MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Archives
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Sat 29 September 2007, 10:16
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Using the Oriental Motor Alpha-Step motors on the MechMate frames.

For those that are asking off-list whether they can move their Alpha motors from the ShopBot to the MechMate . . . . . Yes, they will bolt straight on.

No, I don't know if you can use Mach3 and a parallel cable with them. Yes, I do think it will cure the "connection lost" problem.

What is the V.Fil setting? Does one set it the same way as the Gecko trimpot? No, it has nothing to do with mid-band resonance. Explained well in this doc: http://www.orientalmotor.com.sg/Oper...HM-6164-4E.pdf

Use the speed-filter selection switch “V.FIL” to select the filter time constant that determines the
motor’s response to pulse input.
The switch provides a selection of 16 levels ranging between “0” and “F.”
When a larger value is selected, it will reduce shock when the motor is started and stopped, and
will minimize low-speed vibration.
An unnecessarily large filter time constant, however, will smooth out the motor movement
further but with a reduced ability to synchronize to the pulse input and extended settling time
when stopping. Select an optimal value to fit the load and application.
Clipboard01.gif
Old Sat 29 September 2007, 11:43
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
Gerald,
The Oriental Motor Alpha motors could be used almost anywhere a 'standard' stepper motor and Gecko stepper driver would be used. The Alpha stepper driver has a 34-pin I/O connector, so anyone using the Alpha stepper driver will have to fabricate a custom I/O cable. As long as the Alpha driver's function switch is set properly, standard step and direction signals can be used. If a 5V power supply is used, you have the choice of connecting the + (plus/5V) side of the step and direction signals directly to 5VDC and then pulsing the - (minus/GND) side of the step and direction signal to ground (similar to the Gecko G202 with common 5V), or, you can connect the - (minus/GND) side of the step and direction signals directly to the power supply's ground (0V) terminal and then pulsing the + (plus/5V) side of the step and direction signals up to 5VDC (similar to the Gecko G203v with common GND).

Also, the 'standard' resolution of an Alpha stepper motor is 1,000 pulses per revolution. A Gecko driven stepper has 2X that resolution (2,000 pulses per revolution). So, you would get 2X better resolution if you used Geckos. Torque figures of an Alpha stepper and a PK299 motor are very similar (depending on exactly which PK299 motor is selected).

Understandably, no one wants to throw away Alpha motors and drivers that cost $4,400 per set of four when new, so, if someone already has the motors and the drivers, they can be used.
Closed Thread

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read