MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 06 June 2011, 23:36
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Probably from stripping down a working pen?
Old Tue 07 June 2011, 04:15
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
No I know you buy these HARDWARE kits...but sometimes they are a bit expensive.
Old Wed 08 June 2011, 00:54
AuS MaDDoG
Just call me: Tony #71

Brisbane
Australia
Hi Kobus,

Do a google search for Pen Kits there are lots of them around with many different types of kits from cheap ones to very expensive ones. You can also make the pens from very rare pieces of timber or the more common timbers as well as either buying or making your own acrylic blanks for making the pens.

Cheers
Tony.
Old Fri 07 October 2011, 19:46
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Hi All,

Have not been around much lately, doing so much traveling with my work. It was great to be able to take some time to finally cut something with MM a couple of weekends ago. Now how do I create more time ??? mmmmm!!

Well here is the small sign that I cut, it was great standing there watching MM do its thing that it was designed and built to do
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC018790001.JPG (174.0 KB, 1305 views)
Old Fri 07 October 2011, 20:15
tangocharlie123
Just call me: Pete

Gatton Brisbane
Australia
What Timber

Hi Tony

Looks great
What Sort of timber did you use.

Pete
Old Fri 14 October 2011, 04:55
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Hi Pete,

Good to hear from you again !!
The Harley shield was cut from some really old pine built in shelves i removed in my house.
I have several more so a few things to come yet, if and when i get some spare time

Cheers
Tony
Old Fri 30 December 2011, 03:55
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Hey All,

I hope you all had a great Christmas and I certainly wish you all the best and and a Happy New Year into 2012.
I have been a little bit quite on the MM front as I have been doing a lot of travel with work and also working on my other little business venture being custom made pens
Now if only I could get that 4th axis happening I could probably find many uses for it with my pens
Here are some recent pens I have made and if anybody wishes to check out my website you can check it out here.
www.perfectpensandpencils.com.au or by visiting www.facebook.com/perfectpensandpencils

Please make sure to click the Like button at the top of our Facebook page and I would appreciate your feedback regarding either or both.

Look out MM you might be up for that 4th axis upgrade sooner than you thought hehe!!

Cheers
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20940001.JPG (184.2 KB, 996 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20960002.JPG (188.9 KB, 995 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20970003.JPG (176.5 KB, 991 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_21000004.JPG (176.0 KB, 993 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_21010005.JPG (175.1 KB, 996 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_21020006.JPG (187.5 KB, 988 views)

Last edited by AuS MaDDoG; Fri 30 December 2011 at 04:12..
Old Fri 30 December 2011, 04:37
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Your site says you just bought a manual indexer in the Pen Wizard machine.
Sounds like you have 4th axis fever.

The MM will run rings around the patterns the Pen wizard produces so I'm not surprised you want an indexer tomorrow !!

Regards
Ross
Old Fri 30 December 2011, 18:09
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
I do I do I do want an indexer tomorrow however I need to look at it and not rush into it like I normally do lol. Still waiting on skippy to finish bits and pieces on my MM too before I continue too much further. I hate having loose ends.

I am not sure which way to go, purchase a small lathe and modify or purchase one of those readily available 4th axis kits?

The other thing I am not sure about at this stage is do I make it so that it sits on the table or do I modify my table to accommodate larger items too.
I guess its all about having flexibility in its use as its not only going to be doing pens all the time!! I hope!!

Good to hear you are getting back on top of things and getting back into what you enjoy "Boards" I must be due to give you another visit sometime soon for a catch up, but until then Have a good and safe New Year.

Cheers
Tony.
Old Sat 31 December 2011, 21:20
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Hi Tony

The pens are looking the goods by the way, hopefully you moved a few over Christmas.

We both hate loose ends, life is too short for unfinished projects.
I have some very good information on where to find a closed cell foam vacuum sealing tape for Skippy.
I can strategically withhold the fine detail on your behalf as an incentive,

My return to proper fitness is killing me after nearly 3 months of down time, oh my aching body !!!

I have hovered over both the 4th axis and belt reduction drives without jumping myself.
No pressing need for either my end, but with your pens I can see great possibilities like custom knurling and personalised engraving.
Like yourself I have the driver and motor for the 4th axis, shame to see them idle.
Happy to run through some concepts together but from memory Art recommended a 10:1 reduction min to overcome any movement in the axis.
The only other thing that is an issue is being satisfied with any limits a particular design imposes on swing or length

Cheers and make plenty of stuff in 2012.

Regards
Ross
Old Mon 28 May 2012, 04:53
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Hi All,

I have not had much in the way of free time for several months to get creative like some others here on the forum however I did take some time out last weekend to cut one of the sample 3d Aspire signs for one of my mates bar. That's what I like about having my own MM its there for when I want it.

I am also venturing into the fine woodworking area of box making and looking to do some nice carving, inlays and engraving to the boxes I make.

I have also bought one of those small Chinese 4th axis's to play around with although I do not know where I am going to find the time to set it up let alone use it so volunteers welcome Although I am not seen here too much any more I do keep checking in from time to time just to keep up to speed with where everybody is at.Thats all from me for now !!

Cheers
Tony.
Old Mon 28 May 2012, 09:21
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Nice Sign Tony!
Old Sat 02 June 2012, 04:47
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Big Thanks

Big Thanks !!

Goes out to Ross for spending several hours with me today carrying out a few tweaks to my MM. We also changed over my spindle to the larger 2.2kw water cooled and also updated my Mach3 screen set. We had a few small hiccups along the way but Ross was quick to sort them out. MM is now running a bit faster and sounds and feels a lot smoother

Much appreciated Ross
Cheers
Tony.
Old Sun 30 August 2015, 04:02
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Wink

Hi All,

Sorry it has been a while between posts, but just letting you all know that MM#71 is still cutting. My day job looking after Australasia kept me very busy and away from home for most of the last 5-6 years so MM never really done too much.
I have just recently left my day job and now enjoying spending each and everyday at home doing all the things I love, mainly working with wood. I also still do my pens as well and also sell pen parts to other pen makers so its a great little hobby business.
However now that I have my time to myself I have decided it is time to dust off the cobwebs and start using MM so look out !!
Just to make sure MM was still all working ok and so that I could make sure I could still remember how to set things up, I run a couple of the Design and Make files through it and all went well other than my gas strut leaking oil over the job. So I will get that fixed tomorrow and then it is onwards and upwards.

Cheers
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bar sign 2 (Custom).JPG (97.5 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg Beach Theme Sign 1 (Custom).JPG (94.2 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg Beach Theme Sign 2 (Custom).JPG (97.4 KB, 267 views)
Old Sun 30 August 2015, 04:16
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Those are really nice, good to have you back cutting again.
Old Sun 30 August 2015, 06:36
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Welcome back !!
Old Sun 30 August 2015, 07:09
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Very nice design !!

Wishing you all the best in your new venture !
cheers
Old Sun 30 August 2015, 12:01
darren salyer
Just call me: Darren #101

Wentzville mo
United States of America
Nice work, Tony.
Old Sun 11 February 2018, 19:54
AuS MaDDoG

Brisbane
Australia
Hey All,

Im still kicking around ;-) Big Old Blue is still moving and cutting. Recently fitted a new touch screen to the console along with smooth stepper some LED's to the y carriage and today I just finished the dust foot now to connect up the dusty.
Cheers
Tony

Old Sun 11 February 2018, 20:35
clarson66
Just call me: Chris & Leon #100

Adelaide
Australia
Nice - Still have my old original MDF one I knocked up us temp one 4 years ago. LOL
Old Mon 12 February 2018, 00:40
racedirector
Just call me: Bruce #122

New South Wales
Australia
Nice dust shoe! What brush are you using?

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read