MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts

Old Sun 30 January 2011, 16:53
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Hi Robert

I see what you mean they have a lot of stock !
Both are 4 pin Silver screw terminal termination.

Ecomate Male Right Angled Connector Part Number: C016-20K003-100-12
Ecomate Female Plug for the Control Box Part Number: C016 20G003 100 12

Catalogue www.amphenol.com.au/catalogue/ecomate.pdf

Regards
Ross
Old Mon 31 January 2011, 04:52
Robert M
Just call me: Robert

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M Send a message via Skype™ to Robert M
Great…tks Ross !
I’m neither a founder nor a member of any «web-wiz» club, but usually get what I seek for on the web.
This one was a little more search even after say 5 to 10 min, no luck !
At the ALLIED site, it isn’t easy to find them, especially since there is no photo of those angle one ( link )
Amicalement, Robert
Old Mon 31 January 2011, 04:58
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Hi Robert my method was to use the catalogue to get the part numbers then search the web for price and availability.
Searching the site was too hard for me too!!

Ross
Old Mon 31 January 2011, 23:25
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Off Topic Post - Tropical Cyclone Yasi

Hi All

The first rain after the 2011 flood was a hail storm !!
....and here is the next weather event we got arriving on our North and Far North Queensland Coast.
Tropical Cyclone Yasi is expected to be a high level category 4 cyclone with winds around the 200 - 250 km per hour mark.

The size of this system is just massive, nearly continental scale.
If your are in North Queensland or know someone there, have them take EVERY measure (including evacuation) to remain safe.

Ross
TC Yasi 01 Feb 2011.JPG
Old Mon 31 January 2011, 23:57
tangocharlie123
Just call me: Pete

Gatton Brisbane
Australia
Off topic

Hi Ross

The evacuation went well, we had to close a 400 man construction camp in Bowen
Traffic on the roads at the moment is not bad at the moment.
I have been sent back to Brisbane as we were in the eye of Sunday's cat 2 cyclone. And on the southern side of this cyclone (high rainfall and stronger winds)

Cheers Pete

Last edited by tangocharlie123; Tue 01 February 2011 at 00:08..
Old Tue 01 February 2011, 04:31
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Ross, Pete, Tony, Paul….and all other Ausi…..
I’ll keep my focus & positive energy towards you guys & all other fellow Ausi in hope no one gets hurt and go safely through this scary massive weather system . Robert
Old Tue 01 February 2011, 06:29
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Update TC Yasi

Hi Robert - The Brisbane boys are well and truly out of the zone and Pete is clear too by the look of it.
Thanks for your concern - everybody is concerned.

Current threat map looks like a near worst case scenario is set to play out.
The cyclone has intensified to a Category 4 cyclone and is travelling fast at about 34 klm per hour.
At this speed it will probably hold a reasonably steady course but they always remain somewhat unpredictable especially closer to land.
Yasi also looks to be ready to make landfall in the dark adding another layer of complexity for everyone involved.

TC Yasi 01 Feb 10 57 .JPG

Regards
Ross
Old Tue 01 February 2011, 16:13
isladelobos
Just call me: Ros

Canary Islands
Spain
Send a message via MSN to isladelobos Send a message via Yahoo to isladelobos
OH OH !!!! Danger !!!

In 13 November 2012 i go to Australia to see the next total solar eclipse, arround this zone, Port Douglas, Caims.

How do you think about the weather in November in this zone. im thinking in Mount Carbine for see the event.

Link 1
Old Wed 02 February 2011, 01:41
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Hi Ros

Followed your link -very interesting maps of the solar eclipse paths.
In a mere 2 decades or so I can see one in my home town.

The cyclone situation at the moment is just looking shocking as it has intensified to a monster Category 5 System.
Even our normally calm North Queenslanders are not so calm this time.
Now it just a case of sit and wait.
TC Yasi 02 Feb 1800 .JPG

Yasi Sat Image 02 Feb 2011.JPG

Regards
Ross
Old Thu 03 February 2011, 05:03
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
The category 5 cyclone Yasi has now passed the coast and very pleased to say the planning our State authorities had put into place kept all our people safe.
Under the circumstances this is an amazing outcome.

We have seen some television footage of some pretty wide eyed but tough blokes emerging from the wreckage of their homes, freely admitting they had never been so scared.
The one thing they all repeated over and over was the noise of the wind was unimaginable and that nothing could ready you for what it was like.

Like everything these days the idiot fringe is a bit disappointed that we don't have a high body count and more destruction.
To the best of my knowledge none of these number have lost their homes, jobs or are going to spend the next few weeks without power.

Regards
Ross
Old Thu 03 February 2011, 05:13
Robert M

Lac-Brome, Qc
Canada
Good news & glad to see you’re all right !
Cool…. & cool …Robert
Old Thu 03 February 2011, 10:32
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Glad everyone got through it OK!
Old Thu 03 February 2011, 21:21
Red_boards
Just call me: Red #91

Melbourne
Australia
I hear you used your belt to tie yourself to the mechmate to stop yourself blowing away

It's good that the cyclone did not follow its predicted path, but my thoughts are with those where it did hit.
Good to hear you're OK.
Old Thu 03 February 2011, 23:14
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
From the low human casualties, would I be correct in assuming that your buildings are typically constructed of brick & mortar?
Old Fri 04 February 2011, 02:14
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Hi Gerald

The construction is a real mix.
The first and most traditional construction method is an iron roof with single skin VJ pine board or fibro cement on high set stumps.
These are lightweight and provide good ventilation even to the underfloor area.
A lot of these homes have then been enclosed underneath with concrete block work to provide extra living space.
Their are fundamental flaws with building tie down all the way from the bottom plates to the roof battens.
These homes are very subject to racking and will literally fall apart under a dynamic wind load. Uplift forces can also be enormous, literally sucking a roof off the structure.
Even homes at 27 deg South latitude in Brisbane homes of this type are commonly pushed out of square by moderate wind load.

Newer homes are constructed far more solidly and tend to be either slab on ground brick structures or properly braced and tied down lightweight high set homes.
Beach front homes may be reasonably expensive homes however further inland dwellings tend to be far more simple.
We have had significant review of building practices in the light of previous cyclones and have in place a rating system based on potential wind rating.
All new homes in the effected area have been built to a C4 wind rating covering winds of around 310 km/hr.
Extensive research into cyclone damage has been undertaken by our James Cook University and their finding have been progressively included into the building codes.
Garage doors (Roller doors) are looking to still be a weak point in our current building regs as many of these failed allowing subsequent damage to some homes.

Our North Queenslanders are very cyclone savy as most long term residents have experienced numbers of cyclones and know their potential.
This rat cunning and the smarts to evacuate saved the day.
One might think that they would all live in concrete bunkers but this is definitely not the case. Whole towns literally packed up and left and
that is why the loss of life was so low.
None one sits still just waiting to get hit, they batten down then the moment it is over they chip in and help each other well before any emergency people even get there.
The classic was as the SES were literally cutting their way into a town through fallen trees, a local whizzed past clearing the road with a tractor from the opposite direction, like it is done every day

Attached is a pic on one of the older homes in the heavily damaged town of Tully that literally exploded once the building envelope was breached.
Enough said as I'm sure all will agree.

Tully Pic.JPG

Regards
Ross
Old Sat 05 February 2011, 22:46
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Rewiring and Auto Zero Screenset

Spent the last few days rewiring my machine (all of them days !!).
It has been a very circular exercise with only slight modifications from where I started

Anyhow, finally in position to put a few more cables into the machine and try to put the zero plate to bed.
Not content with just a bit of zeroing, I am trying to implement the 2010 screenset on the Mach3 site see http://www.machsupport.com/screens.php
The screen does a two point zero, moves automatically to a tool change position and also can park the gantry out of the way when the job is done.
The author is trying to achieve semi automatic tool changing for those of us who will probably never actually have an ATC.
There is a bug with the latest lockdown version of Mach3 but as the screenset is so new, you have to accept some issues along the way.
They are working on a fix by the way.
Here is the Youtube Video if you are interested, I know I was ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7np99...layer_embedded

I see Skippy and Tony now have their machines in their respective homes.
Gentlemen start your machines .

Also I had no idea Pete (tangocharlie) was so helpfull, if I had known that, I would have had him around doing stuff for me ages ago

Regards
Ross
Old Sun 06 February 2011, 02:25
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Zero Plate Testing

Hi All

After a slow weekend progress wise, I was able to rough in my touch plate and install the Mach3 2010 screenset.
My soldering skills get a tick as the 4N25 optocoupler survived the heat and works well.
The little blue LED on the control box also lights up nicely when an electrical contact is made.

The Mach3 2010 screenset (simple) touch routine does two approaches to the plate once at speed, the next very slowly, to get an accurate reading.
It then retracts 30mm or so to give a clearance plain.

Two videos show the solution in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lYnlm2Pq4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V4BK6DCExo

Thanks again Ries for the circuit.

Regards
Ross
Old Tue 15 February 2011, 16:49
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Need some Good Quality Vector Files for Free? - Read on

A Short note to let you know that Google have been indexing SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) files for a while now.
From the advanced image search choose filetype SVG and the vectors arrive from the web to you on command.

Google SVG Image Search.JPG

SVG does not seem to be widely supported in the CNC software world just yet.
Inkscape will do the format conversions for you to something like EPS or your preferred format.
http://inkscape.org/

This a useful combo of search and conversion and sure beats the labour-intensive search of the vector graphics haunts on the web.

Enjoy
Ross
Old Tue 15 February 2011, 17:21
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Zero Touch Plate(s)

Through a combination of luck and persistence, I now have two working touch plates.
One plate is plugged into the Y car control box when needed.
The second plate is for the moment fixed to the table to the near LHS of the Y axis travel.

I'm pretty sure I did it the hard way but as any plate is touched the little blue LED in the Y car lights.
The optocoupler in the Y car control box electrically protects the Break Out Board from static from both of the plates.

As the machine will eventually rapid around to touch the second plate for tool changes, a modification to the GND wire position was also needed.
The circuit works well when the GND is alligator clipped to the z axis spring, rather than the spindle itself.
My circuit needs the GND wire in place and unlike some will not work if omitted.

Next is to install the limit switches as per Sergio's diagram.
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showt...&postcount=120
It is all ready except for the wires to run to the box with my relays in it.
Should take no longer than say 6 months to complete
The limit switches will use up my last input of pin 11 on my PMDX 122.
If I feel the need to install my cross hair laser, a push switch and a small 3 volt battery pack will be quite adequate for this purpose.
After they go in no more electronics allowed for a while and hopefully I might concentrate on making stuff not making the machine - time will tell !!

Regards
Ross
Old Tue 15 February 2011, 18:28
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Ross,
For the tool change touch off plate, you might want to consider a spring loaded landing pad. This is electrically isolated to the touch plate itself and doesn't require any grounding from the Z-side of the system. like this one...

http://www.k2cnc.com/shop/products.asp?cat=30

But, I have used a high quality MOMentary switch for the same too.
Old Tue 15 February 2011, 19:02
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Hi Sean

I have already ordered one like this to try after looking at what the pros were using.
Could not find what they had but thought I would try a metal switch with a flat button (great minds hey Sean, haha)

Switch.JPG

Thanks for the tip.

Regards
Ross
Old Wed 16 February 2011, 10:31
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Ross,
It takes a bit to get the hysteresis of the switch down pat and figure out what the length of travel is before contact to determine the Zero tool offset. But after that, it works pretty well.

I had to go this route on my multicam after the spindle came back from repair with CERAMIC bearings that left the tool tip non conductive to the rest of the machine.

Have fun!
Sean
Old Wed 16 February 2011, 17:24
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Gidday Sean

By no coincidence the multicam Automatic Z Tool Sensor was what I was looking at and trying to replicate !
Had to look up" hysteresis" but it is certainly the correct term for what you describe.

I am a little suspect on my spindle bearings as I have run them at 24k for long periods during my testing of the Commfront USB adapter.
The specs for a steel bearing appear to top out at about 18K RPM and as I have conductivity through the spindle I definitely have a steel bearing setup .
A ceramic bearing replacement might also be something I would consider if the current set fail, so to plan ahead for this might also be worth my while.

Request for information on Chinese Spindle Bearings

Does anyone know the bearing size for my 2.2 kw water cooled Chinese spindle. It is one of the many sourced from LoveHappyShopping on Ebay.

Secondly has anyone pulled one of these apart, had any experience with bearing changes or can prove a link on the web to someone who has.

Thanks
Ross
Old Wed 16 February 2011, 17:35
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Sean, can't you bypass the ceremic bearing by connecting the +ve signal wire direct from the BOB to your tool bit (with a crocodile clip or something...)?
Old Wed 16 February 2011, 17:38
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Ross,
The metal bearing works just fine at 24Krpm. No worries.
You should ask LoveHappy for the bearing number... I just couldn't find my record of his reply...
Old Wed 16 February 2011, 17:57
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Hi Ken

Thanks for your search on the bearings, I have asked the supplier for the specs.

The alligator clip is fine for the removable plate but the second plate touch is accessed under machine control.
It rapids over to the fixed point and then automatically goes into the probe routine with no user intervention.
The spindle is not spinning at this point but as soon as it gets to the second reference point, it is off to the job and the spindle fires up.
Right about at this point it tears the BOB ground cable from the Y car box if you have not chased it to remove the clip !!!

Regards
Ross

Last edited by Surfcnc; Wed 16 February 2011 at 18:08..
Old Wed 16 February 2011, 19:10
KenC

Klang
Malaysia
Ross,
The 24K rpm thing is from my operating experinece, I run at that speed a lot.
Thanks for elaborating your scenario of the touch off. Interestingly, I have yet to deal with 2nd plate touch off, would you kindly enlighten me the use & the advantages of doing that?
Old Wed 16 February 2011, 19:43
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
Ken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7np99wSr9c8

Ross
Old Wed 16 February 2011, 20:46
smreish

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Ken,
You can and I do this if the spindle is not on a tool changer. When multiple tool bits are considered, I found that the efficiency of the changer was limited if I spent my time manually setting up the changes every tool selection.

This arrangement also let me trick the machine on occasion to the new tool height. (setting the tool on the new part and "touching the button" set the new Zero TOP height) On some machines, the macro for tool height is not as easy as Mach 3 set up is. In MultiCAM world where this first presented a problem, the macro was driven from the membrane keyboard on the machine and was a one-way street on set up. Do it first, and always first - very little flexibility in it's earlier machines.
Old Fri 18 February 2011, 05:07
Surfcnc

Queensland
Australia
VFD Box Changes

Hi All

Spent some time this evening finding a tidy spot for everything in my VFD box and adding some terminal blocks for the wiring.
Ever the one for experimentation, I thought I'd test the envelope and put the USB adapter right next to the VFD inside the VFD box.
Capitalised on the DIN rail mount the adapter has to get it out of the way.
The white thing at the bottom RHS of the box is the exhaust port for the positive pressure enclosure.

All worked a treat ... after I plugged the USB cable into the PC
Still sprinkled some torroids around on the cables just to be sure.

VFD Box.jpg

Running, good visibility in my bespoke VFD box window - 1 RPM short though!

VFD Running.jpg

My luxurious work station, a piece of 4mm ply on a work stand.
Definitely needs improvement but the pic is to show the little self assembled Mini-ITX box that is running Mach3.
The case is tiny, it is an M350 box with a dual core atom inside.

The rest consists of ...
A silicone keypad (got the idea off Skippy). Hong Kong is now selling cordless silicone keypads for around $20 if you are interested.
Logitech Rumblepad 2 cordless game controller.
M505 Logitech cordless laser mouse (tracks very well in comparison to an optical mouse)
17 inch touch screen I made by putting a touch panel into a standard LCD monitor.

That big R2D2 you see on the monitor is displaying on the 2010 screen set I have been playing with.
Work Station.jpg

Another job done but still more to do.

Regards
Ross

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Today's Posts