware (UC400ethernet) is absolutely great. I have a very little problem with the software (I think it just need to reinstall), it does not save my joypad config (it did it at the start) so each time (once or two in a day) I start the program I have to set some values ... but I didn't tried any solution at the moment.
In a few word I am very happy, the price is fair (I payed 40 euro the soft and 120 the hardware).
The machine runs faster. I did some intricate cut and the results are much better than mach3, with no rounded corners (the CV is managed better) but in those cases the time taken to cut is longer.
Both UCCNC and mach3 can be installed on the same PC and yes you can use any computer you like to drive the MechMate ( I used my laptop :-) ).

Last edited by silverdog; Mon 20 June 2016 at 03:00.. Reason: orthography :-)
Old Mon 20 June 2016, 03:23
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Dismantling a welded MechMate

Ciao,
Time to move ande time to change :-)
My MechMate had traveled a lot those years considering also two Makerfaires (were I built a bolted base which unfortunately and naively it's not in my possession) ...
Each time I moved the base table it was a nightmare because is slightly largher than most of the trucks ... so I decided to cut my base table to transform it in a bolted base !
With the opportunity I will renew and repaint everything and much important I will finally add the 4th axis - indexer :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MechMate Cutting.jpg (65.3 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg Dismantled MechMate.jpg (69.9 KB, 234 views)
Old Mon 20 June 2016, 03:41
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Here are the preliminary idea for the indexer.
It will be bolted (and removable) at the front end of the Mechmate, with a max diameter of 400mm and a lenght close to the Y axis capability ...
If you feel something is wrong in the structure idea, please let me know :-)
I probably use a chuck and tailstock commercially available ( http://www.ebay.it/itm/CNC-Router-Ro...gAAOxy3zNShh1N )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MechMate Indexer 01.JPG (37.4 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg MechMate Indexer 02.JPG (54.4 KB, 234 views)

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read