MechMate CNC Router Forum

Go Back   MechMate CNC Router Forum > Personal Build Histories > MechMates already cutting
Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Thu 10 May 2007, 13:44
Mike Richards
Just call me:

Hugo, I use a 12VDC transformer with my PMDX-122 without any problem. The PMDX uses a 7805 voltage regulator to reduce the voltage to 5VDC on the board. The regulator has to drop the excessive voltage in the form of heat, so the higher the voltage that you supply to the card, the more heat is produced. I've often left my PMDX powered on for several days on my test bench without any heat problems. If something drastic happened and somehow the 7805 regulator burned up, you could replace it for about $1.00 and two or three minutes with a soldering iron.

The 7805 needs to have a little excessive voltage in order to work. Normally, when I'm building a process control computer, I use a 6VAC transformer through a bridge rectifier to produce about 9VDC that I feed to the 7805 voltage regulator. I think that the designer of the PMDX used the same rule-of-thumb when he specified 9V.

You've got a really nice layout! All of the work looks professional.

It's hard to trouble-shoot electronics on a forum, but there are a few things that I always check. First, I find where the power stops, meaning that I check power at the output of the 'disconnect' switch, then I check power at the output of the 'contactor', and then at both the input and the output of the transformer. Next, I check power going into the PMDX-8020 power supply and power coming out of the power supply. Anyway, you get the idea. If you can tell us what has power and where the power stops, we might be able to give you some hints. Just one quick question. How do you turn on your 'contactor'? In the photos I didn't see any wires leading to any switches. I just assumed that you did that wiring after you took the photos. I also assumed that you wired the steppers to the G203s after you took the photos.

Can you also tell us exactly how you wired the outputs on the toroid transformer? When I first connected a toroid, I connected the outputs wrong so that one winding actually nulled out the other winding. No harm was done, but I stood there scratching my head for a few minutes wondering what had happened.

-Mike
Old Thu 10 May 2007, 13:55
Robert Masson
Just call me:

Congratulation for your efforts !
Neat & clean!. The bar is getting higher in the quality built dept.
It gives me more & more the twitch to go ahead with my built.
Keep up the good work & hopping to see more of your built !
Amicalement,
Robert
Old Thu 10 May 2007, 15:52
Hugo Carradini
Just call me:

Hello friends.
Thanks for all your comments, they keep me stimulated to do my best.
Mike I will post next week the rest of my connections after I take this weekend off. What I did with the transformer was connecting directly 120 volt to the input 2x115 VAC BLK/WTH and BRN/ORN and make a lecture in the output RED/YEL and BLU/GRY (like the label in the transformer says about the cables connection) but would not show nothing.
I guess that if every thing was OK I should have a lecture. Yes, I cheked that I had 120 volts in the input.
Hugo C.
Old Thu 10 May 2007, 16:37
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Hugo, I cannot see your pictures on this stupid hotel's "internet". . . . .

Already I wrote something about the high voltage for the PMDX, but I cannot use Search here either. I think that 12V is okay. Check if the " heatsink" on the PMDX to feel if it gets too hot to touch. (this was the advice from the PMDX company)
Old Sun 13 May 2007, 11:51
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Hugo, I can see your pictures now, and I agree with everyone else that you have nice workmanship.

But I think there is a big problem with the size.....

If that main (back) plate fits exactly into the box, then you have positioned the components too near to the edges of the plate. There is no space for the cables/wires on the edges. For example, how will the printer cable get to the the PMDX-122? (That cable has a big connector).
Old Mon 14 May 2007, 08:11
Hugo Carradini
Just call me:

Hello Gerald.
I made a mistake with the back plate and have it cut 50 mm smaller in the length than the original design. That?s why things are a little to close each other. Beside that, I have 50 mm free around all the box and the plate. I will be sending you new pictures of close up of the connections. Hope you are having a nice time in your travel,
Regards
Hugo Carradini
Old Mon 14 May 2007, 08:56
Gerald_D
Just call me:

Hi Hugo, got home just after midnight this morning. Glad to hear you have space all around inside the box. Here is the proper answer for the transformer voltage.
Old Sat 19 May 2007, 12:50
Hugo Carradini
Just call me: Hugo

Pto. Ordaz
Venezuela
Cool

Hello Gerald. All I want to share with you and the rest of friends (while you get this forum strait out), is that my motors are moving beautifully. I know you need good news now and hope this are good news for you.
Regards
Old Sat 19 May 2007, 13:41
Admin
Just call me: Mike

Alabama
United States of America
I really like good news like this!

Thanks!
Old Mon 21 May 2007, 18:52
Hugo Carradini

Pto. Ordaz
Venezuela
Gerald I fix my steps in Mach fallowing your formula. Motors move sow quiet that I am surprised, just a little buzz and a nice warm on the surface off the motors and I can run a G-code with the x slave motor running synchronized. Now I started to add the rest of the connections . I installed the SSR to a bulb and to the PMDX-122. When I turn the main switch the bulb starts simultaneously. I thought that the bulb should not light on before the PMDX-122 authorized it unless I made a wrong connection (99.75 % possibilities thats the reason) I know you said did not had experience with that device , but normally you always end with the appropriate answer.
There goes some pictures of what I did.

Old Mon 21 May 2007, 23:06
Gerald D
Just call me: Gerald (retired)

Cape Town
South Africa
Regarding your relay.....let us forget about it first!

The first thing to check is whether the green "output" LED's (lights) on the PMDX-122 are working correctly, according to the commands from Mach3?

Then you can check whether the relay is corresponding to the output of the PMDX-122. If your relay is "opposite" to that output (ON when PMDX is OFF and vice versa), then go to Mach3 Ports & Pins and change the Active High/Low setting for that pin.
Old Tue 22 May 2007, 10:39
Hugo Carradini

Pto. Ordaz
Venezuela
Gerald I install Pause and Resume and are working nice. This is looking better every new day. Will start welding Y gantry tomorrow.
Thanks amigo.
Old Wed 23 May 2007, 09:04
Hugo Carradini

Pto. Ordaz
Venezuela
Hello Gerald and friends. I finished installing my electronic basics and every thing runs fine. Router under control and basics directions like pause, resume and e-stop all sow. Been running programs for the last 5 hrs with no problem. Commands will work correctly all the time.
Thanks Gerald. It is an honor to be guide by you.

Old Wed 23 May 2007, 09:28
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
All good news!

1. Can you tell us why your router relay was not working correctly the first time?

2. We find that the Pause button has a reaction time that is too slow. I have discussed it on the Mach forums and for a long time they all said it cannot be changed. (See some more in this forum) But they are beginning to understand why the router people want a quicker pause than the people cutting metal. Some day soon we will have a good "Pause" from Mach. We can discuss this in the other thread.

3. You have used very thick wires between the Gecko's and the PMDX-122. The current carried there is tiny and very thin wire is sufficient. However, when currents in wires are very small, then they pick up interference very easily. I actually used screened cable for that short distance. It is also a good idea to keep those wires/cables as far away as possible from heavy current wires (steppers & power supply) - especially do not tie the signal wires to the power wires in a tight parallel bundle. I think you have that danger with that other PMDX board that you are using.
Old Wed 23 May 2007, 10:33
Hugo Carradini

Pto. Ordaz
Venezuela
1. Gerald the problem was that I had not checked correctly the out put. (I guess I was waiting it to work automatically) so now I understand la lot better how the inputs and out put work. Same for the pause and resume.

3. Those are cables I had around and use just to connect the system momentary. I will use similar screened cables recommended by you as soon I import them. I will take care to separate the signal and the power cables.

Hope to start welding this afternoon.
Regards
Old Sat 26 May 2007, 07:53
Hugo Carradini

Pto. Ordaz
Venezuela
Hello Gerald and friends.
I went shopping for my steel and could not find the exact dimension according to the drawings.
For the rail they had 650*50 or 650*70 żRecommendation?
For 10 20 440 instead of 100*50 they have 100*40 żProblem in strength and assembling?
Thanks for your help
Old Sat 26 May 2007, 08:57
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Hi Hugo

Saturdays are not good for steel shopping here - all the big stockists only work for 5 days in the week, Monday to Friday.

The "rails" you speak about, 650mm long by 50 (or 70) wide are confusing me. Have you got a part number please?

The tubes 10 20 440......If your Y dimension is relatively short, we can force some things in the design to accept the 100*40 tubes, but it won't be pretty. The biggest problem will be the connection to part 10 20 454. There will be a 5mm gap on each side.

Suggest you ask the steel supplier if they can order 100*50 for you. It might take a week to arrive, but it will be easier to work with.
Old Sun 27 May 2007, 10:47
Hugo Carradini

Pto. Ordaz
Venezuela
Gerald sorry for not been careful writing. The option I got for the rails is 65mm*65mm*5mm or 65mm*65mm*7mm.
We don't have many options around here.
I will keep searching for my 10 20 440 100mm*50mm tube. My table is for boards 1.200mm*3.400mm, official measure of MDF in my country.
Thanks
Old Sun 27 May 2007, 10:53
Marc Shlaes
Just call me: Marc

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Send a message via Skype™ to Marc Shlaes
MDF is 3.4 meters long in Venezuela! Wow! That would be useful. How heavy is it? Must be hard to carry.
Old Sun 27 May 2007, 10:58
Hugo Carradini

Pto. Ordaz
Venezuela
Sorry Marc, thinking in Spanish and converting to English is confusing some times
MDF is 1.200*2.400
Old Sun 27 May 2007, 11:00
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Hugo, both the 5mm and 7mm will be okay for you. I think if I had that choice, I would choose the 5mm. Have you already got a digital caliper? Can you measure the angle iron? I am suspicious of that 7mm - it is completely unusual.

If your Y axis is only for 1200mm boards, then I think 100x40 is okay. Maybe make a few more phone calls in the week to find 100x50? Can you get 2mm thick walls?
Old Sun 27 May 2007, 14:18
Marc Shlaes

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Hugo,

Too bad, I thought that would be GREAT. Oh well. I know the translation issues. I travel all over the world for business. Seems like you do very well to me.

Buenos Tardes!

Marc
Old Sat 02 June 2007, 11:35
Hugo Carradini

Pto. Ordaz
Venezuela
Hello Gerald and friends. I got my 100*50*2 (they are not so common out here) and also the 65mm angle 6mm thick (Gerald I confirm there is a 65mm x 65mm x 7mm angle) I also got a nice place in a friends factory to continue building my machine so I am moving there next Monday. I got a nice deal with my pinions and my angles will be ready next week. There are no CNC machines around so I am having good deals because people wants to see it finish. Well friends I had to say something to keep calm while the time to move and keep going arrives.
Regards
Hugo Carradini
Old Sat 02 June 2007, 11:49
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Maybe I must also come to see it! . . . . . . . .

From Wikipedia:
"Puerto Ordaz is a planned city which, together with the older settlement of San Felix, forms Ciudad Guayana in Bolívar State, eastern Venezuela. Puerto Ordaz is located at the confluence of the Caroní and Orinoco Rivers and is the site of the Llovizna Falls. There are bridges across the Caroni and a new bridge across the Orinoco (Second Orinoco crossing).
It is one of Venezuela's largest cities and is the base for large iron and steelworks and aluminium industries. The city has a large hydroelectric power plant, Macagua. Due to its planned nature, the city has a drastically different feel to it than many other South American cities. Many of its residential neighboorhoods have architecture and landscaping that are similar to suburbs in the United States in the 1950's, including 'cookie cutter' homes, sidewalks, and patterned lawns."
Old Sat 02 June 2007, 12:33
Hugo Carradini

Pto. Ordaz
Venezuela
Ajaaaa. Well I hope you understand that planing a trip down here is a must, so start planing. You already have a place to stay, good meals and a new friend, more when I got some plans..... for the near future.
Regards
Hugo Carradini
P.D. ¿Can you believe there is no CNC machines down here? The most they have are pantograph's . Only CNC in very few mills and turners that costs and eye if you want something done.
Old Sat 02 June 2007, 13:10
Gerald D

Cape Town
South Africa
Hugo, when you received your laser cut plates, you must have realised the power and economy of CNC. Accurate, low-cost cutting.

We are in the digital age for commerce, design, photography, communications, art and it is completely logical that factory production becomes digital.

However, people change their habits slowly. When your machine is ready and running, you still have to teach your customers what this machine can do for them....this is the most difficult part of the project!
Old Tue 24 July 2007, 12:04
Hugo Carradini

Pto. Ordaz
Venezuela
Hello Gerald and friends. Like I said before I am fixing a place to work comfortableness and if I get certificated, I hope will be a Mechmate home in Venezuela. Having machined parts made here are very slow because there is a lot of work and not sufficient shops.
Here are some pictures of my new working area (the place is owned by a close friend with no rent for the first year) and some machines I can use any time I need. (yes I know is OK to have good friends)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Imagen 01.jpg (133.9 KB, 951 views)
File Type: jpg Imagen 02.jpg (165.2 KB, 953 views)
File Type: jpg Imagen 03.jpg (154.3 KB, 948 views)
File Type: jpg Imagen 04.jpg (146.4 KB, 950 views)
Old Tue 24 July 2007, 12:33
Hugo Carradini

Pto. Ordaz
Venezuela
This is the area I am fixing and getting organized, fixed and painted. The trailer will be use, half as deposit for miscellaneous and half with air conditioned for assembling and storing electronics parts and a place for taking a café once a wile (it can be pretty hot some times up here) and some parts that I have been working out. I am missing the rails (found a shop that have a big milling machine that can make the rails in three steps with out moving the angle)I will get them next week, all sow the four pinions will be ready next week. Still looking for the gas lift.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Imagen M1.jpg (141.0 KB, 945 views)
File Type: jpg Imagen M2.jpg (154.8 KB, 947 views)
File Type: jpg Imagen M3.jpg (163.3 KB, 946 views)
Old Tue 24 July 2007, 12:35
Hugo Carradini

Pto. Ordaz
Venezuela
Some work coming out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Imagen Mechmate V1.jpg (121.8 KB, 960 views)
File Type: jpg Imagen Mechmate V2.jpg (119.3 KB, 953 views)
File Type: jpg Imagen Mechmate V3.jpg (128.0 KB, 955 views)
Old Tue 24 July 2007, 12:49
Marc Shlaes

Cleveland, OH
United States of America
Looks like Hugo got the color right! Art... Just kidding!

Register Options Profile Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read