MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Wed 27 March 2013, 07:01
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Ken....spot on. LOL
Old Wed 27 March 2013, 13:52
pblackburn
Just call me: Pete #98

South-Central Pennsylvania
United States of America
Thank you gentlemen, that will help. The temperature where my machine is always 65°F(18°C) or lower and the humidity is always below 35%. I will most likely be able to play around with the resistors to find a sweet spot. I hope to have the money available to purchase next month.
Old Thu 28 March 2013, 15:40
pblackburn

United States of America
Wanted to post this the other day. The picture does not capture the blue hue that was seen in the trees but there are only certain types of snowfalls that look wonderful in the trees. Maybe only one a year.

Snow in the trees, on Flickr
Old Thu 28 March 2013, 15:43
Tom Ayres
Just call me: Tom #117

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Beautiful, We got some of that the other day but its gone now. Thanks for sharing.
Old Thu 28 March 2013, 15:53
pblackburn

United States of America
Nothing to do with Mechmate but the company I work for sponsored the local high school battle robot program. We were only allowed to help with certain aspects. We did the machining and welding of their bot for the preliminary round. Here is their channel. Was pretty cool helping and seeing this thing develop and finally run. The reduction on the drum is 2:1 and spinning according to them at a maximum of 20000. I had a hard time believing the speed but it was still cool to be able to take part in. We are to be helping modify for the final competition. It is in the 15 pound and under weight class.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Cb...?feature=watch
Old Thu 28 March 2013, 16:30
pblackburn

United States of America
I was thinking of the conversation over the last days and was debating about changing my option for the A axis from the PK296-F4.5A to the PK299-F4.5A based on the torque rating. I am a little concerned about having enough voltage to drive it properly in parallel. Unipolar and Parallel are the same impedance so it would not matter either way. If I calculated on voltage, then unipolar voltage maximum would be higher. I made up this xls sheet to help with my calculations. Would you please review and let me know what to change so I can upload a good resource for others who may have a need for this?
Attached Files
File Type: zip CalculatedPowerSupply.zip (7.4 KB, 37 views)
Old Thu 28 March 2013, 19:13
pblackburn

United States of America
Tom,
I find that as everyone I know gets older, the more they hate snow. I still love it, hate shoveling it, but still love look at it and play in it. Nature is a wonderful thing to witness, just a shame people are in too much of a hurry to stop and enjoy the real world. Nature I mean.
Old Thu 28 March 2013, 19:25
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
I know what you mean, I built my shop next to the house so I could look out across the foot hills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and on occasion I will actually stop to just take in the sunset at the golden hour. Such beauty.
Old Fri 29 March 2013, 00:06
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
These scenes are all around me. Don't want to see it covered in snow!
Old Fri 29 March 2013, 04:14
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
You gotta love it!
Old Fri 29 March 2013, 06:59
pblackburn

United States of America
Gerald,
All places have their beauty as your link definitely shows. I am partial to fall and winter of the New England area. However my allergies are not.
Old Fri 29 March 2013, 09:10
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Ah Gerald,
I think some of those scenes would look awesome with a fresh coat of snow! . But maybe that is my Canadian blood coming out.
Old Fri 29 March 2013, 10:43
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
I spent a month in a snowed part of Germany once. At first it was beautiful but then I felt that it dulled my senses; No colour, no differences in touch (with gloves), no smells. They put people in white rooms to torture them!
Old Fri 29 March 2013, 10:53
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Who, the Germans? or the White rooms? LOL
Old Fri 29 March 2013, 19:14
pblackburn

United States of America
Hey Gentlemen,

I have never done drilling. What is the best way with a spindle? Feeds, Bit Type, Drill Style, etc... I need to put 0.250" diameter blind holes in 0.750" plywood. I read that not to use HHS drill or even a carbide drill bit to drill because of the speed. So I have no idea.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old Sat 30 March 2013, 12:03
pblackburn

United States of America
So this is what I have found so far. http://www.fnal.gov/pub/takefive/pdf...peed_Chart.pdf

I am assuming I could use a spiral upcut. Need to look for more info.
Old Sat 30 March 2013, 17:06
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
http://www.hartlauer-bits.com/

Great bits and tips. I purchase from them regularly.
Old Sat 30 March 2013, 20:11
pblackburn

United States of America
Thanks Sean, I will check it out.
Old Sun 31 March 2013, 13:29
pblackburn

United States of America
Last sign done. Here is the before and after for you to see.

BeforeAndAfter, on Flickr
Old Mon 01 April 2013, 04:35
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Nice
Old Wed 03 April 2013, 15:39
pblackburn

United States of America
Aspire 4 Installation discs finally came today. I was able to download the software weeks ago but had to wait for the discs to see what all they included with this version. They definitely have a lot more models available with it than they did with 3.5. However not everything that was available on the 3.5 disk came with 4. The program itself is much better. The sign above I used the extrusion function with a 3d model to create the border. That was a nice enhancement.
Old Wed 03 April 2013, 16:49
pblackburn

United States of America
Here is some information that may prove useful to someone later on. This a transcript of a chat session with Oriental Motors I had earlier today.

Chat Content:
Chao L: Welcome to our real-time support chat. How can I help you today?
Pete Blackburn: What is the oz-in of the motor on the PK296A2A-SG7.2? I know the torque with the gearbox is 704. I am looking for the motor itself. Thanks.
Chao L: Hi Pete, the maximum holding torque is 440 oz-in
with bipolar connection
and unipolar connection, maximum holding torque is 310 oz-in
Pete Blackburn: Thanks, that is all I needed.
Chao L: You are welcome, Pete. Have a nice evening.
Thank you for using Live Chat, If you have any questions, please feel free to come back or contact us at Tech Support. 1-800-468-3982.
Pete Blackburn: You too.
Old Wed 03 April 2013, 20:13
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Wow, its nice to get info that fast. Even though I hadn't thought much about the geared stepper I'm certainly surprised about the torque ratings. So I guess a belt reduction set up is really producing some torque.
Old Wed 03 April 2013, 20:17
pblackburn

United States of America
Tom,
I had read before that they underrated the torque capacity. That is common for an added safety factor with any gearbox. I was just as surprised as you that the motor was not derated any. The motor has close to the same spec as the PK296-F4.5A.
Old Mon 15 April 2013, 20:27
pblackburn

United States of America
The machine is finally being used for the purpose it was built. Finally started cutting out my base cabinets. Still waiting on AnTek to get restock on power supplies. Slowed down my tuning to 300 and 30 until I can set up with a 56VDC PS. First sheet cut out. Still have an issue with noise somewhere. Is odd this one. I had it with the router and with the spindle at the same relative position. Always at mid X and 2/3 Y max general area. Just stops with limit switch triggered. Once it is out of that area it is fine. Has to be something around that is causing that area to be problem.
Old Mon 15 April 2013, 21:18
Tom Ayres

Bassett (VA)
United States of America
Pete when you say limit switch are you saying proxy switch? I'm wondering if it is more mechanical, then I'd think binding of sorts triggering the switch (maybe the wire chain or something on rails). Have you inspected your wiring thoroughly, check resistances, abrasions etc? Maybe a wire that has frayed internally or bound and doesn't keep good current at a physical locale. I'm unfamiliar with Mach 3 (because I don't have it yet), but does it record triggered events? like the source of trigger. if it does, is it always the same? I'm just throwing out possible questions.
Old Tue 16 April 2013, 04:35
pblackburn

United States of America
Tom,
It is the generic terminology that Mach3 uses for a tripped limit switch. I use proximity switches. It may be a position problem but I need more time to examine. I increased the debounce by 30 and it still happened while cutting in that area.
Old Tue 16 April 2013, 09:42
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
From cnccookbok.com

Quote:
Mach 3 Debounce

I put this one first because it is easy to try. Limits and similar inputs can be debounced in software using Mach 3. This can help to reduce noise sensitivity. Most sources recommend trying a debounce value of 1000 to see if it improves the situation. Values as high as 2000 are sometimes recommended.

Sometimes this debounce option can cause problems in homing circuits, such as strange reversals of motion, so be on the lookout. It is not a panacea. Lower values of debounce may make your switches more accurate and repeatable. It's worth experimenting to find the optimum lowest value that eliminates false hits from noise.
more suggestions

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCCNCNoise.html
Old Tue 16 April 2013, 17:25
pblackburn

United States of America
Danilo,
I have read that site probably a hundred times. In fact I just spent the last 30 minutes reading and re-reading it. I think I need to see if it will happen with VFD disabled. Not sold on it being the VFD since it did it with the PC7518 in the same place also. I don't know if the steppers can make noise. Just right when the cables transfer from the conduct to the cable track is the general area. All my low voltage circuits are 24VDC, my prox switches. Everything is shielded except for the prox cables. That my be the Achilles Heel. My debouce is low. 30. I would like to keep it there. I can run it at 10 as long as it is not in that area for hours. Might have a bad wire and only when it is flexed there it is causing it lose connection.
Old Tue 16 April 2013, 17:40
danilom
Just call me: Danilo #64

Novi Sad
Serbia
quote from mach yahoo group from Art maker of Mach3

Quote:
A debounce of 10 will never do anything, the number shoudl be like 2000 or
so..

Thanks,
Art
www.artofcnc.ca
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mach1m.../message/62239

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read