MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 03 February 2010, 12:58
GaryS
Just call me: Gary

Johnson City, TN
United States of America
MechMate vs. ShopBot

I'm not sure if I am going to build one of these machines yet. Shopbot is another option. I'm concerned about the lack of professional tech support.
Old Wed 03 February 2010, 13:01
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
One of the great things about building a MechMate and this forum is the support you get from the folks at this site. And as you build the MM for yourself, you will know the inner workings and know how to fix all aspects of the machine.
Old Wed 03 February 2010, 13:06
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
<chuckle> That is certainly something you need to evaluate for yourself. I'd suggest that there are thousands of examples of tech support to be found here in this forum, and many of them are better than "professional" support. Read around some more, and see what your impression is.

Don't forget to evaluate the relative quality per cost between the machines as well.
Old Wed 03 February 2010, 13:41
GaryS

Johnson City, TN
United States of America
I have briefly looked thru the downloads. I see a lot of detailed drawings and bills of material. Are there assembly instructions? Vendor sources?

Also, what is the estimated cost for parts for a 48" x 96" machine?
Old Wed 03 February 2010, 13:58
bradm

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Yes, there are many assembly instructions; this forum acts as both tech support, and as documentation of the procedures used to build the machine. I suggest you look at the numbered forum sections ( 10, 20, ...), and the threads pinned to the top of each of those sections.

The cost range for built 48" x 96" machines has been about $3000 to $8000, depending on exactly what you do. I toss around the number $5k because it's easy conceptually: $1k steel, $1k motors, $1k fasteners and mechanicals, $1k electronics and computer, $1k tools and mistakes.

The key action on your part, which you will hear from many of us, is to read, read, read. Everything I've written above is redundant, and has already been answered in the forums. Once you've spent some hours researching, there are many of us who will be happy to answer your remaining questions, and enjoy your new ideas.

BTW, Welcome!
Old Wed 03 February 2010, 14:19
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Gary,

I think you should go buy a ShopBot. I know others are suggesting you build a MM but I think you should pass us by.

If you build a MM, you in most cases will not need tech support. I visit the ShopBot site and what I have found are owners that do not know how to fix their machines when some thing needs fixing or they want to add some thing to make it better.

Spend the extra money on a ShopBot.

You won't get a set of plans with your ShopBot and I don't think you will get better support and help then you find on this site.

Good luck.
Old Wed 03 February 2010, 15:35
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Gary,

There is a guy in TN that built a MM, go see how it works.
Old Wed 03 February 2010, 15:37
blakekoehn
Just call me: Blake #47

Macon, MS
United States of America
Gary,

I just sold a Shopbot so I could build a MM. They are not even comparable. If Mechmate was Secratariat, then Shopbot is whatever finished last that year.

I have spent 3 weeks and $5500 on my MM. I hope to have it running tomorrow. Here is a link to my build thread.

http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2451
Old Wed 03 February 2010, 18:00
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Welcome Gary. Have a look around. If you feel you could handle the build I believe you will have a much better machine and also as Nils said, you will be able to fix it and modify it to your liking.
Old Wed 03 February 2010, 20:00
lumberjack_jeff
Just call me: Jeff #31

Montesano, WA
United States of America
I have to agree with Nils. If professional tech support is a major consideration, the ShopBot is probably a better choice.

That said; for me, it was DIY or nothing. Mine is a basic, but very serviceable machine.

Now that have built one, I know that I could build a machine far better than a ShopBot for about half the cost.

Gary, If you do decide to build, we're here to help. Once you've built it, you'll probably find that you don't need tech support.
Old Wed 03 February 2010, 20:33
SumBum
Just call me: Jay (Bum)

PA
United States of America
I was in the same boat trying to decide between buying or building.
I came to the conclusion that I'd rather have a full understanding of every part on the machine. The only way that will happen, is to build it.
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 06:27
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
I'm with Nils, and I would like to add this, MechMate is for the self proficient.
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 07:28
GaryS

Johnson City, TN
United States of America
I think I could handle the construction. It's the control system that kind of scares me. If I bought the control panel and stepper motors as a package, I could rely on that company's tech support.

My knowledge base is limited on CNC. I bought a cheap 12" x 24" CNC on Ebay a couple of years ago. The control board failed and I had to replace the board and the power supply. I learned about CNC control systems from that experience. But I also learned that it's very complex.
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 07:51
bradm

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Hmm. I tend to try to keep my advocacy to a minimum, but here's a firm recommendation for you: Consider a Gecko 540 (G540), paired with the Oriental Motors with 7.2 gearboxes and 20 tooth pinions.

You'll have to run a parallel cable from the PC to the G540, make (4) four-wire-plus-shield DB9 cables out to your motors, and you are done with the motion package, with only two, very supportive vendors (OM and GeckoDrive).

To control your cutterhead, you'll want a solid state relay if you use a router. Regardless of router or spindle, you'll end up with a pair of wires, either from your G540 to your SSR, or to your VFD.

For your E-Stop circuit, you'll need a daisy-chained pair wired from the stop buttons on your machine to your main contactor.

If you choose to add proximity sensors (limit switches, I'd recommend this), you'll have a small amount of extra wiring - 3 additional pairs (shielded); one from each of the sensors to the G540.

Go read everything with "G540" on it here: http://geckodrive.com/support.aspx?q=10003

For the record, I think Nils' recommendation makes sense. If, after doing your research, you are still uncomfortable, then perhaps this isn't for you. I'm betting that you're already halfway off the fence, based on the fact that you bothered to ask us.
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 08:03
gixi
Just call me: Marius (AVO) #32

Bucharest
Romania
Send a message via Yahoo to gixi
Gary take me for example: 2 years ago CNC technology was something soooo far away for my power of understanding. In that time I didn't know exactly what is a G code, spindle, a BOB, power source, etc. Read as much as you can from this forum, start to cut (build) and if you have a problem here are enough nice people who can help you. This is not rocket science.
Start cutting!
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 08:31
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
If a lawyer and a dentist can do it, you can too.
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 09:20
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Hmm, that is a Romanian lawyer and a Romanian dentist - I don't know if they count?

Gary, once you make the breakthrough, and suddenly click that the controller is not as complicated as you first thought, that's when your need for tech support evaporates. We all had that "Eureka" moment when we strung a couple of standard items together and got our motors to turn under our command.
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 09:26
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
And we have just added a surfer from Durban. . .
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 09:42
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
nooit bru, thats radical...if even a surfer from Durbs can do it any body can
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 10:33
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Gary,

As you can see so far, there is more help here than you will ever need. Just about every one that has built a MM has had some issue with some thing. Some of us have had multiple issues but we are cutting.
Old Thu 04 February 2010, 17:43
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D View Post

Gary, once you make the breakthrough, and suddenly click that the controller is not as complicated as you first thought, that's when your need for tech support evaporates. We all had that "Eureka" moment when we strung a couple of standard items together and got our motors to turn under our command.
Take me for an example, I started off with zero knowledge of the control system, struggled with the kitchen table project for far too long and before you know it, I'm all confident with the system & I can wire up the panel with almost any choice of BOB & drivers blind folded!

You only need that "can-do" attitude...
Old Wed 10 February 2010, 09:26
liaoh75
Just call me: David

Taibao
Taiwan
Hi Gary, I once had pondered the same thing you are thinking about right now. What if I can't make it work? Maybe, I'll select the wrong this or that. There was a time, I thought it couldn't be done by someone like me. I took the plunge after about 6 months of poking around. I can't say that everything will be perfect for you in your build as it certainly wasn't for mine. However, I will say that the guys on this forum will help you find your way if you are having problems. These guys never quit on me. Suggestions and solutions come from all angles.

Now, here is what I gained by building this well designed machine that anyone can build.

1. I know exactly what I'm dealing with because I built it.
2. The "support" on this forum is second to none I'm aware of.
3. The cut quality is supurb if you follow sound advice from those that have done it already and made the mistakes you can now avoid by reading the trouble shooting section. You'll see me there.
4. I can trouble shoot my own problems in a pinch and I gota get that job out the door in 2 hours
5. I've acquired skills in metal working, software, and trouble shooting (Very valuable things here)

This is just a list off the top of my head. You make the decision that you feel is best for you; but if you decide to take the challenge of doing it yourself, I can say with a fair degree of certainty that you won't be dissapointed. It's been a rewarding experience for me and I have to thank Gerald and the guys on this forum that didn't ignore me because I didn't know it all. I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you build log sometime in the future.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read