MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 27 January 2010, 17:22
Trekker2010
Just call me: Trekker

Kuala Lumpur
Malaysia
New - Kuala Lumpur

Hello Everyone. I am new to this forum. I am located here in Kuala lumpur, Cheras area. I am a hobbyist also and trying to build my own CNC via this forum. It is very informative and incouraging to build one like anyone did just for the joy of it. I am a Control systems Engineer by profession but I am a carpenter, gardener and all sort of things I could get my hands on.

Ken, May I know where did you get your stepper motors and drivers? I would like to order them also but I could not find the right local supplier here in KL. I've been reading your progress on your project too. I appreciate your kind feedback.
Old Wed 27 January 2010, 22:54
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Trekker,
Welcome! Great to know I have a neighbor in this forum! Cheras is less the an hour drive away. Maybe we can hang out sometime.

If you are interested in building MM, you should go to here & start a thread.

If you did your work going through this thread (or is it other thread... Can't remember... ), you will find that I had mentioned my supplier.

Do spend time to work through all the "sticky" thread first & then all the other thread. You will be amaze by the wealth of information these generous members had offered.

As an advise to a fellow neighbor, this forum is a Mechmate building "exclusively" forum on the beautiful designed by Gerald. If you are thinking of building an completely different design, this is not the place. Again, I couldn't emphasis more that you spend sometime to study this forum in detail first to get a hang of the community culture.

Anyway, like you, I couldn't find a local supplier of stepper motors which I can affort, the prices are exorbitant! I got mine from http://www.driver-motor.com/

Despite the price advantage of sourcing abroad, you need to have adequate knowledge of the target product or you will suffer quality, reliability & suitability of the product. All these requires a fair bit of research & learning... which you can find here in this forum.

Today, there are more choices chinese supplier available then when I did my procurement, do your research & you will be overwhelm with choices.
Old Thu 28 January 2010, 21:57
Trekker2010
Just call me: Trekker

Kuala Lumpur
Malaysia
Ken,
Thanks for the feedback. Appreciated very much your generous time to reply. Actually I am studying deeply how to proceed with the MM design and this is my direction to build one also, this 2010. However I am also weighing the total cost involved so information such as how much was the cost of the imported stepper motors and drives( landed cost to Malaysia) would again be greatly appreciated if you could share the info, so i will have an idea when I will do the actual deal in importing the stuffs. This will be my first time to import or order things. I am looking forward to any help anyone could share, to acquire imported parts in building this MM machine.
Old Thu 28 January 2010, 23:48
Claudiu
Just call me: Claus #43

Arad
Romania
Hi Trekker,

welcome and lots of fun in this forum and building this awesome machine.
Old Fri 29 January 2010, 00:26
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Stepper motor is only a small portion of the cost... Don't get too tight up with it. You should covers as much of the components as possible.

I'm not mistaken, Oriental motor has a factory in Malaysia, but they don't make stepper motors. They do have stockist here. Also, there are local importers of branded Stepper motors & drivers, but for my ability they cost arms & legs....e.
Check these for wealth information on stepper motor selection.

Cost varies depending on your final selection and how hard you scrounge and how you build it. On top of that we have inflation & special deals...

Getting from stockist is expensive but you get after sales service, all depends on your risk-taking level... Mine is very high comparatively.

Labour cost is one that I can get away without as I am doing the steel & electrical works myself as much as I could. You get get the professionally done by proper workshop or unprofessionally done by illegal backlane workshop by illigal foreign workers who have never seen a set square, ever... But I enjoy making things & the space, so....

I'd over ran my budget, haven't update the total sum (because I don't want to know!!!) but I think I'm in the range of US4000~5000 inclusive of some power tools, hand tools & consumables.

BTW, we can get the steel & profile cutting a lot cheaper (1/2!) then most part of the world! saving on the shipping put a big grin on my face

If you know your way around, machining, cutting, bending can cost little for all with great precision in light industry parks all over the country. My friendly local lady bender asked for RM20 (USD4~5) as a token for all the laser profile work, for a familiar face...

High quality high carbon steel Module 1 Rack & pinion gear are commonly available locally at about RM350/meter but its a lot cheaper & lesser quality if you import from China.

Don't worry about the Springs & fasteners a visit to Sg. Besi will get you sorted.

Electrical? Transformer? wires? Pasar Road (a few KM from your place) is the place to go.

There are a lot more leg work then you can imagine even before you place your first purchase... & that cost time & money too...

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read