MechMate CNC Router Forum

MechMate CNC Router Forum (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php)
-   Introduce yourself and start planning (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Hi from Cape Town (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5118)

Gien Sun 25 October 2015 14:29

Hi from Cape Town

Hi everyone,

I'm here to explore building of a MM

pblackburn Mon 26 October 2015 14:08

Read, read, read. That is the single best advise I can give you. It is a great project if you are willing and is very rewarding. Welcome to the forum.

Sinbad Mon 26 October 2015 18:04

The one thing i have struggled with so far is the determination of the correct setup of the gantry (correct length of tubes, and ensuring square before welding).

The table size is also tricky but there is room for some error if you go slightly larger than the spoil board material.

pblackburn Mon 26 October 2015 19:33

The length of the tube is given in the plans and is made a little over to shim to the correct distance. As far as squaring, there is numerous avenues to make up for the gantry being pulled out of square from welding. Drilling the tubes after the gantry is welded and set in place is one, slotting the rails is another, c-clamps and flexing the gantry is another and these are only the ones to start. The table crossbearer locations can cause some confusion without studying the plans thoroughly but is something that works out.

Sinbad Mon 26 October 2015 23:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblackburn View Post
The length of the tube is given in the plans and is made a little over to shim to the correct distance. As far as squaring, there is numerous avenues to make up for the gantry being pulled out of square from welding. Drilling the tubes after the gantry is welded and set in place is one, slotting the rails is another, c-clamps and flexing the gantry is another and these are only the ones to start. The table crossbearer locations can cause some confusion without studying the plans thoroughly but is something that works out.
Yes i admit that more time needs to be invested studying the plans - and this is the point, which is, alot of research needs to be done before embarking on the build.

Alan_c Tue 27 October 2015 00:56

The plans are exactly that, a plan! this is not an instructable with every step set out and detailed to account for every persons individual requirements. Like any engineering plan, time must be spent studying, analysing and understanding exactly what you want to achieve before starting.

Tom Ayres Tue 27 October 2015 02:51

Welcome Gien :)

lonestaral Tue 27 October 2015 05:16

Welcome.
There are many Mechmates.
They may share common features but all are different , all are unique.

You must decide what you want to build.
What will you use it for?

Sheet goods,8 x 4 ply /mdf (Vacuum hold down)

Cabinet making/ dovetails ( vertical location and size of drawer frames)

4th/ rotary axis work.

Boat/ aircraft components ( extended X Axis)

Art/ carving (smaller axis travel)

Many factors to consider.
I wish you happy ponderings.

Gien Tue 27 October 2015 07:37

Hi guys,

thanks for all the welcomes? Any gals here? Or are we fulfilling the engineering stereotype of mostly males here?

I'm investigating using it to build my new eco-home and going the open source, circular design, digital fabrication route...something like the DIY version of:

http://facit-homes.com/

building cassettes that can be easily assembled.

I'll be doing a lot of experimentation on our home, including using hempcrete and bamboo. The digital fabrication part will be in one part of the home. I am getting ideas from Facit but also from Wikihouse:

http://www.wikihouse.cc/

I like Wiki house though because they don't even have nails...just like lego blocks.

So my idea is to see how to plan the house so that I can build the CNC router first, then use it to build the lego blocks of the digitally fabricated house.

servant74 Tue 27 October 2015 23:35

Mostly guys, but we keep the rhetoric so hopefully any lady builders are welcome.

As noted, these plans are not 'step by step' directions with howto steps, but some good diagrams for parts to make the pieces and put a MM together.

If you want more hand holding, the forum is typically willing to provide guidance. If you find a Builder in your area (I know they are in SA, but my SA geography is pretty poor) visit them or have them visit you if you really get stuck or just want to discuss things face to face. Most folks are cordial so you will probably be welcomed.

One thing keeping me from going on is a place to put it. You need an area for the MM large enough to fit it plus some access area all around, and stock access on one dimension (typically the X dimension) so that means clean floor space (not typical in shops I have had ... sadly). All this is in addition to other shop area. The MM isn't a good assembly table, so that and any other surfaces are needed plus access too. The MM doesn't move around really easily, but it can be moved if need be.

Also, enough power and light to make it a safe, fun atmosphere to work in. Good dust collection for chips/dust is a great safety feature that also takes up room, that is not included in the MM plans (lots of discussion in the forums about it).

If you need everything laid out exactly for you, probably buying a commercial unit is more your style. But if saving money and making things like YOU want them are your style, this is a good place to be.

We all look forward to your build! ... Take care.

hennie Tue 27 October 2015 23:37

I built my table for 9 x 6 sheets and hardly ever use it to its full size Should have done a 8x4 table size as all my bamboo sheets are 8x4 rest of the table is for scrap.

smreish Wed 28 October 2015 05:34

...But you are not the only lady in the group. A Mechmate was solo built by a nice lass in Atlanta, GA, USA a few years back.

hennie Wed 28 October 2015 06:04

Lot of old timers from a few years back nog al.:)

smreish Mon 02 November 2015 12:17

:) Hennie!