MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 55. Dust Management
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 09 February 2009, 12:46
MariusL
Just call me: Marius #22

Centurion
South Africa
Routing the flexible dust hose

Gerald,
Any ideas on how to handle the dust extractor tube. With the table being large it poses a bit of a problem. The dust collector is situated next to the machine midways. The tube is 100mm in diameter. I was thinking of a swing arm with a roller track.
Old Mon 09 February 2009, 19:58
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
A swing arm with a track under it, and one or two runners supporting the hose, seems to be the best option.
Old Mon 09 February 2009, 22:42
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Gerald,
Should I make the swing arm to reach the furthest corner? If not, what is the practice?
Old Mon 09 February 2009, 23:36
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
I don't know of standard practice because I havn't seen enough systems. I think the biggest factor is the amount of ceiling height you have above the table. If you have plenty of height, you don't even need a swing arm. . . .

Note that it helps to support the hose above the z-axis so that it can drop down to a flexible loop after the support.

Here is a fixed arm, again going to point high above the z-axis.

There is no harm in building a swinging arm that stops about a meter short from the furthest corner - you can always cut it shorter later.
Old Mon 09 February 2009, 23:57
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
The area that the machine will work for the first 8 months or so has a very low roof. I will have to go for the swing arm system.
Old Tue 10 February 2009, 00:09
Alan_c
Just call me: Alan (#11)

Cape Town (Western Cape)
South Africa
Send a message via Skype™ to Alan_c
This is the idea I am working on. I propose to use lazy susan type bearings at the pivoting points (so that the dust pipe can pass through it) I also have a very low roof over my machine. The counterweight on the top section is to balance the long section over the machine. The whole assembly must be firmly attached to a wall or steel column. The lengths of the two sections are critical and decided by the position of the fixing point relative to the table. The arm must always have a bend in it (when viewed from above) so that the assembly will fold correctly when the gantry moves to the back.

dust pipe idea.jpg
Old Tue 10 February 2009, 00:32
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
For very low headroom, there are a couple of guys who strap their dust hoses onto the edges of their cable chains.
http://pacosarea.blogspot.com/2007/0...nc-router.html

Maybe some ideas (and smiles) . . . .
http://www.infraredradiant.com/emerg...e_exhaust.html

Alan, your arm has a tiny illustration on this page:
http://www.infraredradiant.com/neder...ductrange.html

Reel/winch system:
http://www.monoxivent.com/products/1/motor_op_hose.php
Old Tue 10 February 2009, 01:32
MariusL

Centurion
South Africa
Thanks for the replies gentlemen, it has given me some good ideas. Due to space constraints, I will have to go for the folded arm idea. I will show pictures later.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read