MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Archives
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Tue 21 April 2009, 05:25
alan254
Just call me: Al #95

mystic ct
United States of America
don't give up yet

hi gerald,

i like many of your new readers of this site. actually do go on to building machines as i am now, have it rolling and am working on the electrical. pictures soon i owe this forum that. i am sure all that do read and those that do go on to build may ask questions at first it is the normal learning curve. starting to building a machine after only seeing some from pictures is a chalange believe me. I know when i down loaded the plans the first time i was over welmed. now that i am building and do read the forum daily and have made my share of mistakes and am willing to add to the forum as i learn and make more mistakes as i want my input to be correct and helpfull.

another note at the top left of this forum is a word, that word is donate i as many others use your site and have nor of yet done so and would like to know the proper and just amount to put in that window to keep this site alive.

thanks for all and to all,

al drouin
Old Tue 21 April 2009, 06:50
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
Hi G' I think this forum is swamped by more and more Mechmate builders than the Non- Mechmate folks - I am getting old here

it started as a family - and now its a whole village

LOL
Old Tue 21 April 2009, 07:22
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Al,

You are welcome to come visit Orlando and see what two machines look like. If you can go see a machine in operation, it does help to get an over all view.
Old Tue 21 April 2009, 07:44
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Hey Al, don't get nervous that the site might go bankrupt and that we will all disappear before you are finished!

(The donate button has earned $1260.11, by way of 29 donations, which is a healthy amount to cover costs for quite a distance into the future.)
Old Tue 21 April 2009, 08:18
jhiggins7
Just call me: John #26

Hebron, Ohio
United States of America
Al,

I think you are an example of just what this Forum is all about. Like others, you started reading, downloaded drawings, dug for understanding, asked some questions and STARTED BUILDING, and then, looked for ways to support the Forum. Support the Forum includes considering a donation, BUT very importantly, includes giving back to the Forum so others can learn from your successes and mistakes. Also, recording your build gives the Forum a sense of moving forward...you know, YET ANOTHER BUILD.

Looking forward to your pictures. May I suggest that you start your personal thread to document your build. You ALREADY HAVE THE GANTRY ROLLING! Let's see it!

Happy building, Al.
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 02:31
GBCSL
Just call me: Greg

London
United Kingdom
I'm a new member here (see my intro thread) and feel the need to say, I'm blown away by the support and knowledge that is shared so freely here by Gerald and others. I intend to build a MM and will be relying on the support here to complete it well, although I fully intend to document my build with regular posts and photos and will contribute in return with knowledge I acquire from the build experience.

What a strong spirit this place has and the passion of many of the builders is clearly evident. I'd venture so far as to say that the support offered to new owners here, is better than many large CNC vendors. Only found this forum yesterday, but I'm mighty impressed already. Keep up the great work you all do.
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 09:28
BradWeingartner
Just call me: Brad

Ish
United States of America
Funny this should come up.

I just registered. I am not looking for information on building a mechmate. I just wanted to see the pictures to learn more about the different options out there.

So yeah, I think the pictures are contributing.

To be honest, until I spent a little time here I didn't realize that the mechmate was any sort of product.
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 11:01
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Brad wait till you have built one and it works and generating an income then you will see what a product this is.
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 11:55
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Brad,

To me it really isn't a product in the sense Gerald is selling the machine to you. It is more a project. Gerald has provided the plans, support and this great forum that he has provided free of charge. He only request that you follow some simple rules when you do build and he is flexiable on them to some extent. Besides getting a fantastic CNC machine when you are finished building, you also learn some things about your self, talk to a bunch of knowledgeable people and you gain some friends along the way. Hopefully you can also provided your knowledge to others and help each other with their build and using the machine.

Most of us visited the site for some time before we started to build. So you are welcome to visit and we hope you decided to build.
Old Wed 22 April 2009, 17:57
oldhack
Just call me: oldhack

sun valley CA
United States of America
i agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
Oldhack, I really have no problem with other builders reading (or posting) on this site, as long as they "give" and don't "take". Look at Greolt and Richards as examples - they don't own MechMates but they "give" very valuable advice.

My goal is to have every thread that is ever displayed on an index thread here, to be good reading for someone building a MechMate.
As it should be.
I think this is a great site!! and it should be just for creating and building the mechmate . This ole' fart isnt up to par yet to build yours. I contribute on many other types of forums, because i know what im talking about. But when it comes to CNC's, Im an idiot. So I read and learn and one day ill contribute also.
Old Sat 22 August 2009, 06:32
Polder48
Just call me: polder

Edam
Netherlands
Gerald,

Just now I ended up reading this treath.

At first you made me concerned because I did get the impression you're a litle bit 'fed up'. Experienced in teaching people I know that it gives all sorts of people. The ones you're concerned about don't excists for me anymore. Giving them energy is lost energy therefore of no use.

Reading further me concernes disappeared, due to all the thumbs up words off the MM community. For what it's worth, I am a newby, reading and learning al this wonderfull stuff. I am impressed with regards to the knowledge of you and all the contributing members off the MM-community. It is a special feeling to see how many of all this people are willing to share the knowledge they have and therefore made the build off my own big bleu possible. Still lurking this site for information I'am confinced that this project will be realised within the next 9 months. Like that, it's concieving a big bleu baby. Rest asure you're the Godfather off this community and I hope you will be for many years to come. I promisse to keep this community fully informed as I will start the build and during the proces of the build.

Just my 2c for what it's worth.
Old Sat 22 August 2009, 18:01
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Polder

Welcome and good luck on your build when you start.

Gerald has dedicated this site to building MechMates and helping the builders. There are other sites for those that want to build some thing else.
Old Sat 22 August 2009, 19:42
servant74
Just call me: Jack

Nashville (Tennessee)
United States of America
Polder, I thing that G's main part of being fed up is people not following the rules they agreed to when they joined the forum.

I know some think rules apply, just not to them. I have one kid that seems to be that way. Even with kids, it is no excuse to not follow rules you agreed to, whether you bothered to read the rules or not.
Old Sat 22 August 2009, 22:38
oldhack
Just call me: oldhack

sun valley CA
United States of America
goals are the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post
Oldhack, I really have no problem with other builders reading (or posting) on this site, as long as they "give" and don't "take". Look at Greolt and Richards as examples - they don't own MechMates but they "give" very valuable advice.

My goal is to have every thread that is ever displayed on an index thread here, to be good reading for someone building a MechMate.
Thanks Gerald. I was going to start with a mechmate myself but was overwhelmed. If I ever get this bugger finished and running, then ill have some good advice to give.(or maybe not!! Grin) My next one will be your machine as this one , i dont think will be heavy enough for me. Keep it going and this is a great site for info.
Closed Thread

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read