MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 26 November 2009, 20:01
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Hi Tony,

Worried…. We all go through this… Yep, you’re on the right “track” with your math ….
X = Your X length + 185 and for Y = your Y distance + 155 !

Now for Z, have a look at this work I did, trying to explain fully how to figure your Z !
Enjoy, Amicalement, Robert
Old Thu 26 November 2009, 20:03
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Drawing M2 10 120 or M2 10 124
Old Thu 26 November 2009, 20:36
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Hi,

Thanks guys, so I am all good with the X & Y I have read through your link Robert and I'm afraid I still do not get it.
My X beams are 180mm we will be mostly cutting sheet with nothing too bulky in height, but do not want to restrict our cutting height too much either.
I have referred to the drawings M2 10 120 & M2 10 124 am I better sticking with the M2 10 120 for stronger better cutting and how do I work out what the max cutting thickness would be going with the 250mm Z Rack.

I knew I should have stuck to working with timber

Cheers
Tony
Old Thu 26 November 2009, 21:54
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Tony, the standard MechMate drawings allow you to build a choice of two z-slide assemblies; either 10 40 000 A (250mm) or 10 40 014 A (350mm). That is the choice that you have to make, and the rack length follows from that.

Originally, only the 250mm was offered, but a lot of guys wanted to cut thick soft material. So, the 350 option was added with a lot of cautions about its ability to cut thin hard material. A discussion about that is at 350mm [14"] Extended Z-Slide - what does it mean?
Old Thu 26 November 2009, 22:44
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Thanks Gerald,

Sounds like the 250mm one will do the job and provide better cutting on the thinner type boards.

Cheers
Tony.
Old Thu 03 December 2009, 05:45
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Hi All,

As Paul (skippy) has the racks and pinions underway, I thought I had better get busy with the cutting & Grinding discs. Ordered 50 of each and should be here in a day or two. They are also supposed to be of INOX quality.

Link to where I got them.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/THIN-CUTTING-...item1c0e676175

Cheers
Tony.
Old Mon 18 January 2010, 02:15
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
UPDATE!!

I am still here, haha!! and still collecting bits and pieces for the build.
Spindle and mount arrived thx to Skippy, Rack and pinions have arrived thx to surfcnc, although we have a small issue with the pinions but we are working on it hey Ross
Bought the bearings, bolts, nuts and washers from a couple of local shops today for the skate so getting closer to slicing up those angles
Also ordered my 5 x Geckos on the weekend so hopefully they should be here in another few days.
Still lots to get but getting there.

Hopefully the build will progress at blinding speed once we eventually start

Cheers
Tony.
Old Tue 19 January 2010, 00:56
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
UPDATE!!

Photo of the cutting discs I bought through Ebay, certainly look the part lets hope they cut and grind ok.

Spindle, VFD and spindle mount thanks to Paul for our little group buy(Skippy)

Closer shot of the spindle

Bearings, bolts, nuts and washers for the skate.

And last but not least the Gecko's

Next on the list is the following
4 x PMDX-125 Multi-Mode Breakout Board (2 for skippy & 2 for me)
2 x PMDX-107 Isolated Speed Control (1 for skippy and 1 for me)

Cheers
Tony.
Old Tue 19 January 2010, 04:56
skippy
Just call me: Paul #72

Queensland
Australia
Tony
Looking good! Where is my gecko key ring?

Regards
Paul
Old Tue 19 January 2010, 05:00
skippy

Queensland
Australia
I thought the gecko keyring was was going to open bottles as well. The only way I can see that it does it is between the hind leg and the tail all depending of what it is made of.

Regards

Paul
Old Tue 19 January 2010, 05:02
MattyZee
Just call me: Matt

Adelaide
Australia
Nice progress Tony.
One query with your last post, why are you buying two PMDX-125's each? Do you plan on having one spare?
Also, if you want to save some money i have written a plugin for Mach3 to control those Huanyang VFD's. It controls speed and displays actual speed and current draw. All you need is a USB to RS485 converter (~$30 on ebay).
Old Tue 19 January 2010, 05:12
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Gecko does not include the gifts for export orders because it causes Customs problems on the receiving end.
Old Tue 19 January 2010, 05:14
MattyZee

Adelaide
Australia
I've got 3 keyrings, from each of my orders over the years (including last year). I think its only the soft toys they don't shipo on export orders. the keyring's are easier to hide....
Old Tue 19 January 2010, 05:46
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyZee View Post
Nice progress Tony.
One query with your last post, why are you buying two PMDX-125's each? Do you plan on having one spare?
Also, if you want to save some money i have written a plugin for Mach3 to control those Huanyang VFD's. It controls speed and displays actual speed and current draw. All you need is a USB to RS485 converter (~$30 on ebay).
Hi Matt,

Hows things mate?? we are planning on adding a fifth motor for an indexer hence the 2 x Bob's. I think Skippy is going to PM you re your plugin.

Cheers
Tony.
Old Tue 19 January 2010, 14:49
MattyZee

Adelaide
Australia
I thought the PMDX-125's can handle two parallel ports, so you should have plenty of options for connecting the 4th axis connections. To quote the PMDX website "Supports 4 additional high speed outputs using a second port or the SmoothStepper" i.e. connect you 4 main motors to J1 -J4 and the 4th Axis to J5
Haven't done this myself, just thinking it might save you $US164

Are you planning on using a smoothstepper?
Old Tue 19 January 2010, 15:14
MattyZee

Adelaide
Australia
Have a read of section 2.3 of the manual Looks like you can connect a 5th axis to a single PMDX-125.
Old Thu 21 January 2010, 02:59
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
This should make all the holes to be drilled a little bit easier!!

Waiting on my cold cutting saw to arrive as well, should make cutting all the angles on the braces and trimming to exact size a little easier.

Cheers
Tony.
Old Thu 21 January 2010, 03:10
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Nice piece of equipment. I like the big handle on the side.
Old Thu 21 January 2010, 03:23
skippy

Queensland
Australia
Now that's why you wasn't home today.
Old Thu 21 January 2010, 04:15
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
There should be quit a bit of lifting required.
I use this instead.
Drilling the Main Channel.jpg

Small, 13mm chuck with 350W motor just enough for all the Mechmate drilling. I don't have to lift the beam & other steel for drilling. Make a world of difference when working alone.
Old Thu 21 January 2010, 04:19
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Sure makes things easy Tony - you can now cross 1HP 160 - 3000 RPM drill press off the life list. Nice one.
Old Thu 21 January 2010, 05:03
skippy

Queensland
Australia
Now that's why you wasn't home today.
Old Thu 21 January 2010, 05:05
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
I sure hope so Ross!! a couple of suitable weight rated height adjustable roller stands each side of the drill press should make for real easy going

Ken, trouble I have with doing everything down low like that is it makes it very tough on the back kneeling and bending down all the time, especially with the problems I have with my back, much easier for me to have things at a nice workable height

Cheers
Tony.
Old Thu 21 January 2010, 05:30
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
That's why I have this make-shift stool... The height can't be more perfect for the job
drilling stool.jpg

& a pair of knee guard...
Old Thu 21 January 2010, 05:47
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Do your hire shops have magnetic base drills?
Old Thu 21 January 2010, 05:53
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Magnetic base drill is the tool for the job but unfortunately, from where I'm from, there isn't any hire shop. Buying one for one off job is not sensible thing to do & I can't find anyone who I can borrow one from....

Even with a magnetic base drill, you will need a stool to work comfortably
Old Fri 22 January 2010, 00:57
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
Do your hire shops have magnetic base drills?
Yes you can hire the magnetic drills here in australia Gerald, I just like adding gear to my little workshop only problem is if I keep going at this rate I will need a bigger worshop

My 355mm Cold Cut saw arrived today so keep an eye out!! steel prep work should be starting soon!!

Cheers
Tony.
Old Fri 22 January 2010, 01:57
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
WOOO! How I wished I have one of those, chopping the channel to size with a fiber disc chopper need lots of patient & is nerve racking.
Old Fri 22 January 2010, 18:35
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
You could look for a Cole Vise Drill if you dont want to spend the money on a magnetic base drill. For warning this is manual drill but it feeds with each turn. Rumor has it you can drill through a file with HSS drills! More info on the tool can be found here http://rustyiron.com/engines/coledrill/index.html
Old Sun 24 January 2010, 16:10
J.R. Hatcher
Just call me: J.R. #4

Wilmington, North Carolina
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to J.R. Hatcher
Russell, I've had one of these for about 5 years. Never knew what it was, mine came without a chuck and is a #7. Thanks for the link ............ a drill ...... well I'll be, now I know.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read