MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > Introduce yourself and start planning
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 09 December 2010, 18:31
bwp
Just call me: BW

Garrison, ND
United States of America
Is a newby from North Dakota welcome into your team???? Ha, I am just next door to Minnesota. Just call me BW

I am looking to build a smaller version of the MechMate. Dimension 36" X 36". I plan to use this to machine the master molding plates for casting parts. All of the finished parts are no more than 2 inches thick when the casting is finished. So the machining would be no more than that, and usually only half that thickness. Is that something that is doable with this machine. Thanks BW

Last edited by Gerald D; Thu 09 December 2010 at 19:54..
Old Thu 09 December 2010, 20:59
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
The machine can handle it no problem, but 4x4 is really about as small as you can take our design. But I am sure you would be happy with that size machine.

Welcome to the group !!!
Old Fri 10 December 2010, 10:01
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
BW,
As detailed in a number of machine builds, you will find the best width (gantry) is the 48" dimension as a minimum. The will benefit you in many ways, but mostly resale value. If you were to re-market the machine, adding a new machine bed that is longer will allow you to accommodate the most common USA sheet good size of 48 x 96.

Good luck.

Sean
Old Sun 12 December 2010, 18:50
bwp
Just call me: BW

Garrison, ND
United States of America
Thanks

Right now I just don't have enough room to put a larger machine in. Giving up the additional space would cost me money. I have over 20 machines and support equipment and tooling in my small 3200 sf building, with a dozen machines outside getting rusty. So larger is out of the question. All of my master plates are 24 x 24 so a 36 x 36 size is large enough for my needs. I want to build something that is stout enough to machine wood and/or aluminum. What I really need is 20,000 sf, but who can afford it in this ecomony. If I decide I need a larger machine later, I will build a larger one, and take this one home and use it to cut decorative door panels or something else. BW

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read