MechMate CNC Router Forum

MechMate CNC Router Forum (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php)
-   30. Y-Car (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Setting all four wheels tight (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4219)

rkd Sun 29 September 2013 20:34

Setting all four wheels tight

Hi there. I am setting up my y car right now and I have a problem with only 3 wheels makin solid contact. The 4th is just above the rail. I can push it tight with 1 finger. I have maxed out the adjustments in the slotted hole.
Will the 2 springs be strong enough to bring that 4th wheel down full time? Or should I look into enlarging one of the holes? Or is there a procedure I haven't read yet about twisting the y car straight, similar to the gantry?
Thanks in advance, Ryan

lonestaral Sun 29 September 2013 22:25

How big is the gap ?

If it is a small gap you could elongate a hole.

Put a spirit level on top of the car to check which hole needs adjusting.

Some of the more experienced builders might have a different approach.
Hang on for some more replies.

rkd Sun 29 September 2013 22:44

Thanks. The gap is quite small. A couple of millimetres maybe. I honestly didn't spend a lot of time on it this afternoon. I had a long day in the shop and was pretty tired by the time I got to this point so I just left it. I'll have a fresh look at it tomorrow and see what I can figure out.
Seems to me that I read somewhere on here that Gerald had said that if the offending wheel can be seated by pressing on that corner with one finger, then the motor and idler spring should keep it all tight. I might have that mixed up though, I've read through so many posts lately I can't keep it all straight.

smreish Mon 30 September 2013 09:31

Ryan,
It is true that if the gantry seats with very minimal pressure from your finger, then the hold down springs on the motor plate should be enough.

If not, many options are available to seat the last vee wheel.

Keep us posted.

rkd Mon 30 September 2013 16:52

Ok I got it sorted. I was tired and not looking at everything properly. I was fixated on lowering the last wheel and trying to figure out how to get it past it's max adjustment, I didn't even notice that I could just lower the other wheel to bring them both in contact. :o
Oh well. Teach me for working way past tired.
This gantry and y car roll so smooth for how heavy they are. It was fun for a bit to push it back and forth admiring it.

smreish Tue 01 October 2013 08:00

Glad you got it sorted out.
A fresh set of eyes always prevail after a good rest.

Cheers.

MetalHead Tue 01 October 2013 13:03

Yeah - we call that the smoke break effect :) !!!

lonestaral Tue 01 October 2013 17:57

" It was fun for a bit to push it back and forth admiring it."

I know the feeling.
Like your first pair of roller skates.

Good to hear you got sorted.

Kornerking Fri 04 March 2016 14:44

Did some of the rolling today myself.

IamDave Tue 19 December 2017 18:05

Rolling was good.