MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > General - MM Build
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 17 February 2009, 13:18
1foamimprovement
Just call me: Martin

Paso Robles, CA
United States of America
Is the MM the right machine for Me? (cutting thin boards and thick foam)

Quote:
The longer z-axis drawings are for those who want to make foam molds and have light cutting forces. This is a territory I prefer not to venture into. Rember that the MechMate is "promoted" as a board processing machine because I know that is what it does really well.
I have read numerous threads from about a year ago on the Z axis travel. Can the Mechmate be set up to cut thick foam and thin board materials equally well? Some of the threads seemed favorable to the idea whereas other seemed not as enthusiastic.

I am thinking that 12 inches or 300mm of z axis travel would suffice for my foam plug cutting efforts but I would still like to have the accuracy when it comes to flat stock.

In your opinion (and by "your" I mean anyone in the forum) is the Mech Mate still a good machine for me to set out to build?

Is anyone cutting both thicker foam and thin flatstock successfully. (I presume the answer is yes...But I thought I would ask anyway)

My apologies to open this issue yet again.

Kind Regards,
Martin
Undecided
Old Tue 17 February 2009, 14:01
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Martin, with a few considerations, you can easily accommodate these needs.

This table does exactly what you request with a modular spoil board for depth of cut ability.

...come on in, the water's fine!
Old Tue 17 February 2009, 17:18
1foamimprovement

Paso Robles, CA
United States of America
Sean,

Thank you for your reply, I viewed the link you sent and started reading some of the info on building the Z axis. I am convinced that this is the place to be. Count me in! I am simply amazed by the works I am viewing. I need a little time to get organized and a plan in place...I look forward to posting progress in the near future.
Old Tue 17 February 2009, 21:57
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Martin, if you want to cut thinish boards and thickish foam you need a short z-axis overhang for stiffness with the boards, and a long overhang z-axis for the foam accepting less z-axis stiffness.

The solution is to have 2 table heights. Build the basic table frame with a big clearance under the gantry for the foam. And than build a removable "false" table "box" to raise boards up nearer to the gantry.
Old Wed 18 February 2009, 08:11
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Martin,

You might want to keep your eye on Steve's build here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelygood View Post
...I have made a few changes to the base as I need the ability to cut boards to 32mm thick and also polystyrene moulds up to 500 mm high.
The table will be raised and lowered into position using 4 x M20 screwed rods driven by a common chain and sprokets. Once in position a single M16 capscrew on each of the 6 legs will lock the table into place ready for machining...
Regards
Steve

He's seems to have an approach to various "Z" heights.

Regards,
John
Old Wed 18 February 2009, 18:24
1foamimprovement

Paso Robles, CA
United States of America
Thanks for all your replies...I will study further the movable table idea and begin to gather materials to begin.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read