MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Structure & Mechanics > 50. Toolheads
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Tue 28 July 2009, 11:01
chopper
Just call me: chopper

Big Lake Minnesota
United States of America
Air cooled vs Water cooled spindles - what is the difference?

what is the difference between the water cooled spindle and the air cooled spindle?
do the water cooled last longer or are they just quieter?
or do they get by with cheaper bearings because of less heat?
thanks //chopper
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 11:11
javeria
Just call me: Irfan #33

Bangalore
India
Chopper in my case I went for a water cooled one bcos of the router noise and moreover they don't seem to get bogged down under load.

the advent of the asian spindles with regular steel ball bearings have not got any complaints as of now - and running them has no heat generated on the bearings (which I feel is the main cause of bearing failure ??) and hence things going on fine with most of them, I have seen that after a 4 hr run the spindle is just warm, say luke warm.

As I have not used ones with air cooling - i cannot comment on them.

RGDS
IRfan
Old Tue 28 July 2009, 11:43
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Water-cooled spindles are cheaper to produce - but the cooling responsibility (and expense) is moved onto the end-user.

The fact that it may be water or air cooled has nothing to do with power/torque output, or with bearing load/life.

The air-cooled spindles generally have a square/rectangular body with thread tapped holes for easy mounting. Water cooled spindles generally have a round body, needing a mounting bracket.

Air cooled spindles come in two styles:
- cooling fan mounted on the back of the main shaft (these are "noisy" ones, at high speed)
- cooling fan is a separate electric motor; "pancake" fan style (these are rather quiet)
Old Mon 16 August 2010, 08:54
chris saintdenis
Just call me: chris

detroit, mi
United States of America
http://cgi.ebay.com/3KW-AIR-COOLED-S...efaultDomain_0

http://cgi.ebay.com/3KW-AIR-COOLED-S...efaultDomain_0

Sorry if these item have already been discussed, I could not find any mention of them on this forum. What are your thoughts on these air cooled spindles? Simpler installation over water cooled spindle but do you think the air flow is suffient for long term cooling. How much louder is air cooled verses the water cooled version?
Old Mon 16 August 2010, 11:58
Richards
Just call me: Mike

South Jordan, UT
United States of America
I have a Colombo spindle (2.2kW or 3hp). Much of its features depends on the Delta VFD. I've got my spindle setup for constant torque between 12,000 RPM and 18,000 RPM. That covers the range of speeds that I normally use. If I run the spindle slower than 12,000, I know that its torque will be proportionally less.

My spindle has the add-on box-type fan that Gerald mentioned. It's quiet and runs constantly, whether the spindle is running or not.

Water cooled spindles were not easily available when I bought the Colombo. Given proper water flow, a water cooled spindle should have a higher On Time than my air cooled spindle. If I remember right, my spindle is rated for 65% continuous use. 100% use at full torque might build up heat faster than the fan can dissipate.

The two spindles on ebay don't have a spec. sheet listing what size collets are available, what style wrenches or any of the other factors that I would need to know before buying a spindle. I would not buy any spindle without full specifications.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read