MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 50. Toolheads
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 12 June 2008, 12:48
jeep534
Just call me: archie

prichard, wv
United States of America
True cost of a plasma cutter

All, I am not sure where I stumbled across this but. a lot of hard won advise is presented. I hope you enjoy
http://www.4x4blog.com/plasmacam-price/

Happy Hunting
archie =) =) =)
Old Thu 12 June 2008, 17:47
dmoore
Just call me:

I found an interesting way to make your MechMate into a low-volume plasma table when I was reading the talk shopbot forum. What you do is to determine the distance between the center of the tip and the edge/wall of the torch tip. Then, draw your part to size, then perform an "inset" on the distance determined above. Next, load up a sheet of Masonite (about $7 USD for 4'x8') and cut out your parts. Then just lay the part cut out of Masonite on the sheet metal and do a drag cut along the edge. Presto - el-cheap-o plasma cutter.

It isn't a perfect solution but good in a pinch.
Old Thu 12 June 2008, 19:10
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
David,
I have been doing it that way with a template since College - 18 years ago.
Yep, effective.

But, I still have in the corner an old (okay very old) optical line following torch (yes oxy/gas) that will follow with a wheel anywhere you draw a chalk line!
Very cool for a tool that is over 40 years old.

Sean
Old Thu 12 June 2008, 23:44
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
In about 1985 we built a ship where the cutter machine followed optical drawings. The special thing was that the cutter enlarged the drawings 10 times. A special department at the drawing office would draw these templates on very special film that was dimensionally stable. No CAD system in sight. All calculated and drawn by hand. (This was standard international practice for shipbuilding at that time). Any error at the drawing office was magnified 10 times!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read