MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mon 21 June 2010, 20:08
MetalHead
Just call me: Mike

Columbiana AL
United States of America
Sorry to hear that !!! Safety first for sure. We all tend to hum along alone in our shops. So Please be safe and always think that everything in your shop is out to get you!!!

Get well soon !!!
Old Tue 22 June 2010, 14:30
Regnar
Just call me: Russell #69

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Thanks guys. As Mike said everything is out to get you. If you guys have a cell phone keep it in your pocket when you are in the shop or working on different things. It could save you an arm http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=12654571

On another note my supporting wife already bought me a new pair of steel toe shoes. I really only needed a right shoe but the new ones are nicer.
Old Wed 23 June 2010, 09:56
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Accident do happen in a work site. Good thing you had your steel toe one. Wish you a speedy recovery.
Old Wed 23 June 2010, 16:04
domino11
Just call me: Heath

Cornwall, Ontario
Canada
Russel, now that we know you are ok, how did your MM fare?
Old Wed 23 June 2010, 16:34
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
I havent lifted anything or checked for straightness but I have a feeling it did fine. I think it would take a great deal for it to bend anything. Beside my foot cushioned the fall
Old Sat 26 June 2010, 19:36
Mike O.

Lawrenceburg, Indiana
United States of America
Russell, I go away for a couple weeks and you go injuring yourself on me. What am I supposed to do for inspiration??? Sorry to hear about your accident, at least it didn't cost the taxpayers millions like "Glopping Gerdie." On second thought, aren't you in the Coast Guard? Guess its going to cost us taxpayers after all. We really can't afford you Coast Guard guys laid up with BP dumping their profits into the gulf. Anyway, get well soon...
Old Sun 27 June 2010, 11:46
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Mike sorry to disappoint. I was actually looking forward to having a rolling machine by the end of the week but things happen. Its given me a lot of time to read and learn about vacuum pods.

By the way thanks for paying for my foot. Then again I paid for my foot and salary too.
Old Thu 15 July 2010, 19:36
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
I have been drug free for 2 days and was able to wear a shoe for a little bit today. I dont know what a normal person would do but I headed straight for the garage. I managed to get about 2 hours out there before it stated to get really uncomfortable.

First order if business was to clean up and inspect ground zero. This time I will be building the table upside down, dismantle and have some help come over to put it back together rightside up. The one I Beam that fell ended up bending. From end to end it knocked it in a 1/4 inch. I dont think this will be a problem.

I was able to finish cutting all the steel for the table. I still have to drill and tap all the holes. I am bidding on a Tapmatic so we will see if I win. Otherwise the impact wrench is coming out.

I made a welding jig up for tomorrow. It took a few minutes to make and I hope it will keep things lined up while I put tack welds in.

Some photos of todays progress.

EDIT: Almost forgot to tell you the killer deal on leveling feet. I was able to pick up 8 feet for 40 bucks off ebay. They still have sets availible.
EBAY LINK

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01155.JPG (143.3 KB, 1686 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01156.JPG (139.0 KB, 1685 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01157.JPG (144.0 KB, 1681 views)

Last edited by Regnar; Thu 15 July 2010 at 19:43.. Reason: Forgot to tell about a deal.
Old Thu 15 July 2010, 20:24
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Hmm. The leak stops and the foot heals. Verrrry suspicious, me thinks.

Actually, it's great to have you, and/or your table, back on your/it's feet, Russell. Keep up the great work, and it seems totally rational to me to go straight back to the garage
Old Thu 15 July 2010, 21:03
Red_boards
Just call me: Red #91

Melbourne
Australia
Got excited about the feet at $20 for 4. eBay calculated shipping to Australia at a hair under $500!
Good to see you're back on the horse.
Old Thu 15 July 2010, 22:29
KenC
Just call me: Ken

Klang
Malaysia
Good to know you are back on your feet.
You made a good choice to build the table up-side down, a lot safer & less back-breaking. Just make sure you have enough hands & pay extra safety precautions when turning it over, body parts won't stay intact when the table fall on them.
Old Fri 16 July 2010, 03:30
sailfl
Just call me: Nils #12

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Solid looking.... great to see you are back to building
Old Thu 12 August 2010, 17:37
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Well Im back from my Composite School and building away. It was a very slow day. The heat was crazy. It was 93 outside and about 106 in the garage. I had 4 fans blowing on my almost the whole time.

I was able to finish all the welding on the base table. I just need to drill around 100 holes. I was really surprised on how well everything stiffened up when I started to bolt in the cross supports between the legs. They are bolted with 4 1/2 bolts on each side. I welded the nuts on so I dont have to use 2 wrenches install.

I was lucky and found out that the 3" C channel fits very nice in the 4" I beams. I used a solid piece on each side. I drilled the holes in the legs to 3/4" but I could have easily gotten away with 9/16". All the hole lined up perfectly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01410.JPG (137.3 KB, 1631 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01411.JPG (137.1 KB, 1631 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01412.JPG (137.2 KB, 1620 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01413.JPG (147.2 KB, 1624 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01414.JPG (141.3 KB, 1624 views)
Old Fri 13 August 2010, 04:59
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Russell,

The table looks great! You will be cutting in a very short time.
Old Fri 13 August 2010, 11:27
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Thanks Nils.

Well I might not use the leveling feet. After adding on a nut and a base plate it looks like the spoil board would sit right at 36". It seems a little tall. There would be no straining of the eyes or bending over but just a little ackward loading a board. I have to give this some thought. Anyone else come up with pros and cons for the height. Do any of you wish you built yours taller. This was kinda piss poor planning on my part. Owell live and learn. Back to drill some holes.
Old Fri 13 August 2010, 11:39
bradm
Just call me: Brad #10

Somerville(MA)
United States of America
Forgive me for this, Russell, but ...

Six modest size holes in the floor oughta take care of that for ya!

I have to load over the rail, due to limited space. My spoil is at around 32"; the rail is at 38". I generally load by sliding over from a nearby table saw at 35".

Sounds like you'll be no worse off than loading to a table saw.
Old Fri 13 August 2010, 15:05
MetalHead

Columbiana AL
United States of America
You could remove the plates off the botton of your legs and cut them out to recess down inside the legs on the inside of the table just above where the cross braces are bolted in. This would still let you adjust and level the table.
Old Fri 13 August 2010, 20:57
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Just use a tip-and-go loader cut from ply on the mm while your learning to use the table. Shopbot forum
Had the plans sometime ago on their site.
Old Sat 14 August 2010, 05:47
Surfcnc
Just call me: Ross #74

Queensland
Australia
Hi Russell

You are well and truly getting on with your build now I see.
The C channel in the I beam looks nice and solid.
Smart use of materials.

Regards
Ross
Old Wed 25 August 2010, 18:00
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Just a small update.

Last week I was able to get my father over to flip the whole machine over. Had to take it all apart and put it back together. Took about 3 hours. The I beams have been great. Using a tape measure I am comfortable to say that I only have a 1/16 difference from one end to the other but it more like 1/32. Its in-between the marks on the tape.

I did end up mounting the leveling feet and 36" is not bad at all. Infact I think it will be very comfortable as far and not leaning over and working with boards. This might help someone else out to. I used a car jack to lift the whole machine to install the leveling feet. Worked like a charm.

Today I was able to put together the z axis and prep the gantry for welding. I have to work a 24hr shift tomorrow so maybe this weekend I will be able to get to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01417.JPG (142.7 KB, 1485 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01418.JPG (134.5 KB, 1469 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01419.JPG (141.7 KB, 1470 views)
Old Wed 25 August 2010, 18:53
fredjr
Just call me: jimmy #65

pensacola florida
United States of America
update

Russell: Good to see you back on the forum. I think that I have cut on everything flat in my shop. Time to go to the box stores and get some more flat material. Jimmy
Old Fri 27 August 2010, 13:31
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Russell,

Those are some feet!
Old Fri 27 August 2010, 14:18
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Yes they are Nils. They are about 5.25" round. I cut them out of a sheet of 1/2 aluminum and chucked them up in the lathe. I also have some thin rubber on the underside so there will be no sliding across the ground.

Finished welding up the Gantry today and was able to mount the rails on it. Also finished the Y car.

Tomorrow I would like to mount the x rails and all the racks.
Old Sun 29 August 2010, 17:13
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Didnt get to the racks but everything is rolling. I have to say its nice to see the parts pile quickly shrink. I have gained back a whole work bench.

I am really starting to like my height mistake. It looks like I might be able to do tool changes without even bending down. If the table was another 3 inches taller I would have to keep the garage door closed because the Z axis in the full up position would hit it.

For those of you that are building Castones belt drive you will want to weld up your spider a little different. The motor plate lug needs to be welded so that the tab that sticks out is level with the top of the spider. This will allow the motor to swivel without hitting the Y car. I have to figure something something else out.

All in all things are going quick and the build is starting to be a lot of fun.

Some pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01420.JPG (143.3 KB, 1381 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01421.JPG (143.2 KB, 1380 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01422.JPG (145.2 KB, 1377 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01423.JPG (137.4 KB, 1371 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01424.JPG (144.3 KB, 1369 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01425.JPG (142.1 KB, 1370 views)
Old Mon 30 August 2010, 04:55
sailfl

Winter Park, FL
United States of America
Russell,

Very nice and sturdy. The rest of the build is going to go quickly. You will be cutting in September. Road trip.

Don't be having the workman standing around when you take the pictures??????!!!!

What color are you painting it?
Old Mon 30 August 2010, 05:40
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Last pic, nearest legs, right side, that 001700 A992 marking . . . .

Suggest you try and wipe that marking off with thinners before spraypainting. We very often find that those types of markings bleed through spray paint and multiple coats just don't kill them.
Old Mon 30 August 2010, 14:26
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Nils, The build is going to have to go on hold for awhile after this week. I have to go to the Bahamas again. Im hoping for early November being done with everything.

The color is going to be Gloss Tractor Ford Gray. I have a gallon left over from a friends project that I will be using. He bought 2 gallons for a small project and left the left over with me.

Thanks Gerald. I will get it off. The primer that I am using wants me to knock off all the rust so I planned on sanding everything and wipe it down with some thinner.
Old Wed 20 October 2010, 10:43
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Well I just remember what tool I hate the most. Its a Paint Brush. The primer was suppose to be hand painted but I gave up on that after 10 minutes. Broke out the spray gun and had at it. Took about 10 minutes to prime everthing. Its taking about 2 days for it to harden all the way. Hoping to be done painting by Saturday. Some progress photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01538.JPG (143.0 KB, 1204 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01537.JPG (145.1 KB, 1198 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01536.JPG (143.2 KB, 1200 views)
Old Wed 20 October 2010, 10:53
smreish
Just call me: Sean - #5, 28, 58 and others

Orlando, Florida
United States of America
Man Russell - that is one stout table....makes me want to mount and industrial robot on top for some really exciting 5 axis work.
Old Wed 20 October 2010, 15:43
Regnar

Mobile, Alabama
United States of America
Yeah I might have gone a little overboard. Wait until its all together.

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read