MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Miscellaneous hardware and software > Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sun 07 February 2010, 18:58
Besser
Just call me: Besser

Vic
Australia
Taken from another thread:

Yes spring loaded is the simple and effective anti backlash method. Getting fancy can mean headaches (yes Toyota had a big headache)

Gerald I like how toyota will be installing a precision metal part (aka "spacer") Looks like it limits total pedal travel! I hope they reprogram the fly by wire to have a new WOT position.
Old Mon 08 February 2010, 09:19
Kobus_Joubert
Just call me: Kobus #6

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
Why does cars have to be so FANCY these day's. I like a car that I can still work on...nothing like old oil under the fingernails
Old Mon 08 February 2010, 15:03
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Kobus, I agree with you there, the new cars and trucks are designed to be mass produced efficiently, not repaired efficiently. Good for the manufacturer and repair houses that charge by the hour, but not the consumer or backyard mechanic.
Old Mon 08 February 2010, 17:38
Besser
Just call me: Besser

Vic
Australia
Heath, I agree it's a "fat cats" world. The paper shufflers are the ones bleeding the profits out of us and deliver few results. "Precision Metal Part" in the accelerator would have been a PR house line. The mechanic would have said "a washer glued in". The price difference is $100's, the mechanic get paid the same!
Old Tue 09 February 2010, 01:02
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
I don`t like looking under my hood seeing that I cannot do anything besides bringing it to the service. Usually I got under my car, did some repairing or changing parts.
For everything you need nowadays special tools and stuff which nobody has in the garage.
I liked it more when cars were still made rock solid like the Mercedes 300D. Simple and undistructable.
Mercedes-Benz-300D_1985.jpg
Old Tue 09 February 2010, 01:11
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
I drive a 240D.
Old Tue 09 February 2010, 03:29
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobus_Joubert Send a message via Skype™ to Kobus_Joubert
My dad still have his 280 E
Old Tue 09 February 2010, 03:32
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Hey don`t forget a WV Beetle I have a 1600 twin port
Old Tue 09 February 2010, 04:30
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
My 1st car I bought after graduation is a beatle, got it for ~USD200 (complete junk condition) & took me 10 months & ~USD3.5Kto restore & bore the 1300cc engine to 1500cc, never get to tune it proper as I was offered ~8K, so I sold it for another car restore project that never happened...
Love that beatle...
Old Tue 09 February 2010, 11:25
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
My son came home from college this afternoon saying that it looks like the stearing box is leaking oil from the lower seal.

He bought a Toyota Cressida 1982 model from my sister. This car has been in the family since it left the showroom. First bought by my aunt in Kempton Park. Then my sister and her husband bought it. Later it was transferred to their daughter as a studend car. When she qualified as a CA last year she bought a new Toyota Auris. The TANK had to be disposed off....an ideal student car for my son. He got it for R 5000.00 and paid it in 3 installments from his job that he had last year as part of his practical training. Since then this car has a new lease of life....it now boast central locking on all four doors, alarm, immobilizer and anti-hijack....and off course a SOUND system.....cannot fit any beer in the boot anymore...

We jumped in after supper and took the stearing box out to see what seal to buy tomorrow. While busy there I noticed that the front crankshaft seal is a little wet. I said too him that while we are busy, let's get this sorted out as well....

He thought I was mad, but I pushed ahead. 30 minutes later the seal was out....He could not believe it and now has an even higher regard for his TANK.

I am sure I will be able to change the rings through the intake manifold if I want to...as there is sooooooo much space to work on the motor...

DSC01052.JPG

DSC01050.JPG

Tomorrow it seal buying time... can't wait to see how much that will cost me.
Old Tue 09 February 2010, 11:34
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
You call that a car?
That's a car!

The people are my son and his girlfriend on the day of his prom.
... but not his car. Mine.

That's a car you can work on.
Old Tue 09 February 2010, 11:36
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
I forgot to add this picture...... He asked me to make him a sticker for the back of the TANK.... ROES IS BETER AS SKULD.... translated ....

It's better to have rust than debt.....

DSC01054.JPG

Nice car Jeff, but I am sure we have more space available to work up front...
Old Tue 09 February 2010, 11:47
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
Perhaps a bit. I do know that you have less need for a huge fuel tank.

Although, I've been investigating the possibility of replacing the 5.7l v8 with a 4.0l northstar 32v aluminum v8.

25mpg and 400hp? Perhaps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northstar_engine_series

But then I build in more complexity.

Last edited by lumberjack_jeff; Tue 09 February 2010 at 11:52..
Old Tue 09 February 2010, 11:54
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Kobus,

You do not have that kind of space in any newer car. On my 02 Nissan truck, it is a nightmare to change the oil filter. It is almost easier to buy a new truck.
Old Tue 09 February 2010, 11:59
wintersgillg
Just call me: Graham

Glasgow
United Kingdom
nice cars

I am helping my brother in law replace a water pump water pump in a 1990 Corolla - any easy job according to the mechanic in his work. Well maybe it is if you are a gynecologist and can wallpaper the hall through the letterbox.

For a honourist take on Toyot's problems have a look at www.sniffpetrol.com

Regards
Old Wed 10 February 2010, 10:54
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
Just some more useless information.

The small seal 28 . 40 . 8 quote from Toyota dealer R 115.00
Picked up the small seal from BMG for R 12.50... they did not have the big one on hand.

Drove down the road to another bearing place....1km from my work.
Big seal 45 . 68 . 12 cost R 12.50

I asked the price on the small seal .... R 3.45........ouch.
Why o why must we people try and STEAL money in this way from normal people????
Old Wed 10 February 2010, 11:03
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Must be the inventory costs. The dealer apparently sells one per decade, BMG sells one per year, and the third company sells one per week.
Old Wed 10 February 2010, 11:10
hennie
Just call me: Hennie #23

Roodepoort JHB
South Africa
Kobus You know what the law says of Transvaal.(k.k en betaal is die wet van Transvaal)
Old Wed 10 February 2010, 11:14
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Realise that R 7.75 = $1

Om te kla is 'n fyn manier van "brag"

which translates as: "to complain is a refined way of bragging"

Kobus is just trying to rub our noses in his cheap car's cheap oil seals.
Old Wed 10 February 2010, 11:39
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
With a daughter and son studying...and a little pension eater at home,,,,, I need to cut costs to buy my MM parts
Old Wed 10 February 2010, 11:56
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
You know that a YUPPIE is a young urban professional? Well, your brood sound like KIPPERS.

Kids in parents' pockets eroding retirement savings.
Old Wed 10 February 2010, 12:43
Kobus_Joubert

Riversdale Western Cape
South Africa
ha ha good one Gerald
Old Wed 10 February 2010, 12:51
Johannescnc
Just call me: John

Hannover, DE
Germany
The ideal car is one that doesn't need the hood opened very often...
The few times I needed to open the Silverado hood was to change a battery and refill the oil and coolant... It's it shame the changed the company name to GM (government motors)
Rather get my hands dirty working on my MechMate...

Last edited by Johannescnc; Wed 10 February 2010 at 12:53..

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read