MechMate CNC Router Forum

MechMate CNC Router Forum (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous / General / Whatever / Catchall (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Inspired by Multicam, Y Car Mounted - Randers, Denmark (http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175)

Robert Masson Sun 06 May 2007 12:08

Hi Kim,

Thanks for those pics.
They will help me as I plan to build one soon.
I?ll follow your progression as an inspiration.
Good luck,
Robert

Kim Mortensen Sun 06 May 2007 12:10

thx robert, I will be posting more pictures in the near future...

Hugo Carradini Sun 06 May 2007 18:15

Hello Kim.
Keep those post coming.
Nice work.
Hugo Carradini

Marc Shlaes Sun 06 May 2007 19:23

Kim,

Which rail grinding method did you use?

Kim Mortensen Mon 07 May 2007 01:43

I had my father make them on a grinding machine at his work... :-D

Kim Mortensen Sat 12 May 2007 19:04

Just wanted to show people what I'm using at work to cut my laser parts for the mechmate...

a 5 Kw Armada Laser with Fanuc Resonator, soon to be replaced by a newer version with a mitsubishi Resonator instead...
http://www.mechmate.com/Forum/messages/329/15218.jpg

IN-WondeR Mon 21 May 2007 04:39

Just letting everyone know

This is my new username, my normal Internet Call sign...

Kim Mortensen

IN-WondeR Fri 08 June 2007 18:03

Well

1 Attachment(s)
Finally I'm off to an even better thing than just building the mechmate.

Now I'm even getting my own milling machine. And it's a big one too...

In two month's time I will get this 1700kg big machine home into my garage..

And that's for the low price of around 1100 Dollars US...

And offcourse it will be retrofitted with either steppers og servoes and made a full CNC again...

IN-WondeR Tue 12 June 2007 11:34

Thing's are happening now.

2 Attachment(s)
I have just mounted the 2 20mm partical boards onto the crosse bearers, damn this is gonne be a big machine.

I have also started mounting, marking and drilling the main beams onto the cross bearers after squaring it all in... Look at the pictures...

Gerald D Tue 12 June 2007 12:36

Yes, it is going to be a big machine . . . .

Just be careful with those heavy beams balanced there - the driver of the tricycle may want to climb up and then pull the beam down . . . .

IN-WondeR Tue 12 June 2007 15:19

The Trike is mine, what are you implying.... :D:D
Just kidding, the beams have been removed again for drilling and tapping 10mm boltholes....

Hugo Carradini Wed 13 June 2007 15:00

Nice work Kim. You are going fast. I am fixing the shop where I just moved to build my "Beast" . I hope to reach your progress soon:D
Keep posting those nice pictures.

IN-WondeR Thu 14 June 2007 09:59

Today I made some progress again.

The Main beams are now securely fastened to the crossbearers, all bolts have been loctited in the tapered holes, so now they shoul not move again unless I screw them out, The Legs are next to be mounted, and the stabillisers for the legs are to be fabricated after that. So all in all, in a little week I can take down from the supports and set it on the floor, I have gotten 4 rubber machine mounts to put on the floor, and 1 16mm bolt to go right through the leg and into the machine mounts for ease of adjustment to get it level all the way around...

When this is done, then it's on with the angle irons and mounting these... Ohh it's so nice with a little summer... :D

Gerald D Thu 14 June 2007 10:43

You sound happy. Good! :)

IN-WondeR Sat 16 June 2007 06:41

Ok, then. Now the rack and pinions have been purchased.
32 feet of rack, and 4 pinions for the small price of around $120 US...

Again, a dad is nice to have... They can get things for small prices...

Gerald D Sat 16 June 2007 07:33

Hope you are going to treat your dad well tomorrow.

(Sean, hope you can see how SOME children appreciate their fathers. :))

IN-WondeR Sat 16 June 2007 10:25

I have also recieved my cablechain, so now I have this in the house too...
The PMDX Breakout card has also arrived, but damn customs, the just made the board be almost 50% more expensive than I had anticipated.

The Card was 81 dollars, but customs here in Denmark add tax for the card, and by god also for the shipping, that's stealing I think,...

Gerald D Sat 16 June 2007 10:50

Be glad they allowed you to get it at all. I don't think the PMDX stuff is completely free of lead? Europe banned lead in July last year.

IN-WondeR Tue 26 June 2007 10:31

a little update...

3 Attachment(s)
Been making some stuff on the machine..
Hard work, and tired I am when I'm staying in the garage 3 hours a day... And goinig to work every night, but it slowly takes more and more shape...
I have also been making homemade I beams for my new garage... The first 6 are done, and need only be made the right lengthe now, warning, they take quite some time to make... but atleast I have made them in the excact dimensions of the real IPE 120 beams....

IN-WondeR Mon 17 September 2007 15:34

Update....

Project is standing still a bit, having to many things going at one time is not as smart as it should have been.
But on the bright side, I'm going to be playing with my electrics soon, have just recieved a shipment of no less than 15 centent CNO162 Microstepping drives... And at a bargain to... So looking forward to finding out how many is in fully working condition and how many might have a few snags to work out first... But for the small prise of $24.99 a piece, then I think I can afford to have one or two that won't work...
Next is building the Power supply's and such. and having the kitchen counter project started.... :-D

IN-WondeR Wed 12 December 2007 12:12

1 Attachment(s)
More parts have arrived for the mechmate now...

Electrical parts, motors, Centent's and Torroid for the PS, cabinet for the controlsystem. Next up is the capacitors for the PS and 2 E-stop buttons.
The motors are 665oz-in Pacific Scientific PowerPack Steppers... The Torroid is 1.15kW at 49 Volt unloaded, and loaded around 42Volt...

IN-WondeR Thu 24 January 2008 00:00

nexen Roller Pinion System

Have you all seen this rack and pinion...

www.nexengroup.com

The say it delivers more speed, more accuracy and less maintenance than any other system out there....

Click the link for info...

http://www.nexengroup.com/nexen/prod...duct?pn=966500

They even have a small video of the thing in action...

Gerald D Thu 24 January 2008 01:38

Hi Kim, welcome back!

See this thread:
http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244

Robert M Thu 24 January 2008 05:02

Kim,
What marketing claims is…well in my experience & opinion they just never really care about customer needs, ethics and… the environment. Actually, their paid to sell & pusha product not to care or making it better, just making more sales !
As any marketing guy will say or heard “ it’s a new old thing, just redone in a better way !”
Seen it, done it and out of it for ever !
People, be careful when it’s sound to good. It will never be said enough !!
My opinion. Amicalement Robert :)

IN-WondeR Thu 24 January 2008 12:26

Thank's Gerald...

I'm not planning on buying this, I just stumbled on it, and thought what a nice idea... So what am I doing, trying to build my own version... nice to have a Co2 Laser at your disposal... :-D

Nad as far as accuracy, I'm not sure, but I'll see what it will do later this year as I'm trying to get hold of some pretty small roller pinions for the wheel that drives along the rail... The Rail I have already made DXF for, now all I need is the roller....

And Robert... That is very true, but never the less, I'm going to try and make my own rails and rollers the nexen way to, just to try and make it work for me...

IN-WondeR Thu 24 January 2008 12:39

3 Attachment(s)
Having tried a few setups in my little case I have discovered that I think it is a little small, so I have begun making another setup, and building it all into a stand alone cabinet where both computer drive system, and computer screen will be built into, so far this is my electrical back plate...

It is lasercut, and the Riser plate for the Drives is also lasercut...

I have also included a little picture of my Homemade Power supply... Delivering 1.15Kw at 77Volt's DC unloaded, and stays stabil at 70Vdc loaded.... Nice, has a little bigger footprint due to the size of the toroidal.. 8 inches...

IN-WondeR Thu 24 January 2008 12:48

1 Attachment(s)
First try of making the rack part of the nexen...

Been cut in 10mm mild steel on the laser at work. Not the best surface, but it's kind of ok... Will try to cut it in 8mm next time, if that works out well, then I'll cut length's in 8mm Domex 650, that ought to hold for quite som time without having to surface treat the material... Otherwise, I'll cut them in Stainless Steel... :-D

Doug_Ford Thu 24 January 2008 14:58

Very impressive Kim. Good luck.

Doug_Ford Thu 24 January 2008 15:00

Beautiful!!!! She's a work of art.

smreish Thu 24 January 2008 15:19

:eek:...and Doug knows power supplies