MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 05 December 2010, 18:43
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Congrats Sergio!
Old Sun 05 December 2010, 19:05
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Congrats on your build !!! You get #70
Old Mon 06 December 2010, 09:35
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Que Bella! Sergio

Welcome to the number club.
Old Wed 08 December 2010, 05:57
cortatudo
Just call me: cortatudo

torres vedras
Portugal
Hello Sergio, my name is Lucas (-cortatudo-nik name of mechmate cortatudo-forum).

I live in Portugal and I'm starting to build my mechmate. Already have laser parts and electrical parts and electronics.

But I can not find here in Portugal or the stepper motors, or the rollers. could you help me please?

Thank you.

my contact is:
luisant.lucas@gmail.com
Old Wed 08 December 2010, 22:23
silverdog
Just call me: Sergio #70

Rome
Italy
Ciao Lucas,
For the motors I contacted directly Oriental Motor (both in Italy and UK ) the sold me the motor for about 250 € each. The price was about the same of what you are going to spend buying them from USA when you add custom fee and expedition.
For the roller I took the easy way :-) .... bought from http://www.superiorbearing.com/docs/...ls_wheels.html (don't forghet the bushing: http://www.superiorbearing.com/docs/..._bushings.html).
ciao
Old Thu 09 December 2010, 06:05
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Builder's Log Update

Sergio,

Congratulations on Serial #70. We appreciate your sharing some "pointers" about your build for future (and maybe current) MechMate builders.

Here is the Updated Builder's Log.

Please review your entry and provide the "cutting dimensions" for the Builder's Log. If you would like to make any changes to your entry let me know by reply to this thread or a PM.
Old Thu 09 December 2010, 11:44
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Thank to all for the compliments and to many for the incredible support and inspiration. Completing this project was an important growing up step in my life.
I will try to document my built very soon .... if I succeed in the construction with no cnc nor mechanical experience and no esoteric equipment .... everybody can do it (thanks to Gerald for the great project)!
Ciao
P.S. :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaXQr7kp0yg
Old Thu 09 December 2010, 11:55
silverdog

Rome
Italy
John, here some specifications: cutting lenght: 2600 mm x 1650mm (but table limited to 2200 to leave space for a 4th rotary axis and a vertical clamp to allow dovetails mortasing jointing on the side of the pannels .... at the moment just a wish :-) )
ciao
Old Sat 11 December 2010, 07:09
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Updated Builder's Log

Thanks Sergio.

I modified your entry...here.

I'm anxious to see your 4th rotary axis. Keep us posted.
Old Mon 11 June 2012, 11:34
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Some vcarving and a very beautifull chaise longue ...

Well, some carving on solid wood (pine) and the method I used to block the piece (it was a nightmare to understand how to block the piece untill I had the idea, I always used to block the pieces from the top)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tre cancelli picc.jpg (87.2 KB, 1119 views)
File Type: jpg retaining picc.jpg (78.4 KB, 1113 views)
Old Mon 11 June 2012, 11:35
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Some vcarving and a very beautifull chaise longue ...2

A sign ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tashidelek picc.jpg (71.2 KB, 1152 views)
Old Mon 11 June 2012, 11:43
silverdog

Rome
Italy
.... and finally ...

The Chaise Longue prototype "Anathemic" designed by Architect Marco Tonci (the one in the picture with his creature)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anathemic 01 piccola.jpg (74.3 KB, 1151 views)
File Type: jpg Anathemic with M picc.jpg (104.1 KB, 1155 views)
Old Mon 11 June 2012, 13:12
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Good stuff!
Old Mon 11 June 2012, 16:20
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Nice Job on both but that Lounge is SUPERB!!!! Is there a set of plans for that or did you copy from the pictures. Either way I looks sleek and very comfortable.
Old Mon 11 June 2012, 16:30
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
From what material did you cut the Lounge?
Old Mon 11 June 2012, 18:05
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Russell, I took both the pictures (one in a photo studio and the other was in my house) the lounge is made on my mechmate and the material is Valchromat (Danilo). The architect (near the lounge) came to me with an autocad file of the +- 120 pieces.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anathemic 2.jpg (75.3 KB, 1132 views)
Old Mon 11 June 2012, 23:14
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
nice!
Old Tue 12 June 2012, 01:48
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennie View Post
nice!
Thank you Hennie, but I'm only the piano player ... well Mechmate player
Old Tue 12 June 2012, 04:42
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
What ever - great designer and great mechmater!
Old Tue 12 June 2012, 09:17
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Thanks Irfan
Old Tue 12 June 2012, 09:23
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
One question, How do you seal the inside of the gaps once the chair is assembled
Old Tue 12 June 2012, 12:01
silverdog

Rome
Italy
No sealing, the center part is free (you can se the light passing trough). It's glued on the top, the bottom and the sides where you see the clamps (clamp on one side not present in the picture)
Old Wed 13 June 2012, 04:39
jehayes
Just call me: Joe #53

Whidbey Island, Washington
United States of America
Sergio, thanks for the great photos and ideas. Good work.
Old Sat 08 September 2012, 07:09
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Started making windows with the mechmate ...

Well maybe a cnc machine is not the first thing to use for making straight windows .... but once you have a jiig to stop the wood in the zero position it's not so bad ... much better than anything else I tried unless you have the proper shaper cutter (which cost for european style windows 3000-5000 euros for one tipe of window).

a photo of the jiig and a foto of the "copy" tenon jiig (inspired by woodgears.ca)

and of course the Mechmate working !! :-)

http://youtu.be/vm1xNcyh_6M

p.s.
if anybody is interessed I have a skechup file with all my effort to draws the windows ... could be a strarting poin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tenonatrice 3.jpg (60.1 KB, 941 views)
File Type: jpg Jiig Infissi.jpg (61.3 KB, 950 views)
File Type: jpg Infissi Incastri Generale 02.jpg (44.4 KB, 947 views)
Old Sat 08 September 2012, 12:44
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
That looks great Sergio, it would be good to see that sketchup file.
Old Sat 08 September 2012, 15:44
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Ciao Alan,
It has been difficoult to me understanding all the process to profiling and tenoning of a tipical european window, so if I can save a little time to others ... or just for curiosity ...
Even if our machine can't be competitive with a windows production machine, I think it has a big advantage: you can make many different tipe of profiles, so if your window is small you can do a thinner profile, if it's a big window you can do a more robust profile ... specialized windows makers (at least in italy) make just one profile for every dimension. this is not so good on smaller windows because you loose a lot of light. (I considered just straight windows ... if we consider windows with particular shapes our Mechmate can be very competitive !)
Attached Files
File Type: zip European Window skp.zip (80.1 KB, 77 views)
Old Sat 08 September 2012, 16:06
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
Thanks Sergio, I have to make some windows for an extension I am putting on my house. I have some old teak (from an old railway coach) that I want to use.

The quality and style of our windows available locally are way below the standard that you guys can get in Europe (mind you we dont have the same climatic coditions to deal with, but the energy saving benefits cant be ignored) We have a saying that our windows are like sticks and a piece of glass in a hole in the wall and European windows are like fine furniture.

Last edited by Alan_c; Sat 08 September 2012 at 16:07.. Reason: typo
Old Sat 08 September 2012, 19:54
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Hi Sergio

Very nice work.
The pine log round is very creative.

As you are using an alloy hold down jig for the windows you probably could set the x and y with your Z touch off plate.
Put the plate on the jig and have the machine jog itself over to make the contact.
Plenty of the Mach3 screen sets have an X and Y coordinates setting feature if that is the machine controller software you are using.
This should make it easy and repeatable to set the coordinates again at the start of a new day.

Regards
Ross
Old Sun 09 September 2012, 01:15
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Ciao Alan, about the window on the sketchup file, it use a very precise mechanics ( http://www.maico.com/content.asp?L=3&idMen=158 ) or ( http://www.agb.it/eng/catalogo_hardware-for-windows/ ) and has two open options: classic from one side to the other, and "vasistas", just turning the handle 90° or 180°.Use a double glass (can be also triple). In my skp file on the angle view I profiled also 1 rubber gasket groove (the gasket is 16x4 mm), but it'possible to modify the file for 2. The model I did have to be completed with some holes for the hinges and maybe I forgot something ( I will udate ASAP ) but the profile and joint dimension are tested. If you have any doubt just ask I already answered to all the questions to myself :-) (and made a lot of test and .. errors ).
Well in the picture you can see the mechanism .... but yes it's on an horrible alluminium frame
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PAnt0002.JPG (21.6 KB, 927 views)
File Type: jpg PAnt0003.JPG (20.7 KB, 921 views)

Last edited by silverdog; Sun 09 September 2012 at 01:26..
Old Sun 09 September 2012, 01:23
silverdog

Rome
Italy
Ciao Ross,
Thans for the idea did not think that, but it's very usefull and more precise than use my cross-hair laser pointer (which it's nos so bad anyway ... but your way is much better. The jiig can be removed and repositioned in the exactly the same place, I used some reference pins on the bottom and on the Mechmate boar and with your implementation the work will be easier.
thanks

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read