MechMate CNC Router Forum

MechMate CNC Router Forum (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php)
-   MechMates already cutting (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Etching Glass and Cribbage Boards #52 - Fort Ripley MN USA (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2449)

Drad98_98 Tue 22 December 2009 20:29

Etching Glass and Cribbage Boards #52 - Fort Ripley MN USA

5 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,
Wanting to start a new MechMate build in Minnesota. Have previous experience with CNC. Built a 5' x 6' CNC plasma and refurbed a 2' x 4' MDF CNC router. I attached a few pics of what I have done so far, looking for you insight during this build.

P.S. Rad Racer is my brother so should be going quite quickly when the money shows up, lol.

Drad98_98 Tue 22 December 2009 21:02

A little more info i guess. If you look at Rad Racers build history you see me, mainly the one covered in Ford blue powder:( Anyways we used the plasma to cut out his cyclone, it is working very good. The design for the plasma was just mine, I wanted to be able to cut 4' x 4' sheet. Rad Racer helped my with all the electronics and I did all the mechanical work (well with a little help). I think I am going to look to sell the plasma to generate money for the router MechMate. Wood is so much cleaner then plasma smoke and powdercoating. I will keep you guys updated.

P.S. Sorry about the mess in the plasma pics, always seem to have too much crap in the shop! :D

domino11 Tue 22 December 2009 21:34

Welcome Dave, I dont mind some mess in the shop. Come and see mine some time, it will make you feel a lot better. :)

Kobus_Joubert Tue 22 December 2009 23:18

Nice looking Mach3 screen.. is this customised ? I noticed the STATUS message at the bottom saying 'Too fast for pulley...using Max' . I have the same message...machine is working fine, but maybe the Mach3 guru's can explain and suggest a possible fix.

Drad98_98 Wed 23 December 2009 01:09

Thanks Kobus,
The M3 screen is just the MachBlue screen downloaded from Mach3. I think the error msg is something with spindle speed (which I dont use),not configed right.

Drad98_98 Wed 23 December 2009 01:15

First cut with old router

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, it 2am and just got my first 3d project done, lots of figuring out software but here it is.
It is 2.5" x 3" with .100 relief, the letters are about .25" high.
Off to bed til tomorrow so I can play again.

Rad Racer Wed 23 December 2009 12:01

Hey, I recognize that cnc machine.....have you been shopping in my garage again:)

Good looking sign, welcome to MechMate.

Drad98_98 Wed 23 December 2009 13:47

Your garage is the best place to shop!

Drad98_98 Tue 05 January 2010 21:15

Ordering profile parts

Gonna order my profile parts next week from Metalhead. Gotta start sooner or later, actually really looking forward to this build.

Drad98_98 Mon 11 January 2010 18:00

Started the new MechMate in Minnesota, USA

Well guys I ordered my profile parts from metalhead today and have my steel list to bring to the steel yard tomorrow, need to special order the c channel so hopefully I have it by Friday. Time to start welding the table this weekend.
Looking forward to it after countless hours reading everyones build threads but I learned alot and I know there will be questions, so thanks in advance to everyone and a special thanks to Gerald for the plans and your "upcoming" help.

jhiggins7 Mon 11 January 2010 18:04

Welcome Dave.

Sounds like you are well on your way.

Good luck on your build. And don't forget to post pictures of your build progress.:D

domino11 Mon 11 January 2010 18:31

Welcome Dave,

You sound well planned. Good Luck. :)

jehayes Tue 12 January 2010 14:26

Dave: Welcome to the club. Can you really weld in Minnesota in January? I thought the arc would freeze before completing the circuit!:D Looking forward to your pictures. Joe

domino11 Tue 12 January 2010 14:29

Joe, I am further North than Dave, we weld here all the time in the winter. If we didn't, nothing would get done for 6 months. :)

Drad98_98 Tue 12 January 2010 15:38

Joe, Even tho it is -28f it is still a nice toasty 65 in my shop :)
Ordered the steel for the table today, it will be here tomorrow (gotta love the supplier in my town). Hopefully start welding Thursday and I promise many pics.

Drad98_98 Thu 14 January 2010 14:56

Picked up the steel today.

2 Attachment(s)
Well I picked up all the steel needed to construct the machine, got a great price from my steel supplier, $685 USD. Cant believe this pile of steel will turn into such an incredible working machine, Thanks again Gerald for the design.

Gerald D Thu 14 January 2010 22:36

Is that a plasma cutter on the right side of the last pic? The paint colour will pass! :)

Drad98_98 Fri 15 January 2010 07:40

It is a cnc plasma cutter, DIY and where do you think I got the idea for the color? ;)

Drad98_98 Fri 15 January 2010 11:26

Profile parts are here

1 Attachment(s)
Profile parts showed up today from Metalhead, awesome quality parts and he also threw in some extra goodies, THANKS again metalhead. Well, laying out the drill hole pattern for the main beams, cross members, y stage etc... gonna be a busy day but excited to get started, hopefully have a good start by the end of the weekend. One bonus thing about my job (well good and bad) is that it is seasonal, I am a heavy equipment operator so here in Minnesota we have to take the winter off until the ground thaws, this gives me lots of time to get this project completed. Well, better get back to the project, I will keep you guys updated

jehayes Fri 15 January 2010 11:30

Dave: You are really moving along, Keep this up and you'll be cutting before the pond melts! Thanks for the pics. Joe

Drad98_98 Fri 15 January 2010 12:56

1 Attachment(s)
Getting everything laid out. Just a rough layout to get centers of main beam and rail

jehayes Fri 15 January 2010 13:12

Don't forget, The cross beams are offset towards one end! (Gerald will ding you if you lay them out symmetrically!:D)

Drad98_98 Fri 15 January 2010 14:23

those cross members are just there to hold up the main beams while i drill them, they get kinda tippy alone.

Drad98_98 Sun 17 January 2010 09:46

Machine starting to take shape

3 Attachment(s)
After a good day of work here is my progress so far. Starting to look familar :D

Gerald D Sun 17 January 2010 11:04

You have a nice team of helpers there . . . be finished by Spring? :)

Drad98_98 Sun 17 January 2010 11:17

Hope to be done by spring, Rad Racer #25 (Wayne, my brother) is a big help on this project since he is a seasoned Mechmate builder. One thing I do have is time (seasonal worker) so I am hopeful it will be done fairly quickly.

Gerald D Sun 17 January 2010 11:48

I thought there was a familiar face there! :)

We can see Dave & Wayne in this post

Drad98_98 Mon 18 January 2010 19:55

2 Attachment(s)
Finished off the Y car this weekend, here are a cpl pics

Gerald D Mon 18 January 2010 20:24

Aircon, TV and radio all in one pic - that's a nice corner of the workshop! :)

There must be a beer fridge under the bench? :D

Robert M Tue 19 January 2010 04:30

I bet the stove is to keep the Pizza warm while …. :rolleyes: